• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Site Launched!

psychedelik

Wow! Great job! I was wondering, how did you make the Storage and Netgear product boxes on the front page? Is there a contribution for those?

:wink: thanks~

sorry if i have to disppoint you, but everything except for the Featured Products box were hand coded...looks like i did a fairly decent make-believe job :P

I like your newsletter page. Is that a newer feature in the snapshots? I'm using one dated 6/18/2002 and it is not in there. I tried modifying something like that in my snapshot, and it worked fine, but when someone tried creating an account after signing up for the newsletter, it said an account with that e-mail already existed. Are you just e-mailing that e-mail address to yourself, and not posting it in the database??

Fits in my browser just fine. Running 1024 x 768, in Netscape 6. Looks really good. Nice job.

If every member of this board donated $1 to the dev team, that would be over $11,000.00. Don't you think this cart is worth at least a $1????

Fits in my browser just fine. Running 1024 x 768, in Netscape 6. Looks really good. Nice job.

I run at 1280x1024 on a 19", but I don't keep make my browser windows huge. If people come along at 800x600, which they will, it won't fit nice.

Oh I'm sure they will come along at that resolution. I'm sure some people running 640x480 with 256 colors will see it also, but you can't please everyone. I think it's great as it is. Just an opinion.

If every member of this board donated $1 to the dev team, that would be over $11,000.00. Don't you think this cart is worth at least a $1????

Thanks for the feedback.

I am going to centre my site soon anyway, so the dimensions will not be so easy effected then.

But that wont be until I have finished my site entirely.

But thanks again for letting me know.

the News section is a hack I put in myself, with some help from a friend.

it is based of a blogger script available at cafelog.com you can put this in yourself, and it does run from a databse, so it is also quick.

oooh I just realised, you were talking about the Newsletter page, not the News page.

Well the Newletter is just based on something I made myself, just a normal form in a table, then the form is submitted to a program called Mymail.

You can get this from MyMail.com if I remember right.

I dont like the OSC newsletter prgram, it does not do enough for my liking. (No offence)

So I got Mymail as people can choose to sign up to plain text or HTML newsletters, and the newlsletter writing is all done within mymail program.

Very good, worth looking at if you want to offer HTML mails.

Oh and it runs via mySQL aswell, so again it is quick.

Anyhow, thats that. ;)

CC.

Oh I'm sure they will come along at that resolution. I'm sure some people running 640x480 with 256 colors will see it also, but you can't please everyone. I think it's great as it is. Just an opinion.

Would you be suprised if I told you that you will alienate more than one out of four web surfers out there if you think like ocularmagic? I would probably leave.. I hate horizontal scrolling. Do yourself a MAJOR favor and make sure that your site does not scroll horizontally @ 800x600. 640x480 is getting ancient and has about 5% user base.

I make sure that my pages will fit in a 740 pixel table at anytime during browsing. This will make up for the users scroll bar & different browser's settings on Mac/PC/Linux platforms. You can still use a 100% table.. just make sure that no graphics in any col's ever stretch the pixel-width past 740! I believe your nav bar alone is over 740 pixels wide. But, hey don't listen to me.. I've just been designing sites since 1995! :D

I agree.

You do risk alienating visitors, but ocularmagic is still partially right.

And if you have been designing for 5 years you will know that you can not please all visitors all of the time.

However to reiterate my point, I will be resizing my site so it fits into a 800 width max. The page will be centered so this should not cause too many issues.

I am confident in saying, anyone who is running 640 will not buy ANYTHING from my site anyway. I only see newbie users being people who run in 640 and I only supply overclocking hardware, or performance hardware so it is very unlikely my customers will be new to the PC world.

CC.

I totally agree that 800x600 is fading fast.. There is no doubt about it..

If you site owners are curious as to what your visitors are viewing your site at, tell the web server log that information in your daily logs and then use an analyzer to find out for yourself.

And yes alot of it does have to do with your target market. I mean if your site is geared towards high-resolution image editing, CAD, etc. you can pretty much guarantee that the majority of the people that are "customers" will not have a 14" monitor with 640x480 @ 256 colors. But what about those visiting for the first time?? :)

Archived