• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Header Tags for novices

GemRock

sorry duplicate somehow. see below.

Edited by GemRock

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

You don't have to use header_tags_edit.php. It can by default use your product name and/or product description to populate the meta tags when you go to product_info pages. Whether it works or not can first be judged by looking at the the meta tags as just mentioned.

Without more details of your site/.installation, it is hard to say what may cause the error. Check your instalation is what I can suggest at the moment.

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

...Is this compatible with SEO-G?...

The short answer is I don't know. It was released b4 seo-g.

Ken

The short answer is I don't know. It was released b4 seo-g.

Ken

Thanks Ken, I am sure it worked ages ago though...

This is the contribution that puts the product name (etc) at the top of the browser page?

i.e. this page is called 'OsCommerce Community Forums > Repling in Header Tags for novices'

Thanks Ken, I am sure it worked ages ago though...

This is the contribution that puts the product name (etc) at the top of the browser page?

i.e. this page is called 'OsCommerce Community Forums > Repling in Header Tags for novices'

Yes it can show the product name at the top of the browser, ie, the (windows/browser) title bar, as mentioned in some of the posts under this support thread.

Ken

Yes it can show the product name at the top of the browser, ie, the (windows/browser) title bar, as mentioned in some of the posts under this support thread.

Ken

On every page mine just shows 'PDAs4U - Online PDA & Accessory shop' http://www.pdas4u.co.uk/shop/index.php

Even on every product page that is the header.

This is my productinfo.php file (top)

<head>

<title><?php echo $header_tags[products_name]; ?></title>

<meta name="description" content="<?php echo $header_tags[desc_tag]; ?>">

<meta name="keywords" content="<?php echo $header_tags[keywords_tag]; ?>">

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=<?php echo CHARSET; ?>">

<title><?php echo TITLE; ?></title>

<base href="<?php echo (($request_type == 'SSL') ? HTTPS_SERVER : HTTP_SERVER) . DIR_WS_CATALOG; ?>">

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">

</head>

On every page mine just shows 'PDAs4U - Online PDA & Accessory shop' http://www.pdas4u.co.uk/shop/index.php

Sorry I missed your post but just followed the link to your osc shop and saw the cat or product name showed on the title bar of the product info pages correctly, so think you ahve finally made it work.

Ken

Cannot seem to get this mod working...

When i go to header_tags_edit.php I get the following error..

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare tep_db_connect() (previously declared in /var/www/vhosts/pdas4u.co.uk/httpdocs/shop/admin/includes/functions/database.php:13) in /var/www/vhosts/pdas4u.co.uk/httpdocs/shop/admin/includes/functions/database.php on line 13

You need to make sure you uploaded the language files to their correct location.

A further look at the page source and found you seemed to be using a sts template, which you did not mention in your posts. I think that (the sts template) would be the reason why you had difficulties to install the contrib. Your product description did not show in the description meta tag. It showed thr product name instead. wonder if this is what your want?

Ken

• 2 weeks later...
I tried this contribution in a shop that has STS 2.0.1 installed but it didn't work, anyone know how to make it work with STS 2.0.1 ?

Have you tried to follow the the suggestions in install_instructions_for_sts.txt in the download package?

Ken

Hi there, I installed HTC and the STS bundle... and everything was working fine, until I renamed and added some new pages. Now I can't seem to add any header info to any of my new pages, but the header info does seem to be working for the pages for the previously named (but non-existent) files... I also can't seem to modify any of the title information for my about_us, page, but that seems to be the only one! Is there anything I should have done before renaming these files, and/or adding new files? Now I'm totally stuck, can I clear the database and reinstall a few key files to get a fresh HTC?

Here's my shop:

http://www.perfectlocks.com

I find that to be very odd! Any idea why this could be happening?

Hi there, I installed HTC and the STS bundle...

This support thread is for Header Tags For Novices ONLY. I can't answer questions for other contribs.

Yari:

Sorry, as I don't use any version of sts, so I have no idea how to make it work with sts 2. You may try to compare your sts with the newer one that people have managed to make it work with my contrib.

Ken

Hi,

I added and changed the code, but when I click in a product I can´t see the products name, it only shows the link for that product.

Did I miss something?

Hi,

I added and changed the code, but when I click in a product I can´t see the products name, it only shows the link for that product.

Did I miss something?

would you mind to post the link to your site?

Ken

would you mind to post the link to your site?

Ken

Hey,

Thanks for your answer.

The problem was solved, everything is working perfectly. :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

I've just installed this contrib....what a fantastic idea! I had no ends of problem with another header contribution, but this one was a breeze. Hopefully I'll start to reap the rewards with lots of new visitors.

Great work!

• 5 weeks later...

I seem to have found a bug in the code somewhere, not really sure where yet, but this may help others in the same situation.

Install for HTFN went well, Just when I thought everything was working perfectly, I tried to change the results per page from 20 to say 300. When changing the results the page reloaded to the same page I was on (20 results). Strangely enough I went into admin, Maximum values and change the default "Search results" from 20 to 50 then went back to the header_tages_edit.php and guess what, now Im showing 50 results per page.

I'm very very confused. Incidently, I cant change from say page 1 to page 3 either. Same thing, the current page just reloads. I should note however that the URL at the top does change. Hmmm

Any ideas anyone?

I seem to have found a bug...

I suggest you try to install this contrib on a stock osCommerce and see if the so-called 'bug' still happens. I guess it is more to do with your shop including the server that hosts it, eg, register_globals, php/mysql version etc.

Ken

marekp

I just installed the Header Tags for Novices Version 2 and I am heving this problem: Fatal error: Call to a member function call_api() on a non-object in /home/cartridg/public_html/checkout_process.php on line 102

Any ideas how to fix it?

Today, 04:54 AM

the contrib has nothing to do with checkout_process.php, so I don't know how/why you got that error, unless you accidentally changed something in application_top.php which you shouldn't. so first thing i would suggest you check that file to make sure theres nothing wrong there, or you could just use your backup copy of that file to see if the error goes away, assuming your shop worked before you installed this contrib.

Ken

btw do not make your question as a comment in my profile or pm me for support issues.