• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How do I change my background?

Ausgirl

Hello,

Ive been searching the forum looking for an answer but cant find one unless I have missed it. I was looking through my files thinking I would come across one called background.gif. :blink: but couldnt find it.

Can someone please tell me where I find this and what it is called so I can upload my own background. Im sure its only as simple as 2 clicks of the mouse. Im lost :-"

Much appreciated.

Ausgirl,

stylesheet.css

BODY {
 background: #FFFFFF;
 color: #000000;
}

If you want an image for the background, add this to the above making sure you upload the image to the images folder:

background: url("images/whatever.gif");

jon

It's all just ones and zeros....

Thank You, I knew it would only take two clicks. I have a big white space at the top now, how do I fill that in with a banner? If I wanted the background to go all the way would I just write repeat or something in the code? I would like to know how to fill it in with a plain coloured banner though, cant have my site looking like a flower bed threw up on it. :)

Much appreciated

Haha! Can't have that, no! I am new to PHP and oscommerce but in the includes/footer.php, there is a call for a banner (standard oscommerce banner). Can you not move that call to includes/header.php and position it where it's needed?

When you write "all the way," do you mean you have a small gif image that you want/don't want repeating?

The background spec in the stylesheet can be used for TR styles, as well. I don't know if your background is an image or a colour. Got a URL to show?

jon

Hello Jon,

I worked it out, took away the the flowered background ( heee heee it wasnt a good look) and added a nice white painted one. The top part is no longer "blank" I now have a picture reaching all the way across.

Have a look! www.shoppinginurpjs.com

Now all I need to do is add more pages to my "Information" box (where the contact us, conditions ect... are) I would like to add a links page in this box. (but dont know how, its starting to get a bit technical for me, I saw a add a page mod in contributions but my pc didnt like it, dont know if a bug was attached but my virus program wouldnt allow it) Is there a way just to add a heading "Links" to this box by code?

I would also like to add my address down the bottom of my home page where the copy right notice is, (At the moment it is on my contact us page) Im obviously doing something wrong because every time I try it comes out to big and to the left of the page.

I would also like to move the Cart, reviews, specials, language, currency boxes on the home page over to the right hand side, at the moment they are down the bottom left and dont look right there and not easily viewable. I would like them to display the same as they do when you click on a catagory or product.

I was going to post about these else where in the forum but not sure what section.

Can you help me please,

Much appreciated. :)

Thank You

Hello Jon,

I worked it out, took away the the flowered background ( heee heee it wasnt a good look) and added a nice white painted one. The top part is no longer "blank" I now have a picture reaching all the way across.

Have a look! http://shoppinginurpjs.com

Ausgirl,

First things first: You've made an assumption when creating your image that everyone has the screen resolution set the same or higher. Your image is 1004x150. Your index.php result on my screen (1024x768) is that your column_right is pushed below everything else and appears below column_left. What's going to happen when someone has their resolution set to 800x600?

Suggest outputting you original photo to a proper jpg (gif is good for line art but not for photos), and set its width to no more than 800x?? (proportionate to your height, in theis case x120). You can change the reference in /includes/header.php (line 57) and

1. Change the image name from oscommerce.gif to whatever.jpg.

2. Change 'OS Commerce' to 'Shopping In Your PJs' <--which is more explanatory than shoppinginurpjs

<td valign="middle"><?php echo '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT) . '">' . tep_image(DIR_WS_IMAGES . 'oscommerce.gif', 'osCommerce') . '</a>'; ?></td>

A couple of things. In your style sheet:

Remove the extra space after font-weight:

TD.headerNavigation {
 font-family: Verdana, Arial, sans-serif;
 font-size: 10px;
 background: #C71585;
 color: #ffffff;
 font-weight : bold;
}

Add as space after the : in font-weight. Also, add another font choice if the viewer doesn't have Goudy on their machine:

TD.pageHeading, DIV.pageHeading {
 font-family: Goudy Old Style;
 font-size: 20px;
 font-weight:bold; 
 color: #6A5ACD;
}

I think your image is too wide. Fixing that should resolve this one layout problem. I have had my share of layout problems and it's awful trying to figure out what's what.

As I am also a learner, let's resolve one thing at a time :)

jon

Hey Jon,

Im having alot of trouble staying connected, Im suppose to be recieving a new modem today assuming it turns up! Its taken me half an hour just to try and reply. I will try and do as you have suggested, (Im completely clueless) Here I was thinking Id done good, lol, I wouldnt have a clue.

Anyway I will let you know how I go. Thanks for helping me its very much appreciated.

Ruth

Hey Jon,

Im having alot of trouble staying connected, Im suppose to be recieving a new modem today assuming it turns up! Its taken me half an hour just to try and reply. I will try and do as you have suggested, (Im completely clueless) Here I was thinking Id done good, lol, I wouldnt have a clue.

Anyway I will let you know how I go. Thanks for helping me its very much appreciated.

Ruth

Hello Jon (If you are still about)

Ive done all of the above except for the width of my picture, Why because it wont reach all the way across at 800 and looks silly. Im sure there is a way better but Im not that cluey. As for the extra spaces or no spaces I was missing. You must have bionic eye site. Better than mine.

Since you are a newbie, you wouldnt have the code for

Editing /home/wwwshop/public_html/admin/includes/boxes/tools.php...

Ive had so many problems with my connection that I wasnt quick enough to save it. Im only missing two lines.

Thank you kindly

:)