• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags for novices

GemRock

PHP Version: 5.2.5 (Zend: 2.2.0)

HTTP Server: Apache/1.3.39

Thank you for the info, which confirms further that the Next/Prev fails to work under php 5.20 or over.

I will looking at it when have more time.

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

Hi Ken,

I recently installed header tags for novices and have to say its exactly what i wanted and does what it say on the tin.. all except for 1 error that i am gettin on my home page just above my webpage. So it all loads up but there is an error at the top of it all. Could you possibly help me on this as its about 'sessions' i think....

here it is

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/content/u/k/h/ukhome06/html/ukshop/catalog/includes/application_top.php:1) in /home/content/u/k/h/ukhome06/html/ukshop/catalog/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 97

here is the url of my index homepage if that helps.

http://ukhomeware.com/ukshop/catalog/index.php.

thx in advance.

you'd have this problem before you applied the changes i suppose.

take a look at your configure.php to see (normally the last line) if the 'STORE_SESSIONS' is set to mysql?

Ken

Hi Ken,

I recently installed header tags for novices and have to say its exactly what i wanted and does what it say on the tin.. all except for 1 error that i am gettin on my home page just above my webpage. So it all loads up but there is an error at the top of it all. Could you possibly help me on this as its about 'sessions' i think....

here it is

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

you'd have this problem before you applied the changes i suppose.

take a look at your configure.php to see (normally the last line) if the 'STORE_SESSIONS' is set to mysql?

Ken

unfortunately this did not make a difference, i am running this osc on godaddy by the way and they install it etc for me. i dont know what else i've done wrong but if i click on the add to cart button i also get the following error:

Warning: session_start(): Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /home/content/u/k/h/ukhome06/html/ukshop/catalog/includes/application_top.php:1) in /home/content/u/k/h/ukhome06/html/ukshop/catalog/includes/functions/sessions.php on line 97

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/content/u/k/h/ukhome06/html/ukshop/catalog/includes/application_top.php:1) in /home/content/u/k/h/ukhome06/html/ukshop/catalog/includes/functions/general.php on line 33

thanks for trying ken!!

Goddaddy is the last host you'd choose to host an osc shop (I am saying it is not particularly good for osc not least for someone new to osc and therefore should be avoided), especially yours seems to be a UK business.

As this thread is for the support of my header tags for novices contribution and not other general issues, I suggest you post your question to the general support or the installation support, where you might get more comprehensive answers since there's a number of reasons that could cause the problem you are experiencing. As I am the only person to answer/see question here, it is not possible for me to have the time to guide you through each of possibilities although it is not a difficult one (it'd possibly take 10 minutes at most in my experience) to pinpoint the cause if one gets full access to the site (but I dont want to, sorry).

btw i suggested in my post the problem existed before you applied my contribution but you didnt confirn or mention in you post, which is not very helpful to diagnose the problem.

Good Luck,

Ken

PS

your question has been asked many times in the general support thread so it might be a good idea you do a search for it there.

For those who dont mind to spend a few more minutes on installation of this contrib, you can make the header_tags_edit.php accessible from the catalog box:

1. open filenames.php under admin/includes/

add this line just before the closing ?> at the bottom of the file:

define('FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_EDIT', 'header_tags_edit.php');

Save & close the file.

2. open english.php (or your shop's language.php) under admin/includes/languages/

find this line:

define('BOX_CATALOG_PRODUCTS_EXPECTED', 'Products Expected');

Below it, add:

define('BOX_CATALOG_HEADER_TAGS_EDIT', 'Edit Header Tags');

Save & close the file.

3. open catalog.php under admin/includes/boxes/

find this line:

$contents[] = array('text'  => '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CATEGORIES, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_CATALOG_CATEGORIES_PRODUCTS . '</a><br>' .

below it, add:

'<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_EDIT, '', 'NONSSL') . '" class="menuBoxContentLink">' . BOX_CATALOG_HEADER_TAGS_EDIT . '</a><br>' .

Save & close the file.

Now, you can access the Edit Header Tag function from the catalog box.

Enjoy!

Ken

Hi Ken, I added the line you said to add and now i can not access my admin. How can i undo this?

Thanks,

Brian

You likely has made an error when you edited th efiles. Try to replace the edited files with your backup files (you should have backups BEFORE you made changes).

Next time, do one at a time and test it see if you can still access admin so that you know which one might have caused the problem.

One example: if you add the line after the last '?>' as in filenames.php, not BEFORE it, then you may get a blank screen.

Hi Ken, I added the line you said to add and now i can not access my admin. How can i undo this?

Thanks,

Brian

Could you post the file in question here and I will post it back here with error free - it is not difficult to fix at all.

Ken

Hi,

I was adding the lines you suggested about the make the header_tags_edit.php accessible from the catalog box.

After i finished the last one where i added '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_HEADER_TAGS_EDIT, ' ', 'NONSSL') . '"

class="menueboxcontentlink">' . BOX_CATALOG_HEADER_TAGS_EDIT . '</a><br>' .

save & close the file.

Now i can open my admin but when i click on anything in there like customes, files, order etc. I get (Parse error: parse error, unexpected T_CONSTANT_ENCAPSED_STRING, expecting ')' in c:\websites\surveyorsplace209\surveyorsplace.com\oscommerce\admin\includes\boxes\catalog.php on line 26)

Can you please help me get it back to where it was working before. Even when i try to look at my files in my web based ftp, it won't let me look at the folders.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Brian

Hi,

So far, my Header Tags for Novices works very nice. I just installed if, and everything looks as good as it can. Is it a way to get it to work with several languages? I have English and Swedish installed, but it seems as for example manually added keywords are shown in the English page, and no new keywords are shown when switching to Swedish.

Later, I want to use a SEO contribution. Is it any particular that works/is recommended with HTfN?

I'm new to OsCommerce, and not good in php.

Thank you in advance,

Lollo

The current version only works with English language.

The contribution & seo urls (by chemo) do not interfere with each other. you'd start with seo urls v2.1c (by chemo). dont be put off by the year of its release. little change ever since as far as seo urls are concerned. if that version works then look no further - no such thing as upgrade.

Ken

Hi,

So far, my Header Tags for Novices works very nice. I just installed if, and everything looks as good as it can. Is it a way to get it to work with several languages? I have English and Swedish installed, but it seems as for example manually added keywords are shown in the English page, and no new keywords are shown when switching to Swedish.

Later, I want to use a SEO contribution. Is it any particular that works/is recommended with HTfN?

I'm new to OsCommerce, and not good in php.

Thank you in advance,

Lollo

The contribution & seo urls (by chemo) do not interfere with each other. you'd start with seo urls v2.1c (by chemo). dont be put off by the year of its release. little change ever since as far as seo urls are concerned. if that version works then look no further - no such thing as upgrade.

Ken

FWR Media has uploaded a fixed version of 2.1d of seo urls (by chemo). This one works.

there's nothing to fix for most of the installations. the so called seo urls validation is trying to fix a non existent 'problem' and not worth the time in my view. and I am not keen on the seo urls admin side.

2.1d might works and so does 2.1c. what i want to say to new comers is that 'upgrade' to a 'higher' version wont make your site's PR higher or better in any way.

the good thing is it is easy to try different seo class - you just over-write it with another one to see if theres any difference.

as far as I am concerned, if a site has a special needs (eg, info page), I just make changes to the seo class so that info pages also works as the product pages.

Ken

Ken

Thank you for experienced input. You are indicating in the contribution page that there is a way of "working around" the issue with more than one language - is it? Or can I hard code it in some way?

Very smart contribution you have.

Lollo

Hi Lollo

Yes, I think you can if you dont mind to do a 'hard coded' copy of it for nay language you have on your osc site.

1. make a copy of the header_tags_edit.php file, and rename as, eg, header_tags_edit_yl.php (replace yl with the first two letters or the language code of your language);

2. edit the new header_tags_edit_yl.php, add this line just under 'require('includes/application_top.php');':

$languages_id = 2;

replace 2 with the language id of your language (2 is for german);

3. either call the new header_tags_edit_yl.php directly or add it to the catalog box in the same way as the header_tags_edit.php.

I havent tested it myself but believe it should work. you might also want to translate the header_tags_edit.php language file into your language, re-name it as header_tags_edit_yl.php and copy it to the relevant language folder.

Good Luck!

Ken

Edited by GemRock

there's nothing to fix for most of the installations. the so called seo urls validation is trying to fix a non existent 'problem' and not worth the time in my view. and I am not keen on the seo urls admin side.

2.1d might works and so does 2.1c. what i want to say to new comers is that 'upgrade' to a 'higher' version wont make your site's PR higher or better in any way.

the good thing is it is easy to try different seo class - you just over-write it with another one to see if theres any difference.

as far as I am concerned, if a site has a special needs (eg, info page), I just make changes to the seo class so that info pages also works as the product pages.

Ken

I was not referring to the validation, just getting it the ultimate SEO installed. The 2.1d by FWR was the only one that I could get to work (plus he is supporting it).

I agree whole heartedly about upgrading to newer versions. If it aint broken, don't fix it.

...with the language id of your language ...

I have been asked how to find out the language id of a chosen language. heres how:

1. log on to phpMyAdmin, open the languages table and you'd see the language id there; or

2. admin - localisation - languages, select the language, click edit then look at the url in the address bar, you'd see something like 'ID=', the number following it is the language id in question.

Ken

I finally got a chance to install my contribution to one site that uses STS (I was asked by the site owner to do it for him). I must say I 'd not be able to give any instructions how to do it had I not had the chance to looking at the whole file set of the site.

The sts used on the site seems different from those that are mentioned in this support thread, perhaps an earlier version. By adding directly the header/meta tags to, eg, product_info.php wont work because what the sts does is suppress the original header of any file (under the web root folder), then replace it with its own and this is the problem. To solve the problem you'd have to force it to use the orginal header and dump its own. This can be achieved by modified files that related to the sts and especially the root of the problem in question.

I am not sure if it'd help to give a step by step guide (its a bit complicated) as I am not familiar with all versions of sts and how different they would be, and think it'd better be dealt with on a case by case basis. What I can say is there's always a way of doing it if you want to.

