• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

usps configuration

sheridany

I am trying to configure the standard usps in the store. I registered for an id and got that back from usps. Configured the module and tested it and it gives this message:

An error occured with the USPS shipping calculations.

If you prefer to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact the store owner.

Not sure where to go from here. Is there another module to install? I also know the weight of the items to ship so is there a configuration option to input the weight so that usps can calculate the shipping charge?

I searched the forum and did not find anything specific to this issue.

Many thanks in advance for some advice here. :D

I am trying to configure the standard usps in the store. I registered for an id and got that back from usps. Configured the module and tested it and it gives this message:

If you prefer to use USPS as your shipping method, please contact the store owner.

Not sure where to go from here. Is there another module to install? I also know the weight of the items to ship so is there a configuration option to input the weight so that usps can calculate the shipping charge?

First go to http://www.usps.com/webtools/ and set up an account. This is the USER ID for the USPS shipping module

Next, send an email to [email protected] with the following:

Hellp,

Pleas move account number: YOURACCOUNTNUMBER to the production system. I am using OS Commerce with the USPS shipping module.

Regards,

Your name

It will take anywhere from 6-24 hours but once you get the reply choose production in your settings. There is no password required.

Joe

It worked exactly as you said and no problems during testing. The only thing I am not sure of is some of the products are more subscription based and there is no shipping cost. The customer gets a reciept only. Is there a way to assign shipping to certain items in the store?

• 2 weeks later...

hello,

I have the same problem, have you found a way to get it work.

hello,

I have the same problem, have you found a way to get it work.

You need to get your id from usps and then send them an email telling them you are using oscommerce which has already tested the usps api and you want to be pointed to the production server. Once you get the email back saying your id has been switched to the production server, the usps module works fine. Make sure you configure the other parameters in the edit of the module by specifying the handling fees etc. It works really well.

It worked exactly as you said and no problems during testing. The only thing I am not sure of is some of the products are more subscription based and there is no shipping cost. The customer gets a reciept only. Is there a way to assign shipping to certain items in the store?

I did this by setting those items to have a weight of zero, and having free shipping set.

I made a simple change to catalog/checkout_shipping.php:

$free_shipping = false;

if ( ($pass == true) && ($order->info['total'] >= MODULE_ORDER_TOTAL_SHIPPING_FREE_SHIPPING_OVER) ) {

$free_shipping = true;

include(DIR_WS_LANGUAGES . $language . '/modules/order_total/ot_shipping.php');

}

} else {

$free_shipping = false;

}

// inserted new code here

if ( $total_weight == 0 )

{

$free_shipping = true;

}

// end of code

There may be other ways to do this to. Ensure you back up your database and files and test before using

Andrew

I did this by setting those items to have a weight of zero, and having free shipping set.

$free_shipping = false;

if ( ($pass == true) && ($order->info['total'] >= MODULE_ORDER_TOTAL_SHIPPING_FREE_SHIPPING_OVER) ) {

$free_shipping = true;

}

} else {

$free_shipping = false;

}

{

$free_shipping = true;

}

// end of code

There may be other ways to do this to. Ensure you back up your database and files and test before using

Andrew

$free_shipping = false;

$free_shipping = true;

}

} else {

$free_shipping = false;

}

{

$free_shipping = true;

}

// end of code

Andrew

May I ask exactly where in the file you placed the code?

You need to get your id from usps and then send them an email telling them you are using oscommerce which has already tested the usps api and you want to be pointed to the production server. Once you get the email back saying your id has been switched to the production server, the usps module works fine. Make sure you configure the other parameters in the edit of the module by specifying the handling fees etc. It works really well.

Sorry to have to differ with you, but it doesn't work at all--at least for some of us.

All of my products have a weight assigned (no subscriptions or free items or anything unusual).

I've assigned the tare weight for my packaging.

I have made the initial contact to USPS and received my user id.

I have double-checked my ZIP code in Admin and have even tried ZIP+5--neither works.

I have entered my userid exactly as provided.

I have switched from "test" to "production" by ticking the radio button.

I have not set a zone, nor have I added a handling charge or tax.

