• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Check My Site Out

*c57.us*

I think I forgot to put the address the first time.

http://www.c57.us

I need some feedback on this site. Constructive criticism. I have installed every contribute I could think that will make it much easier on both myself and my customers. Also things suggested by pros in the forums. Let me know about the flow, colors, text, images and etc. Any suggestions on faster load times would help also. I like the music and color of the banner but if I have to move it I will.

well.

the flash on the homepage took about 5mins to load on a T1 connection!

so that needs to be optimized or removed, also,

why are you playing me a song?

the layout is completly screwed in FF 1.5 and IE 6 ,

nice logo but it doesnt match the sites color scheme.

i dont like the green infobox borders,

you have removed the right column (which i do like) but you have left the space for it.

when you click on the T-Shirts tab it doesnt actually take you anywhere the first time, (if this makes sense you have to click it twice)

i like how you have put the search in the header but the layout needs addressing, it doesnt look right,

i also dont see the need for account.php, images in the header(if this makes sense atall)

you have removed some of the stock images shich is good, but some still remain i.e. the buttons, so change these,

finally, it would be nice to see an actuall picture of the t-shirts, or at the very least the shape of a t-shirt woth the design on it. as at the moment i do not know how the shirts wil actually look.

good luck.

there are many good things though,

Well I am assuming that the flash content has been removed because the page just loaded right up w/ no music.

I agree with nicangeli about the color scheme. Your logo is nice, so I would keep it. Just change the other colors of the site to match. The buttons that you have (search, buy now, etc...) lend themselves well to your logo. Maybe you should consider changing the borders on everything to the dark blue that is in your logo?

As far as content, it would be nice to actually see a t-shirt w/ the image so that I can tell what it will look like. ( I know, already said, but a very good point.)

Also, having the bar on the top and on the bottom makes it feel like the site should be enclosed in a box, but there isn't one. I would suggest dropping the bar on the bottom (w/ the date and such). It is not really needed, and just gives a weird feeling.

Are you planning to add more categories than just "T-Shirts" soon? If not, that is ok, but I would get rid of the categories box, or change it to more sub-categories instead (i.e. spiritual, animals, kids, etc...). If so, I would do it soon, because right now it just seems pointless as is. Especially the tab that you have on the top all by itself. It just gives the feeling that there should be more but isn't.

Otherwise, I like the layout, and the flow is very nice. You may want to consider adding the Pay Without Account module to your site. Just to allow people to pay and tell you where to ship it. It really doesn't change any of the info that they give you, it just makes them feel like they are saving time and not registering for spam. For $12 products, it will probably help a lot.

Brian Quinney

I have decided to leave the t shirt images as they are right now until I can get the images to display correct proportions on tees. I seemany other very successful sites with just the images and dropdowns or options of the shirt colors. I will probably place options of shirt colors as images for now. Still tweaking things for both myself and end user.

From the first feedbacks I gather that you must have changed the whole shop as I cannot see anything else than an out of the box osC with changed colours. Sorry to say that but like this with no real images of how the tees will look like, I wouldn't buy from you. The buttons don't match the overall theme of your shop. The colours of the logo don't go too well with the red.

Your only language is English and you only offer one currency so I would get rid of those two boxes in the right column.

Without any products in the two additional categories, I would either remove them or add something so that clicking on the tabs at the top leads so a product.

You should certainly add SSL to give your customers that feeling of trustworthyness.

As far as I know tees come in different sizes so you'll need to add them too.

I couldn't find any physical business address or phone number. I even haven't got a clue which country you are in. That's important in case the customer needs to contact you.

I like the verification code on the contact us page.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

I had a lot of product at first but, my t shirt images were are rectangles. I found a way to put them on shirts. I should have everything populated in a few days. I took all the flash out because of slow page load times. I am still working on a few things. The infoboxes will have pictures in the background. I think it is more important to make sure my coding is correct and I have product in every category that I have bisible. I have the product it is a matter of putting it up. From reading the forums I have learned a lot. I want to add an ssl. but I don't know how to add it without breaking the store. I have some contributions installed to help the whole backend process run smoother like butter. If anyone sees this and know of a solution for adding ssl without having to reinstall. i would greatlly appreciate your advice. I am on the web all the time.

To add an SSL certificate you first need to purchase one and you'll need the assistance of your webhost to install it on the server. Make sure you get it issued to either www.yourdomain.com or yourdomain.com (depending on how you access your shop without SSL). I have a .htaccess file to make sure the page loads as www.finefoods24.com. My SSL cert is issued to www.finefoods24.com too. Like this I only had to change a few settings in the osC configure files and that's it. No new installation or need to copy certain files in a different folder on my webspace.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

- Look at my signature on how to do SSL.

- The no-right-click thing is kinda 1990's-ish. I can't even tell how large your pictures are. Are you afraid of someone stealing a picture of a t-shirt? I'd get rid of it.

- Without question, you're in definite need of the Header Tags Controller because your page titles are the same for every page. This module will allow you to have unique page titles and descriptions, which is very important for SEO (search engine optimization).

- To get rid of that pointless query, "535 requests since 2002" or whatever, open up your (catalog)/includes/footer.php. Find a line like this:

<tr class="footer">

<td class="footer">  <?php echo strftime(DATE_FORMAT_LONG); ?>  </td>

<td align="right" class="footer">  <?php echo $counter_now . ' ' . FOOTER_TEXT_REQUESTS_SINCE . ' ' . $counter_startdate_formatted; ?>  </td>

</tr>

change to

<tr class="footer">

<td class="footer">  <?php echo strftime(DATE_FORMAT_LONG); ?>  </td>

<td align="right" class="footer"></td>

</tr>

- Price search in your right column. I sure hope there aren't any t-shirts over $200. Why does it go so high?

- Get rid of another needless query that decreases page loading time -- on your product page -- "this product was added to our catalog" ... your customers don't care. They just care that they get their t-shirt. Go to your (catalog)/product_info.php and find:

<tr>

<td align="center" class="smallText"><?php echo sprintf(TEXT_DATE_ADDED, tep_date_long($product_info['products_date_added'])); ?></td>

</tr>

change to:

<tr>

<td align="center" class="smallText"></td>

</tr>

Good luck.

Jason

Simple 1-2-3 Intructions on how to get, install and configure SSL

The Google Sandbox explained

Simple to follow instructions on how to change the look of your OSC

How To Make A Horrible OSC Website

my toolbox: All things WordPress-related - All things Adobe-related - PHP Designer 2007 - Codecanyon Junkie - Crimson Editor - Winmerge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP

my installed contributions: Category Banners, File Upload feature-.77, Header Tags, Sort_Product_Attributes_1, XSellv2.3, Price Break 1.11.2, wishlist 3.5, rollover_category_images_v1.2, Short_Description_v2.1, UPSXML_v1_2_3, quickbooks qbi_v2_10, allprods v4.4, Mouseover-effect for image-buttons 1.0, Ultimate_SEO, AAP 1.41, Auto Select State Value, Fast Easy Checkout, Dynamic SiteMap v2.0, Image Magic, Links Manager 1.14, Featured Products, Customer Testimonials, Article Manager, FAQ System, and I'm sure more ...

I just bought an ssl cert and it seems as if I am starting all over as if I have a new account. It took me freakin 3 weeks to do all the contributions and code things correctly. I am pissed!!!!!!!!! Who ever else comes to criticise my site please give me a few days to get it back up. It seems as if I will have to redo everthing. I have my site but I never downloaded a backup copy pf my database. it was online.

much nicer now, i like how you have actually taken the steps to start to improve, like the new t-shirt images,

one more comment from me, i do not like the what's new here font color, i would change this (#00ccff).

good work so far,

nicangeli

SSL is good now.

Breadcrumbs. I have a problem with you breadcrumbs. For instance, on your login page: https://www.c57.us/login.php ... your breadcrumbs are: Top :: Catalog :: Login ...

But "top" points to https://www.c57.us/ and "catalog" points to https://www.c57.us/index.php ... these are the same page, but you will be penalized in search engines for having duplicate content.

The fix: Go to includes/application_top.php

Get rid of one of the two -- top and catalog are the same thing. Find:

$breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_TOP, HTTP_SERVER);

$breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_CATALOG, tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT));

Change to:

// $breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_TOP, HTTP_SERVER);

$breadcrumb->add(HEADER_TITLE_CATALOG, tep_href_link("/"));

*note: I changed FILENAME_DEFAULT to "/" with quotations ... this will make the link go to http://www.c57.us/ instead of http://www.c57.us/index.php. It's advisable to change all instances of FILENAME_DEFAULT TO "/" for the files in your initial root folder.

*additional note: If you want "catalog" to say "home" or something, this can be done by finding it in includes/languages/english.php and changing the name there.

For better and more accurate breadcrumbs, stay in application_top.php. Find this line. After:

$breadcrumb->add($manufacturers['manufacturers_name'], tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, 'manufacturers_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['manufacturers_id']));

}

}

And before:

// initialize the message stack for output messages

Replace everything you have in between with this:

// add the products model to the breadcrumb trail

// MODIFICATION! TOPIC 24033 of forums.oscommerce

// BELOW: THE ORIGINAL BREADCUMB

// if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'])) {

// $model_query = tep_db_query("select products_model from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "'");

// if (tep_db_num_rows($model_query)) {

// $model = tep_db_fetch_array($model_query);

// $breadcrumb->add($model['products_model'], tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'cPath=' . $cPath . '&products_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id']));

// }

// }

// NOW; THE MODIFIED BREADCRUMB:

if (isset($HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'])) {

$model_query = tep_db_query("select products_model from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " where products_id = '" . (int)$HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "'");

$product_bc_query = tep_db_query("select p.products_id, pd.products_name from " . TABLE_PRODUCTS . " p, " . TABLE_PRODUCTS_DESCRIPTION . " pd where p.products_id = '" . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and pd.products_id = '" . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id'] . "' and pd.language_id = '" . $languages_id . "'"); $product_bc = tep_db_fetch_array($product_bc_query);

if (tep_db_num_rows($model_query)) {

$model = tep_db_fetch_array($model_query);

$breadcrumb->add($product_bc['products_name']."", tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCT_INFO, 'cPath=' . $cPath . '&products_id=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['products_id']));

}

}

Congratulations! You now have SEO-optimized and customer-optimized breadcrumbs with no duplicate content.

Oh, don't forget about the Header Tags Controller and be careful not to break your Ultimate SEO URL's when configuring the admin/categories.php file.

Good luck. I'll be looking for your new breadcrumbs later.

Jason

Simple 1-2-3 Intructions on how to get, install and configure SSL

The Google Sandbox explained

Simple to follow instructions on how to change the look of your OSC

How To Make A Horrible OSC Website

my toolbox: All things WordPress-related - All things Adobe-related - PHP Designer 2007 - Codecanyon Junkie - Crimson Editor - Winmerge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP

my installed contributions: Category Banners, File Upload feature-.77, Header Tags, Sort_Product_Attributes_1, XSellv2.3, Price Break 1.11.2, wishlist 3.5, rollover_category_images_v1.2, Short_Description_v2.1, UPSXML_v1_2_3, quickbooks qbi_v2_10, allprods v4.4, Mouseover-effect for image-buttons 1.0, Ultimate_SEO, AAP 1.41, Auto Select State Value, Fast Easy Checkout, Dynamic SiteMap v2.0, Image Magic, Links Manager 1.14, Featured Products, Customer Testimonials, Article Manager, FAQ System, and I'm sure more ...

I have header tags installed. At first everything was functionaing ok. But yesterday when I went to update the tags for my new content I added. I noticed all the pages had the same title and keywords on them. My Page controller in admin seems not to be updating the pages. I don't know why and have been searching for hours to find the problem.

Advice is greatly appreciated.

I have quite a few designs to put up, and I want them to be protected. I have the contribute disable.php installed and it works great, but I took it out because pof a comment. I would actually would like the popup javascipt not to appear. I like all the features except the disabled javascript pop up. I work hard on designing things and have had things stolen before. I don't want anyone to have any copy of any of my works anywhere. Any suggestions?

I think I forgot to put the address the first time.

http://www.c57.us

I need some feedback on this site. Constructive criticism. I have installed every contribute I could think that will make it much easier on both myself and my customers. Also things suggested by pros in the forums. Let me know about the flow, colors, text, images and etc. Any suggestions on faster load times would help also. I like the music and color of the banner but if I have to move it I will.

I have quite a few designs to put up, and I want them to be protected. I have the contribute disable.php installed and it works great, but I took it out because pof a comment. I would actually would like the popup javascipt not to appear. I like all the features except the disabled javascript pop up. I work hard on designing things and have had things stolen before. I don't want anyone to have any copy of any of my works anywhere. Any suggestions?

you could watermark your work?... not sure what software you are using so cant point you in the direction of a good tutorial,

nicangeli

you could watermark your work?... not sure what software you are using so cant point you in the direction of a good tutorial,

nicangeli

You might want to check out this contribution.

On the fly thumbnails & watermarks 1.0

1. Watermarking product images so nobody (else) can use them.

2. Creating small thumbnails to increase page load times.

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1839/

Thank-you. By the way I am willing to pay someone to get my usps realtime shipping rates to stop the default values and generate the real time values. Google I think would be peoples #1 choice beacause of the short checkout process. I need this to be fixed asap. I have not found any thing on the forums to lead me into fixing this or I may have missed it. I don't have time to stall anymore. I need to place new products but it is essential that those real time rates work with google checkout and not just paypal.

Archived