Ken

Heres the site with sts mentioned in my last post:

Header tags for novices with STS

I havent got the permission of the original site owner to post a link to his here, but I can show a demo version of the same site & same sts with stock osc products.

Also installed are chemo's ultimate seo urls & googlesitemaps. All working as they should. If you recognise the sts used on the site and think it is the same as yours then your site can use Header tags for novices as well.

Ken

Edited by GemRock

Heres the site with sts mentioned in my last post:

Header tags for novices with STS

I havent got the permission of the original site owner to post a link to his here, but I can show a demo version of the same site & same sts with stock osc products.

Also installed are chemo's ultimate seo urls & googlesitemaps. All working as they should. If you recognise the sts used on the site and think it is the same as yours then your site can use Header tags for novices as well.

Ken

Ken, STS doesn't have a "look" that someone can recognize as STS. STS allows the user to come up with their own web design much the same way you would design a typical web site.

From what you mentioned above, I would say that you were dealing with a much older version of STS. You can tell by looking at the configure.php files and see if there are any STS defines within it. The newer versions of STS (4 and higher) do not make any changes to the configure.php files and is very easy to integrate other osCommerce contributions.

Hope this little bit helped,

Bill Kellum

Sounds Good Productions

STS Tutorials & more: STSv4.6, STS Add-ons (STS Power Pack), STS V4 Forum STS Forum FREE TEMPLATE

Ken, STS doesn't have a "look" that someone can recognize as STS. STS allows the user to come up with their own web design much the same way you would design a typical web site.

From what you mentioned above, I would say that you were dealing with a much older version of STS. You can tell by looking at the configure.php files and see if there are any STS defines within it. The newer versions of STS (4 and higher) do not make any changes to the configure.php files and is very easy to integrate other osCommerce contributions.

Hope this little bit helped,

Thank you for the tips, Bill.

As I always say I am not familiar with STS since I havent used any of them as yet. I didnt have and didnt want to spend too much time on it when I tried to install my header tags to that site. I first looked at the product info php and thought thats pretty normal but soon realised the header part was ignored somehow i then started looked around starting from application top and found a few lines of code that should not normally be there, which led me to the cause of the problem. I undid these and the header tags worked ust as intended, with the original desing unchanged.

btw, while you are here and you seem ( you are arent you) a sts guru, could you tell me if any sts could easily build a site like this one? I might just start using sts perhaps. I know sts musy be very useful or there'd not be so many people using it. but I am not quite sure it could really do whatever you like. Thank you.

Ken

Edited by GemRock

• 3 weeks later...
Hi Lollo

Yes, I think you can if you dont mind to do a 'hard coded' copy of it for nay language you have on your osc site.

1. make a copy of the header_tags_edit.php file, and rename as, eg, header_tags_edit_yl.php (replace yl with the first two letters or the language code of your language);

2. edit the new header_tags_edit_yl.php, add this line just under 'require('includes/application_top.php');':

$languages_id = 2;

replace 2 with the language id of your language (2 is for german);

3. either call the new header_tags_edit_yl.php directly or add it to the catalog box in the same way as the header_tags_edit.php.

I havent tested it myself but believe it should work. you might also want to translate the header_tags_edit.php language file into your language, re-name it as header_tags_edit_yl.php and copy it to the relevant language folder.

Good Luck!

Ken

Thank you Ken,

I have been on tour and not replied, and will try this. Excellent :)

Hi I need some help.

I have installed a few other contributions so I'm not sure if this is why i'm getting the error message.

I installed

Additional Images v 2.0.0

Ultimate SEO URLs

Purchase without account

After pulling up the Header_Tags_Edit.php file on my browser I get the following error message.

1054 - Unknown column 'pd.title_tag' in 'field list'

select p.products_id, pd.products_name, pd.title_tag, pd.desc_tag, pd.keywords_tag, p.manufacturers_id from products p, products_description pd, products_to_categories pc where p.products_id = pd.products_id and pd.language_id = '1' and p.products_id = pc.products_id and pc.categories_id = '2' limit 0, 10

[TEP STOP]

Can anyone tell me how to correct this?

Thank you for help!

You must view at least one product on the shop front before you can run the header_tags_edit.php at admin, as the instruction says. By doing that, the script will create new fields for you so that you dont need to create the new fields manually.

Ken

Edited by GemRock

Hallo again,

I'm experiencing problems with HTN, for some reason I don't understand. The tags on the product page are not updating with what I put in header_tags_edit, but the tags are in the database, so that part works. The description and keywords are collected from what I type as product name and product description, (which is good), but what I want is to be able to adjust that info from header_tags_edit. For some reason tag info is not picked up from the database. Where can I look, what have I done wrong, what to do...?

I have checked write permissions. From host webshell it says "777". From Dreamweaver, it says "644". I think I have changed name on admin folder since installation of HTN - will that affect it somehow?

Thank you.

Lollo

Hallo again,

Lollo

Only one place to look at (unless something extraordinary):

application_top.php - double check against the instructions;

the tags info you enter is picked up in that file and that file only.

of course, the products_info.php is also relevant.

Ken