I have rounded off my weights to the nearest pound, expressing them as 1.0, 2.0, etc.

I have contacted USPS and been informed by them that I have been switched to the production server.

I have compared the URL given me with the URL used in the shipping module. Both appear to be the same.

Some of us are just frustrated. It's very unfortunate, and I guess it's not a glamourous topic, as there's not much here in the way of substantive input for people having trouble.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been having this problem and cannot find a fix for it. Help Anybody?

Thanks

Sorry to have to differ with you, but it doesn't work at all--at least for some of us.

All of my products have a weight assigned (no subscriptions or free items or anything unusual).

I've assigned the tare weight for my packaging.

I have made the initial contact to USPS and received my user id.

I have double-checked my ZIP code in Admin and have even tried ZIP+5--neither works.

I have entered my userid exactly as provided.

I have switched from "test" to "production" by ticking the radio button.

I have not set a zone, nor have I added a handling charge or tax.

I have rounded off my weights to the nearest pound, expressing them as 1.0, 2.0, etc.

I have contacted USPS and been informed by them that I have been switched to the production server.

I have compared the URL given me with the URL used in the shipping module. Both appear to be the same.

Some of us are just frustrated. It's very unfortunate, and I guess it's not a glamourous topic, as there's not much here in the way of substantive input for people having trouble.

I have been having this problem and cannot find a fix for it. Help Anybody?

Thanks

Ive also had this same problem? Please someone help. Kinda hard to sell stuff ina store with no shipping.

Besides just registering with USPS is there anything else we are suppose to do on their site?

Hellp,

Pleas move account number: YOURACCOUNTNUMBER to the production system. I am using OS Commerce with the USPS shipping module.

Regards,

Your name

Thanks Joe, i have the some problem as sheridany, have send email, hope can get a quick reply from USPS!

I have the same problem......I even called the help desk at USPS.....they told me everything is right on the end of the post office it is a problem on the end where my shopping cart is.......Very frustrating the it works for some and not for others :(

Eve

Out of curiousity, did you configure the postal code in admin under configuration, Shipping/Packaging?

This is where you put in the Country of Origin, Package Tare, and Postal Code.

I was having the same problem but once I put in my Zip code, I was set.

Shelly

Out of curiousity, did you configure the postal code in admin under configuration, Shipping/Packaging?

This is where you put in the Country of Origin, Package Tare, and Postal Code.

I was having the same problem but once I put in my Zip code, I was set.

Shelly

Hi, Shelly,

When configuring the USPS module in the admin section, what did you put in for password? I don't see that I was issued a password, just the userid. I tried both the userid and then put in the url for the test server, since I didn't know what else to put in. I'm getting the error that USPS can't calculate or something to that effect.

Thank you,

Casey

Hi, Shelly,

When configuring the USPS module in the admin section, what did you put in for password? I don't see that I was issued a password, just the userid. I tried both the userid and then put in the url for the test server, since I didn't know what else to put in. I'm getting the error that USPS can't calculate or something to that effect.

Thank you,

Casey

Hi, All,

Please disregard this. Thru further searching I found that there is no password requirement and that we don't need to do the test. We just call the contact number provided and request that we go active. When they did this, everything works fine...

Hi, what account number do I give UPS??

from UPS I received a user id, a developer's key, a XML access key, and a HTML access key.

thanks,

steve

First go to http://www.usps.com/webtools/ and set up an account. This is the USER ID for the USPS shipping module

Next, send an email to [email protected] with the following:

Hellp,

Regards,

Your name

It will take anywhere from 6-24 hours but once you get the reply choose production in your settings. There is no password required.

Joe

• 3 weeks later...
I have the same problem......I even called the help desk at USPS.....they told me everything is right on the end of the post office it is a problem on the end where my shopping cart is.......Very frustrating the it works for some and not for others :(

Eve

I too struggled with this until I changed my Configuration Shipping ZipCode from a 9 digit to 5 digit number. Whew!

• 2 weeks later...

Are you guys and gals who are having problems with the USPS module having problems in both test mode and production?

