• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal IPN/Email Address Error

Kanie

I have installed and currently maintain several osCommerce installations for multiple clients of mine, all of whom use PayPal to accept orders. More specifically, all of the installations use the the PayPal_Shopping_Cart_IPN 3.1.5 (http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1753) module to process the payments.

Over the last two days, I have received numerous emails regarding an error some customers have been receiving at 2 or 3 of the stores:

"We cannot process this transaction because there is a problem with the PayPal email address supplied by the seller. Please contact the seller to resolve the problem. If this payment is for an eBay listing, you can contact the seller via the "Ask Seller a Question" link on the listing page. When you have the correct email address, payment can be made at www.paypal.com"

As I maintain the backends of all the stores, I know none of the settings had been changed and that since the error was happening on multiple, completely independent osC installations that the problem was probably related to a change in the way PayPal accepts or verifies orders.

I've found some other users here who have received the same error, but nobody seems to have a 100% working fix. For the time being I have enabled the option for users to select their own shipping address within PayPal, which seems to have fixed the error, but I'm not 100% happy with that fix. Is there another way?

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Kanie

Just to let you know I have the exact same problem. Only some of my customers get this error (I run my own OsCommerce website).

I called PayPal's support and they claim there is no problem. The payments are being sent to the correct address and only some of the customers are having this problem.

I just got a reply from the PayPal Merchant Technical Support:

"We are aware of this issue with some payments not going through and our engineers are actively working to resolve it.

As soon as I am aware that the problem has been resolved, I will notify you via reply to this email. "

David

David, thanks for that information. If you could keep us informed of the progress, it would be greatly appreciated...

I think the problem is related to discrepancies between the information the osC installation holds and the information PayPal is holding. For one, it doesn't seem to like users with a different email than their PayPal one to. It may also be checking addresses of customers..

As I said in my original post, check the option to allow PayPal addresses and it should temporarily fix it for most customers, but it's not a great solution.

the issue they tell me is:

The issue you are describing is common when the 'address_override' parameter is used. This parameter tells the PayPal system that the shipping address provided by the customer must be on their PayPal account. If your buyer attempts to make a payment using the PayPal Account Optional feature however, they will receive an error as they do not have a PayPal account to check the address against.

Check your PayPal code and if you have the address_override parameter coded, simply comment it out or remove it. Alternatively, you can go into your PayPal account's profile and turn off the PayPal Account Optional feature.

anyone know how to fix - dont want to turn off the account optional feature

Edited by jody00

Just got a reply from PayPal again:

"Hello my name is Gil, I will be happy to assist you with your question

regarding your PayPal account.

We've check your account is ok, please let us know if this issue still

remains.

Thanks again for contacting us, and thank you for being part of the

PayPal community."

It's obviously something between OsCommerce and PayPal. Paypal probably changed something in their system and no there is this error.

Did anyone find a pattern to this error? Most of my customers have no problem but the ones who do cannot get past this problem. What I do is ask them to paypal the money directly to my email address which is the same I use on OsCommerce PayPal module. They have no problem paying this way.

For easier editing, I'll repost the code here.

The code is in /catalog//includes/modules/payment/paypal.php

Currently the work around for this error is to change a small piece of code that is being sent to PayPal.

If you edit the following line of code in your existing unencrypted buttons:

<input type="hidden" name="no_shipping" value="1">

to read

<input type="hidden" name="no_shipping" value="0">

To change it, search in paypal.php for "no_shipping" it only occurs once.

Hope this helps, please report if it works!

• 2 weeks later...
I thought it was fixed too and I also did the fix offered on this thread but just today one customer complained about it.

I'll see if any more complain.

I had another customer complain to me about this today also and I have had a couple of others go back and pay with a credit card instead of Paypal. I haven't tried messing with anything yet. I just came here to see if there was a fix to the problem.

Brenda

• 2 weeks later...