• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Payment notification & Missing orders.

CBrewer

I am receiving payment notification from paypal when an order is placed on my site, but the order does not appear in the orders module and I do not receive a notification e-mail.

This was working fine up to about a week ago, any help greatly appreciated.

regards

Colin

I am receiving payment notification from paypal when an order is placed on my site, but the order does not appear in the orders module and I do not receive a notification e-mail.

regards

Colin

Hello Colin

This is a big issue with osCommerce and PayPal as you will soon see.

The problem arises when a customer completes the PayPal payment but does not return to the merchant site. Only on return to the merchant site does the order get processed by osCommerce and the notification e-mail sent.

It helps if you have AutoReturn set to on in PayPal. See:

My Account/Profile/Selling Preferences/Website Payment Preferences

However this guarantees successful return only if the customer already has a PayPal account. Otherwise after completing payment with a credit card they are invited to open a PayPal account and this gets in the way of automatic return. They have to click on a pretty insignificant-looking link at the bottom of the page to return.

What to do? I suggest you use PayPal IPN module in osCommerce instead of the standard PayPal payment module. This is available as a contribution (see link below). You will then have a record of all orders before the customer goes to PayPal, marked initially with status Preparing (PayPal IPN). If he/she doesn't return successfully but you get payment notification from PayPal you can then manually change the status of the order on osCommerce and continue with delivery. This is more of a workaround than a solution.

Useful links:

http://www.unitedforums.co.uk/vb/archive/i...php/t-6349.html

Pay particular attention to posts from Vger here

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/lofiversion/i...179917-900.html

See especially the post from Terra dated 26 May 2006

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2679

Here is the PayPal IPN contribution. I used v1.4 successfully. Also later contribution from gravyface about populating CC info in PayPal from data already collected in osCommerce.

This is only the tip of the iceberg. And I should say that I have been wrestling with osCommerce and PayPal for only a few weeks so I am sure I have a lot more to learn.

Regards

Tony

regards

Colin

If you don't want to go through the IPN stuff, you can just change your paypal settings. In the website payments preferences in paypal, turn on automatic redirect to:

youroscommercewebsite.com/checkout_success.php

For the notification emails, change the "send extra orders email" value under Conguration -> mystore to the email address you want notifications to be sent to.

If you don't want to go through the IPN stuff, you can just change your paypal settings. In the website payments preferences in paypal, turn on automatic redirect to:

youroscommercewebsite.com/checkout_success.php

For the notification emails, change the "send extra orders email" value under Conguration -> mystore to the email address you want notifications to be sent to.

I'm experiencing the above mentioned problem and I already have the settings that you describe in your post... any other suggestions? Or is IPN the only option???

Thanks.

Hi

I'm dealing with this same issue. Here is a response that I got from PayPal which may be of interest to some:-

The auto return feature will automatically return customers back to your website if they are paying with a PayPal account. If a customer is paying with a credit card, they will need to click on "return to merchant" after the transaction to be returned to your website.

The option to pay with a credit card is determined by the PayPal account optional feature in your PayPal profile settings. (PayPal account - Profile - website payments preferences - PayPal account optional)

*If the PayPal account optional is ON your customers are not required to have a PayPal account to make a purchase

*If the PayPal account optional is OFF your customers are required to have a PayPal account to make a purchase

On the other hand you can change the "return to merchant" text to your own with the use of "cbt" variable. However since you said you are using oscommerce, you will need to adjust the code to include the variable in the form post.

Below is an example of how to use the "cbt" variable:

<input type="hidden" name="cbt" value="Click here to complete Order"> Please note you have a maximum of 60 characters.

My question is:

How can I manually finalize the order, if they were not returned from Paypal?

I can see the product in their shopping cart, but I don't know how I can finalize the order and add the shipping charges and/or taxes after the fact.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Also, if you are having this problem, please contact Paypal. Maybe with enough complaints they will help fix this problem. Their business will suffer along with ours.

Brian

so if we turn off the ability to pay with a credit card without having an account, this might help?

Correct, if you accept payment ONLY from PayPal accounts your customer will be returned.

My question is:

How can I manually finalize the order, if they were not returned from Paypal?

I can see the product in their shopping cart, but I don't know how I can finalize the order and add the shipping charges and/or taxes after the fact.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Also, if you are having this problem, please contact Paypal. Maybe with enough complaints they will help fix this problem. Their business will suffer along with ours.

Brian

There are a few different contributions that should help out...

Held Orders logs all orders before going to 3rd party payment process; you'll have a Held Orders section in admin just like the Orders section.

MOECTOE allows new customer creation, new order creation, and existing order edit. Can be a little buggy but works.

Order Editor - not sure you can create new orders with this.

Put notices on your checkout pages so credit card customers know they have to return and yes! call PayPal.

well it's irritating to have to register but they shouldn't be irritated with ME, they'll think Paypal is making them register.... so that should be an easy solution. I've turned on my return to webpage thingy, but there's a lot of talk here that it doesn't work... doesn't work at all??

• 2 years later...

I'm running version 2.2 rc2 with Paypal Standard Payment module. I"m experiencing very similar problem. It was all fine for months. Today I received payment notification from Paypal but no receipt from Oscommerce and wasnt able to locate the order in the admin panel either. I have customer information so I was able to question him. I'm so embarrassed to have this difficulty on a live server. Please advise me how to avoid this in the future. I tested it myself and everything seems to be fine. I cant ask my customers what did the do, that I didnt get the invoice :( At this point I'm about to uninstall Oscommerce and switch to Zen.... .

• 3 years later...

For others reading this topic with similar problems the situation is as follows:

When processing credict card payments through paypal your customers have closed the window without clicking the link to return to your store meaning that as far as OSCommerce is concerned the order never reached the completed phase (The link returns you to checkout_success.php) so while you have been payed the order has not been finalised. If you were to look in the SQL databases at this point you would find that the order is still in their cart. I'm working on finding a functioning solution for this problem but its a hard one. is there anyone out there who knows how to combine the Held orders contribution with v2.3.3?