I've put in a 5 digit zip code in the shipping/packaging configuration section of the admin panel as suggested, I've setup my USPS account, I've contacted the USPS as suggested above and asked that they move me to the production server etc yet I still get the fallowing error in both test and production modes:

United States Postal Service United States Postal Service

An error occurred with the USPS shipping calculations.

Any thoughts? A lot of my customers do not want to us UPS for small items due to the high shipping cost. It's causing me to loose business. My web store is kind of worthless without more shipping options. Any help would be great.

Are you guys and gals who are having problems with the USPS module having problems in both test mode and production?

I've put in a 5 digit zip code in the shipping/packaging configuration section of the admin panel as suggested, I've setup my USPS account, I've contacted the USPS as suggested above and asked that they move me to the production server etc yet I still get the fallowing error in both test and production modes:

United States Postal Service United States Postal Service

An error occurred with the USPS shipping calculations.

Any thoughts? A lot of my customers do not want to us UPS for small items due to the high shipping cost. It's causing me to loose business. My web store is kind of worthless without more shipping options. Any help would be great.

Today I noticed this error when shipping rates are shown during checkout. USPS rates had previously been working and we are using the production server with the appropriate postal code defined.

The error we were receiving related to the application version (you can view rates or errors by querying http://production.shippingapis.com/shippingapi.dll with your request query). Check to see if you have a VERSION attribute defined for the RateRequest element in usps.php. I found that setting it to a value of 3.0 or higher or removing it fixed the error and rates are now being displayed.

Remember to back up usps.php before modifying it.

• 1 month later...

i just wanted to double check with everyone....

i have the clients user ID in which is his email addy....i have his password in, and we contacted usps yesturday to be put on the production server......does everyone else have the same kind of settings?

so what i did was....install the mod...put in our settings, put it to production...(NO TESTING WAS DONE)

contacted USPS and got this email back....but still....i cant get any rates

>

> Dear USPS Customer,

>

> Thank you for contacting us. Congratulations on

> completing your testing using the U.S. Postal

> Service's Internet Shipping Application Program

> Interfaces (APIs).

> Your profile has been updated to allow you access to

> the Production Server.

>

> 1. The Production Server URL is:

> http://production.shippingapis.com. For APIs calling

> the secure server, the URL is

> https://secure.shippingapis.com.

> 2. There is a line of code that refers to

> "shippingapitest.dll". You'll need to remove the

> word "test".

>

> If you are using third party software and need

> assistance, please contact the vendor of the

> software. They should be able to assist you in

> obtaining live information using our APIs.

>

> Thank you for using the USPS Shipping APIs.

Edited by tec

i just wanted to double check with everyone....

i have the clients user ID in which is his email addy....i have his password in, and we contacted usps yesturday to be put on the production server......does everyone else have the same kind of settings?

so what i did was....install the mod...put in our settings, put it to production...(NO TESTING WAS DONE)

contacted USPS and got this email back....but still....i cant get any rates

>

> Dear USPS Customer,

>

> Thank you for contacting us. Congratulations on

> completing your testing using the U.S. Postal

> Service's Internet Shipping Application Program

> Interfaces (APIs).

> Your profile has been updated to allow you access to

> the Production Server.

>

> 1. The Production Server URL is:

> http://production.shippingapis.com. For APIs calling

> the secure server, the URL is

> https://secure.shippingapis.com.

> 2. There is a line of code that refers to

> "shippingapitest.dll". You'll need to remove the

> word "test".

>

> If you are using third party software and need

> assistance, please contact the vendor of the

> software. They should be able to assist you in

> obtaining live information using our APIs.

>

> Thank you for using the USPS Shipping APIs.

I have the same problem, and worse nothing updates in the USPS MOdule. I put the ID number everything and nothing seem to register.

Got the same email as well.

this is driving me wonkers......i have tried everything. I think i read ever thread posted at osc forums that contain the letters USPS and still....notta.

It seems to be a hit and miss with people, some folks it works for and others, well...others are still cursing in hopes to scare the mod to work..that hasnt worked for me though, and god knows i have cursed plenty at this mod.

What if we offer up some cookies? ;) if i offer cookies, could someone help out sisceliaca and myself to try to figure out what is going on? :blink: