• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google's link:yourdomain.com function messed up

jpweber

I'm unsure as to why, when I do a link:thevisiondepot.com, nothing comes up. It's a relatively new site; been live for 3.5 months, submitted sitemap about 3 months ago.

- I've been backlinking like crazy, night and day. I've avoided link farming, to the best of my knowledge. I've paid for some directories (yahoo, business.com), and I've done some reciprocals with Links Manager, and many 1-way free directories.

- Most of all, I have 2 major PR5 large corporations who put me on their "partners" page -- and their "partners" pages are PR5 also.

When I do a google exact phrase match "The Vision Depot" (WITH quotation marks), anywhere from 150-180 links come up -- the PR5 corporation linkscome up, the directories come up, blogs come up. But yet when I do link:thevisiondepot.com, nothing comes up!

I think that the work I've put in to the directories and other backlinks will eventually "count" toward a pagerank, but in the meantime, Google is just too lazy to both listing 'em with their link: function? Anybody have any clue on this one?

Jason

Simple 1-2-3 Intructions on how to get, install and configure SSL

The Google Sandbox explained

Simple to follow instructions on how to change the look of your OSC

How To Make A Horrible OSC Website

my toolbox: All things WordPress-related - All things Adobe-related - PHP Designer 2007 - Codecanyon Junkie - Crimson Editor - Winmerge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP

my installed contributions: Category Banners, File Upload feature-.77, Header Tags, Sort_Product_Attributes_1, XSellv2.3, Price Break 1.11.2, wishlist 3.5, rollover_category_images_v1.2, Short_Description_v2.1, UPSXML_v1_2_3, quickbooks qbi_v2_10, allprods v4.4, Mouseover-effect for image-buttons 1.0, Ultimate_SEO, AAP 1.41, Auto Select State Value, Fast Easy Checkout, Dynamic SiteMap v2.0, Image Magic, Links Manager 1.14, Featured Products, Customer Testimonials, Article Manager, FAQ System, and I'm sure more ...

Google never shows all of the backlinks to a site. They also only update PR 1-3 times a year. So it could be that you just haven't waited long enough.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I'm in the same boat, I've been told that you can expect to wait a year before getting any major attention from Google. I've been looking at some of my competitors that are getting top listing in Google on my number 1 keyword, and their domain ages are all around 7-10 years!!

That is a scary thought. How much emphasis is Google placing on Domain age???

Google never shows all of the backlinks to a site. They also only update PR 1-3 times a year. So it could be that you just haven't waited long enough.

Jack

Jason: I believe a LOT has to do with domain age. I have a little static, weak website that I did for a company in 1998 when I worked there. They're small, but stable. They have nobody that knows how to do website stuff there. They moved in 2002, but their old street address is still there. They haven't changed the website an iota. It's a brutal, static, simple website that's not optimized at all.

It has a PR 4. The company has been around 80 years, the domain is now about 9 years old. I think domain age plays an important role with Google.

Jason

my toolbox: All things WordPress-related - All things Adobe-related - PHP Designer 2007 - Codecanyon Junkie - Crimson Editor - Winmerge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP

my installed contributions: Category Banners, File Upload feature-.77, Header Tags, Sort_Product_Attributes_1, XSellv2.3, Price Break 1.11.2, wishlist 3.5, rollover_category_images_v1.2, Short_Description_v2.1, UPSXML_v1_2_3, quickbooks qbi_v2_10, allprods v4.4, Mouseover-effect for image-buttons 1.0, Ultimate_SEO, AAP 1.41, Auto Select State Value, Fast Easy Checkout, Dynamic SiteMap v2.0, Image Magic, Links Manager 1.14, Featured Products, Customer Testimonials, Article Manager, FAQ System, and I'm sure more ...

I'm unsure as to why, when I do a link:thevisiondepot.com, nothing comes up. It's a relatively new site; been live for 3.5 months, submitted sitemap about 3 months ago.

Put a space between the colon and thevisiondepot.com; thusly: link: thevisiondepot.com

Also try link: www.thevisondepot.com

For fun try with and without the space for these:

site:thevisiondepot.com

site: thevisiondelot.com

I didn't try the site: with the www but feel free...

BFC

Put a space between the colon and thevisiondepot.com; thusly: link: thevisiondepot.com

Also try link: www.thevisondepot.com

For fun try with and without the space for these:

site:thevisiondepot.com

site: thevisiondelot.com

I didn't try the site: with the www but feel free...

BFC

When you put in a space, then you are just searching for "link" and "thevisiondepot.com" and are completely defeating the purpose! :-"

When you put in a space, then you are just searching for "link" and "thevisiondepot.com" and are completely defeating the purpose! :-"

When I try it with my domain name every result is a page that now links, or has linked to my site in the past; in other words every result listed is absolutely relevant.

The results also seem to contain lots of listings of pages my Google Adwords have appeared on.

When I look at available cached results there is always a link to my site on the page Google caches.

What is funny is that not all the pages I know link to my site appear when putting the space in... and without the space I have never gotten any results; though I know lots of very relevant pages link to my site.

Wow, that's pretty wild. When I do a link : thevisiondepot.com, many more of my backlinks show up. Excellent catch! It's just a break in Google's function that it doesn't work or something!

Jason

unfortunately, I think Jason may be right on this one .... I mean, it's just looking for pages that have thevisiondepot.com and link in them at the same time. Some of my better PR5 backlinks don't show up when doing that because there's no "link" in the page.

The only way I can truly tell my accurate number of backlinks is by putting "the vision depot" in the exact phrase match, or in quotation marks.

Jason

unfortunately, I think Jason may be right on this one .... I mean, it's just looking for pages that have thevisiondepot.com and link in them at the same time. Some of my better PR5 backlinks don't show up when doing that because there's no "link" in the page.

The only way I can truly tell my accurate number of backlinks is by putting "the vision depot" in the exact phrase match, or in quotation marks.

Yes - the space after the colon does not reflect the Google function for showing which links they have for you for the link: function.

But - putting the space in will show you that links do exist, albeit not very good ones in most cases.

From time to time I also do a standard search on www.mydomainname.com too. Many of the "good" links are in those results though they do not come up if I use the link:www.mydomainname.com.

Like I read somewhere else - maybe Google doesn't update the data used by the link: function or PR often.

If you generate sitemaps for them and sign up for the Google sitemaps feature there are some other neat things you can see too after some time.

BFC

I would have to agree, my old website that went into liquidation, and only now has a holding page, has 6 back links, zero content and a page rank of 4.

http://www.almatcomputers.co.uk (not advertsing as its a deceased business adventure)

Whereas my main website, has quite a lot of content, a large number of backlinks and has a page rank of 0, so unsure how google works and the time taken to spider your site, but I suppose its the good old waiting game as always with SEO and rankings etc.

Archived