• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal IPN & Option Type Feature - HELP!

WestValley

I apoligize if this has already been addressed in the 100+ pages of the Official IPN thread, but I couldn't find any answer.

Has anyone found the solution to getting these two to work together? It has to be an IPN issue since orders placed with check/money order come through just fine.

I have a live store and NEED these two to work together since the majority of my customers must be too impatient to "return to merchant" to complete the order process. I'm receiving payment but have no order in the admin area. Nothing more unprofessional than having to ask the customer what they ordered.

Anyone? Please?

Scott

What version of the IPN module do you have? I think only the most recent one handles the issue of orders not being generated if a customer doesn't click the final link.

Troy Wilson

Keepsake-storybooks.com

What version of the IPN module do you have? I think only the most recent one handles the issue of orders not being generated if a customer doesn't click the final link.

As far as I know, all of the IPN modules put the order into the orders table with a special status before sending the customer to PayPal. When the IPN occurs after the customer clicks "Pay" at PayPal, the IPN handler simply updates the status to "Pending". If PayPal isn't able to reach your IPN handler due to misconfiguration or network problems, orders get stuck in a status like "Preparing [PayPal IPN]", which is the value that the "osCommerce PayPal IPN Module", contribution #2679, uses. With these modules, if the customer doesn't return to the store, the cart isn't emptied, but the order is in the order table.

The original PayPal module supplied with osC distributions requires the customer to return to your shop to move the order into the orders table and empty the cart. There are several contributions that attempt to deal with the problem, though the best solution is to use either one of the IPN contributions or the new PayPal Express Checkout module by AlexStudio. I haven't used it myself, but it is based on dynamoeffects' Website Payments Pro module (which I have used), with a bunch of enhancements.

--Glen

I think I may have found the solution!! Did a couple of test orders and all seems to be working. All attributes (regular and customer entered text via Option Type Feature) come through just fine, so I'm crossing my fingers.

I missed this important note in the IPN ver. 2.2 installation instructions. It states:

"... whenever you make ANY change to checkout_process.php you MUST manually merge the change into paypal_ipn.php and ipn.php.

The PayPal IPN works different from other payment modules and bypasses the checkout_process file. Which means that any contribution which modifies the checkout_process.php file will require some manual coding TLC in paypal_ipn.php and ipn.php ..."

Next thing on my list is to get the Option Type Feature text field labels to appear in the shopping cart, order emails, admin area, etc. It's not a production-stopping issue, but I just hope it doesn't take me a week to figure it out.