• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

gif to jpg

4thdesign

I want to change ALL my gif files to jpg files.

Rather than going to each .php file and changing it there, is there an easier, quicker and en masse way of doing this?

I suspect there isnt.....but thought i better ask before taking the next 3 hours out of my day to change all the images to jpg images.

thanks in advance to anyone with a possible solution. :)

Rather than going to each .php file and changing it there, is there an easier, quicker and en masse way of doing this?

I suspect there isnt.....but thought i better ask before taking the next 3 hours out of my day to change all the images to jpg images.

ImageMagick is a very powerful set of programs that will allow you to do this very easily, especially with their convert utility. It is command line based, so you could write a very quick script to convert these all for you. You can also have it strip out any meta-data that may be embedded in the image and resize it all at once using the thumbnail option.

example:

convert -thumbnail 400x400 productpic.gif productpic.jpg

Their website: http://www.imagemagick.org/

Be careful when you simply change the file name. If you need to preserve transparency, a jpg will not do it for you, unless you save the file with a matte that matches your background.

ImageMagick will convert a file to a gif or jpg (among others) from a bitmap or png, so I am reading. You will still need to change the image calls in your php pages from whatever.gif to whatever.jpg.

jon

It's all just ones and zeros....

Be careful when you simply change the file name. If you need to preserve transparency, a jpg will not do it for you, unless you save the file with a matte that matches your background.

ImageMagick will convert a file to a gif or jpg (among others) from a bitmap or png, so I am reading. You will still need to change the image calls in your php pages from whatever.gif to whatever.jpg.

jon

Good advice, but to make it easier, make sure you use a replace command. Then replace .gif to .jpg I also recommend making a backup of all your files before you do this in case you forgot to replace one of your images.

dragonsbait