• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Passing the fee charged by paypal back to the invoice...or something

cybercomputing

I'm currently using the Paypal IPN module. Is there anyway (or does someone already have it setup) to pass back the paypal fee back to the information in the order? That possible? Less of a headache then to go look it up everytime. Still new to this Oscommerce/etc but things working well so far.

Thanks!

Edited by cybercomputing

Why would you WANT to do this?

this fee is "the cost of doing business"

I just took an order for and my paypal fee was over $75!!!

Yea it sucks but I price out my products to still make money with this fee, same as if I take a credit card or whatever

I think If I were a customer of yours and saw that I had to Pay EXTRA to buy something from you, I'd move on and find it elsewhere, even if elsewhere it was more!

Suck it up and pay it yourself, or charge more for the product, but don't let a customer see you doing this or you will loose MANY!

Or you just want this for your accounting?

Sorry if I first misread your post... I was in a mood that I'm now out of!

LOL... Sorry :rolleyes:

But if you are doing this... Shame on you... :P

Cybercomputing, it's against PayPal rules. If they find out you're doing that, they'll close your account.

Besides, all your fees should be built into the price of the product, no need to 'add' extra fees.

Thanks for the responses, i didn't say i wanted to charge the customer for this. I just simply want to show what Paypal is taking out in fee's on each order.

IE, they spend $100 total (90$, 10$ shipping) so i'd like a line or box to show "Paypal Fee : $3.50 (made that up). It's more for accounting. Been in business since before paypal started and have used them since they did. I know you are not suppose to charge for accepting it... Just like when accepting visa/mastercard direct, you dont' tack on the discount percentage you are paying =) Anyway... Any thoughts on how to do this?'

Thanks

-Eric

Cyber Computing Owner

hi Eric,

sure you can add a column to yur orders table and when IPN tells your database that the payment has been verified, grab the variable for the fee and enter it into the orders table. The variable name is payment_fee ...

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

So is there any contributions or code already written to do so? Unfortunately my PHP skills are lacking =) If anyone already has something setup and would like to share, would be appreciated.

Thanks!

hi Eric,

sure you can add a column to yur orders table and when IPN tells your database that the payment has been verified, grab the variable for the fee and enter it into the orders table. The variable name is payment_fee ...

Hi Eric, nope, I have not seen a contribution hack for the osCommerce paypal IPN module yet on this topic.

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

Hi Eric, nope, I have not seen a contribution hack for the osCommerce paypal IPN module yet on this topic.

Eric, I guess I'm still a bit foggy on why you would want to do this though? I mean, as a customer, I couldn't care less what YOUR PayPal fees are. All I want to know is what MY price is going to be. So other than added work for you and possibly taking a chance you might piss off customers by sort of 'complaining' about PayPal fees on their invoice, I'm not sure what benefit it is to you? Or am I missing something?

Michelle

http:www.bkkbint.com

Before setting up the store (I mainly sell on ebay) i'd copy the paypal fee to the invoice for accounting purposes (using quickbooks and i'd call this whatever fee i want and it would keep track). I wanted to do the same thing with store orders (actually all orders will be store orders...using auctionblox to transfer ebay customers to my checkout site). It's basically an accounting thing on my side. Did about 2000 invoices in 2006 and not one complaint about seeing what paypal/amazon/whatever payment service fee's were on the invoice. Honestly don't think many even look at the invoices for auctions. Anyway! That's the reasoning behind wanted to pull that information into some box on the form. For now it seems i'll just login to paypal and print out a list of fee's before each withdrawal.

Hope that explains it!

PS : If anyone ends up making this happen or had it running, would appreciate the code =)

Eric, I guess I'm still a bit foggy on why you would want to do this though? I mean, as a customer, I couldn't care less what YOUR PayPal fees are. All I want to know is what MY price is going to be. So other than added work for you and possibly taking a chance you might piss off customers by sort of 'complaining' about PayPal fees on their invoice, I'm not sure what benefit it is to you? Or am I missing something?

Michelle

http:www.bkkbint.com

Cybercomputing, it's against PayPal rules. If they find out you're doing that, they'll close your account.

Only if it's an eBay order. If you read PayPal's T&Cs you'll find that you can levy a charge as long as it's not an eBay order. Terra

Edited by Terra

My code for combining PayPal IPN with ** QTPro 4.25 ** osC Affiliate ** CCGV(trad)

and how to solve the invoice already paid error

General info: Allow customer to delete order comment ** FTP Programs & Text Editors ** Amending order email **

I thought they specified your not suppose to do it at all (exception are a few countries though)...All US credit card mechants specifically tell you that you are not allowed to charge a fee for accept credit cards, nor can you set a minimum on purchases if they are paying with a credit card. That used to be the rules a few years ago, haven't bothered checking since then ...I agree with the previous poster, it's part of doing business and set it in the price (or add a generic handling charge to your shipping to help cover it). Either way =) Looking forward to your next IPN release! Thanks again for all the help.

-Eric

Only if it's an eBay order. If you read PayPal's T&Cs you'll find that you can levy a charge as long as it's not an eBay order. Terra