• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

UK postcode based shipping module

Hoheria

The previous thread was at:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...mp;#entry980131

but judging by the deafening silence it was either the wrong place (likely!) or nobody is interested in a Uk shipping module based on carrier delivery zones which searches this data out from the postcode.

We'll I'm nearly there and have used zipship as the basis which itself is a slightly modified version of the standard zones shipping module.

My mods format the postcode correctly with a gap after first character set (using the existing excellent postcode checker) then splits the postcode and searches the first bit of the code against the msql database (derived from data supplied by our carrier APC) and then returns this delivery area and looks up against the table rates inputted through admin. About a dozen zones for whole of UK so very manageageable (compare 3000 postcode entries in database).

It's configured for APC but I'm sure could be adapted for ANC, TNT or whoever. You'd need to get hold of tech support for your carrier to get hold of their zone/postcode tables I imagine.

So if anyone wants to test this out before I post on "contributions" site then please send me a note and I'll send you the zipped file in a day or two.

Martin

• 11 months later...
Package now posted at:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4712

all feedback appreciated, it would be useful if someone can contribute the carrier zone info for other UK carriers e.g. TNT, ANC etc

Martin

Hello Martin,

Just to give you some +ve feedback (sounds like something from that well known auction site :lol: )

I have installed the contribution you have created, and it works great for me.

I changed it to use a local courier only, so simply only have a £0 charge on four postcode areas and everything else is £9.

Without contributions from people like yourself, the starters (ie me) would get nowhere.

Great, many thanks. :thumbsup:

Andy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
The previous thread was at:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...mp;#entry980131

but judging by the deafening silence it was either the wrong place (likely!) or nobody is interested in a Uk shipping module based on carrier delivery zones which searches this data out from the postcode.

We'll I'm nearly there and have used zipship as the basis which itself is a slightly modified version of the standard zones shipping module.

My mods format the postcode correctly with a gap after first character set (using the existing excellent postcode checker) then splits the postcode and searches the first bit of the code against the msql database (derived from data supplied by our carrier APC) and then returns this delivery area and looks up against the table rates inputted through admin. About a dozen zones for whole of UK so very manageageable (compare 3000 postcode entries in database).

It's configured for APC but I'm sure could be adapted for ANC, TNT or whoever. You'd need to get hold of tech support for your carrier to get hold of their zone/postcode tables I imagine.

So if anyone wants to test this out before I post on "contributions" site then please send me a note and I'll send you the zipped file in a day or two.

Martin

Hello Martin

I am after a module so I can configure the shipping for my UK store, any chance of trying it, [email protected]

Regards

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

hi

good contrib thanks,

but if for example the item is being shipped to a non mainland zone for "noon" (using the contrib example) and this is not an option we need a way to turn the selection off if this is the case,

at the moment it is simply giving a note and the price as £0.00 and but is allowing the order to be processed

this is quite a drawback and people from these zones will be ordering for free "noon" delivery ! (believe me if people see something is free then there is no stopping them!)

ill have a think about it maybe some logic in checkout_shipping.php may be a solution

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

• 1 month later...