• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

how to learn admin login password

windowpane

How can I learn the username and password for the admin panel?

I tried the databaseadmin user but i couldn't login.Thank you.

Welcome. As far as i know, your username and your admin password are both assigned to you by your site's host. As you may well know, you'll need your domain' name. You may want to contact your host company. They, usually mail to you all the information you would need . Also, may try this site. Kerry Watson has a lot easy-to follow ideas on how to start using Os. :thumbsup:

<<External Link Removed>>

osCommerce uses .htaccess and .htpasswd format files to manage the protection on the admin section of your shop.

If you need to change the password or username associated with the admin section, you need to upload a new .htpasswd file. This will be at the top level of your site (above the www) and called .htpasswdosc, or it will be in the www/catalog/admin folder and called .htpasswd. You can determine which is the case by downloading via FTP and examining the contents of the file .htaccess in the www/catalog/admin folder.

Andrew Yuen

osCommerce, Community Team

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I'm new here and new to Oscommerce. I have just successfully installed osCommerce 2.2-MS2... but when I finished installing it.. I noticed that the /admin goes straight to my admin control panel.. there is no login panel.. and just to make sure I asked a friend to check it out for me... and he could access my control panel without logging in. I know that is not secure... So can anyone tell me how to fix that? So instead of showing my admin control panel.. I get a login panel first.

P.S I had read oscommerce set ups and I read that during installation i should ask you admin username and password.. Well mine didn't.

Someone please help

Hello,

I'm new here and new to Oscommerce. I have just successfully installed osCommerce 2.2-MS2... but when I finished installing it.. I noticed that the /admin goes straight to my admin control panel.. there is no login panel.. and just to make sure I asked a friend to check it out for me... and he could access my control panel without logging in. I know that is not secure... So can anyone tell me how to fix that? So instead of showing my admin control panel.. I get a login panel first.

P.S I had read oscommerce set ups and I read that during installation i should ask you admin username and password.. Well mine didn't.

Someone please help

protect the admin directory via your control panel

Regards

Mark A Reynolds

HI.

I´m also a new user to osC and did the instalation, but how can I add the uder id and password protection to my admin tool?

BR,J

This all depends on what control panel your host provides. There will be a way to 'protect directories' with the host's control panel and you should ask you host if you cannot find it. There is another method of password protecting your oscommerce admin panel. That is Secure Admin Login - Logout. I am using this locally and it works well.

Rich

• 2 weeks later...
HI.

I´m also a new user to osC and did the instalation, but how can I add the uder id and password protection to my admin tool?

BR,J

Generally, if you (or your hosting provider) are using an Apache Server, there are a couple of ways to handle this, depending upon how much control you have over the webserver configuration file, whether you have a control panel that will handle that for you, etc.

The easiest way is to use a "secure directory" or "password directory" tool through your web host's control panel. If you don't have that luxury, the way I have seen most frequently used is to find your httpd.conf file (mine is in /usr/local/apache2/conf/httpd.conf), then search within it to find the AllowOverride directive. The first one you find should look something like this:

<Directory />

Options FollowSymLinks

AllowOverride None

</Directory>

Leave this one alone, as it first restricts heavily what is allowed and not allowed to appear in .htaccess files located within the webroot or one of its subdirectories.

Search for the next instance of AllowOverride, which should look something like this (taken from a generic Apache 2 httpd.conf file):

<Directory "/usr/local/apache2/htdocs">

#

# Possible values for the Options directive are "None", "All",

# or any combination of:

# Indexes Includes FollowSymLinks SymLinksifOwnerMatch ExecCGI MultiViews

#

# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"

# doesn't give it to you.

#

# The Options directive is both complicated and important. Please see

# http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/core.html#options

# for more information.

#

Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

#

# AllowOverride controls what directives may be placed in .htaccess files.

# It can be "All", "None", or any combination of the keywords:

# Options FileInfo AuthConfig Limit

#

AllowOverride None

#

# Controls who can get stuff from this server.

#

Order allow,deny

Allow from all

</Directory>

As it shows, AllowOverride is set to None, meaning that .htaccess files placed in /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/ directory down can have .htaccess files can't override any of the directives in the httpd.conf file. Change the "AllowOverride None" line to "AllowOverride AuthConfig".

At this point, you can restart your web server, and from then on, you may place .htaccess files in directories below /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/ that can be used to configure authorization options within that directory, and any of it's subdirectories.

Now, in your /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/catalog/admin/ directory, there is an .htaccess file that you need to add some lines to. In particular, you need to add

AuthName "Restricted Area"

AuthType Basic

AuthUserFile /usr/local/apache2/conf/.htpasswd

<Limit GET POST>

require valid-user

</Limit>

to the bottom of the file (in the simplest case). This tells the web server to search for a valid-user:password combo in the file /usr/local/apache2/conf/.htpasswd (make sure to put this file somewhere outside of your webroot).

finally, you need to create the .htpasswd file. generally, there is a binary called htpasswd in apache's /bin/ directory which helps you create the username:encrypted password combo.

Once that is done, your admin directory should now be protected by the web server (a popup window requesting username and password should appear when you try to access that directory). make sure you close all browser windows before trying this as most browsers tend to remember that you've already been in that directory (if you have) and won't ask again until all browser instances have been shut down and restarted.

Good luck.

Brian Ladner

• 2 months later...
osCommerce uses .htaccess and .htpasswd format files to manage the protection on the admin section of your shop.

If you need to change the password or username associated with the admin section, you need to upload a new .htpasswd file. This will be at the top level of your site (above the www) and called .htpasswdosc, or it will be in the www/catalog/admin folder and called .htpasswd. You can determine which is the case by downloading via FTP and examining the contents of the file .htaccess in the www/catalog/admin folder.

I can't login how do i find password and login.

Buy Notebooks Cheap

Archived