• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Installing your own web server with PHP and MySQL

FWR Media

I have seen a number of posts here regarding installing a local pc web server. Most talk about using pre configured packages which are restrictive and often out of date.

How much better to just download apache, PHP, MySQL and run it on your pc.

The author of this guide is is an immensely capable programmer and I have used the guide myself on numerous occasions.

[unknown]'s Guide to Installing PHP and MySQL

Hope it helps others as much as its helped me.

• 7 months later...
I have seen a number of posts here regarding installing a local pc web server. Most talk about using pre configured packages which are restrictive and often out of date.

How much better to just download apache, PHP, MySQL and run it on your pc.

The author of this guide is is an immensely capable programmer and I have used the guide myself on numerous occasions.

[unknown]'s Guide to Installing PHP and MySQL

Hope it helps others as much as its helped me.

Instructions for Apache, Perl/CGI, PHP, and MySQL on Windows

Above link is another step by step guide that I found to be very useful

These are how-to tutorials to give step by step instructions for installing, setting up, and configuring Apache2 web server, ActivePerl, PHP, and MySQL in Windows. A section is also included that tells you how to make your server accessible to the world, some info on firewalls, and a section on other types of servers (ftp, mail).

Jim Bullen - President

The Cigar Hut Group of Companies

Installed add-ons: (that now need to be upgraded to OSC CE Phoenix)

PWA, MVS, Easy Populate, Dynamic Sitemap, Featured Products, MVS Order Editor, MVS Shipping Estimator, Google XML Sitemap, About Us, Ad Tracker, Address Enhancer, Also Purchased, Backorders, Category Descriptions, Dynamic Meta Tags, Contact Us Email Subjects, Country state Selector, Extra Address Line, Order Number in Email Subject, OSC Affiliate, Product Extra Fields, Review Approval System, Reviews in Product Display, Sold Out, Sold Out (but Displayed), Ultimate SEO URL's, Updated Spiders, Welcome Email Password, Pending Order Email, Who's Online Enhancement, CCGV, Easy Discounts, Customer Comments, Request a Review, Sales Report, plus many many more!

Instructions for Apache, Perl/CGI, PHP, and MySQL on Windows

Above link is another step by step guide that I found to be very useful

These are how-to tutorials to give step by step instructions for installing, setting up, and configuring Apache2 web server, ActivePerl, PHP, and MySQL in Windows. A section is also included that tells you how to make your server accessible to the world, some info on firewalls, and a section on other types of servers (ftp, mail).

Google Xampp.. I am a complete novice at this... and found that program on another site and now am running my test OS commerce page on my PC. It contains everything needed.. I would def check them out. GL

-Dinny

Packages are fine if you really can't do the real thing.

But it is far better (imo) to have the flexibility to update to the latest packages and the ability, for example to run MySQL4 AND MySQL5 with PHP4 AND PHP5 (not at the same time if you get my drift).

There are many other benefits of not being restricted to a package but I'll leave it there.

My tutorial is here ..

Instructions to install a local apache server with PHP and MySQL on your windows PC - including Vista - XP

Hope it helps someone

• 4 weeks later...

As usual, you guys rock!

This all went smooth using the first set of instructions from unknownbrackets.com except:

Also added from http://www.ricocheting.com/server/apache.html

• When you install Apache, you'll get a prompt for "Server Information." Here is the settings I used:

Network Domain: localhost

Server Name: localhost

Admin Email: (your any email)

I have hit on a problem though, in the final step of configuring MySQL I'm getting the error;

Error 2003 can’t connect to MySQL server on localhost (10061)

If a personal firewall is running on your machine, please make sure you have opened the TCP port 3306 for connections

I haven't spent all that much time searching for it, [running windows 2000 XP (service pack2), Norton, & Spy Sweeper. All firewalls off] don't know how to find or adjust port 3306.

Any help or suggestions?

As usual, you guys rock!

This all went smooth using the first set of instructions from unknownbrackets.com except:

Also added from http://www.ricocheting.com/server/apache.html

• When you install Apache, you'll get a prompt for "Server Information." Here is the settings I used:

Network Domain: localhost

Server Name: localhost

Admin Email: (your any email)

I have hit on a problem though, in the final step of configuring MySQL I'm getting the error;

Error 2003 can’t connect to MySQL server on localhost (10061)

If a personal firewall is running on your machine, please make sure you have opened the TCP port 3306 for connections

I haven't spent all that much time searching for it, [running windows 2000 XP (service pack2), Norton, & Spy Sweeper. All firewalls off] don't know how to find or adjust port 3306.

Any help or suggestions?

Outof curiousity: What type of internet connection are you using for your home / OSC severs, and have you had any problems with bandwidth - or lack thereof?

Husky

• 4 weeks later...

Babygurgles,

Do you have installation instructions for Windows Vista where Apache is not used by either IIS or PWS ?

I have the Vista Home Premium edition and have not been able to figure out if it still comes with IIS.

I dont want to install Apache as I am not an expert.

Packages are fine if you really can't do the real thing.

But it is far better (imo) to have the flexibility to update to the latest packages and the ability, for example to run MySQL4 AND MySQL5 with PHP4 AND PHP5 (not at the same time if you get my drift).

There are many other benefits of not being restricted to a package but I'll leave it there.

My tutorial is here ..

Instructions to install a local apache server with PHP and MySQL on your windows PC - including Vista - XP

Hope it helps someone

• 4 weeks later...

thanks, I followed all the instructions from unknownbrackets.com and have downloaded my site to the right directory. But, when I go to 'http://localhost/mysite' it tells me

Unable to connect to database server!

I havent installed phpMyAdmin or imported my shop database because I dont know how. What do I need to do to set up osCommerce on my local server?

Thanks,

Ben

Ok, So I have extracted phpmyadmin to the correct directory and tried to login but it tells me everytime:

Error

MySQL said:

#2003 - The server is not responding

Could someone help? I really would like to get this set up

• 1 year later...

A super easy way to setup a development environment is with xampp

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

It will setup everything you need to setup a dev environment (linux or windows mac os x or Solaris) with one short command. I use it to setup test environments at home so I can test everything 1st before moving it to the production site.

Its always worked great for me and free to boot!

• 5 weeks later...

The best way I found to do this was using VMWare (Fusion on Mac) to run http://www.turnkeylinux.org/appliances/lamp - which is closer to what my host uses than the XAMPP instances.

I then use zoneedit.com to map a development site to the VM using another domain name. The development environment is available when required and can be shutdown when not. It can also have snapshots taken and be replicated very easily for other sites that I work on.

And while VMWare can sometimes be a bit resource heavy, apache, php, mysql is pretty lightweight - don't even notice it running.

• 2 years later...

Erwin,

Once you are done working locally, you can FTP the files to your hosting account (Godaddy) maintaining the directory structure. Then, set the two configure.php files to match your server path and database credentials.

Chris

Archived