• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Contributions and copyright

interfaSys

I've always wondered how we were supposed to handle copyrights with contributions.

1) I'm using core functions, my contribution is based on existing osc files. Who owns what? Do I have any rights worth protecting at all?

2) I'm using core functions, my contribution is NOT based on existing osc files.

Copyright cohabitation?

3) I wrote new functions, my contribution is NOT based on existing osc files

Do I have to mention OSC at all in my headers?

Any other examples?

I'm asking this because I saw many diferent situations in headers ranging from "I've changed one line, it's now mine" to "Here are my changes, but don't tell anyone"

Olivier

interfaSys s?rl

-----------------------

You'll love to use our solutions!

Rich Internet Applications and Usability

As I understand it ALL contributions are released under the GPL.

It is stated so whenever you upload your contrib (also that it should contain a version of the GPL).

So in all three examples you can not release them commercially.

GPL rules are you give credit where credit's due.

1) GPL - you use osC functions/code/functionality, osC needs credit

2) GPL - you use osC functions/code/functionality, osC needs credit

3) GPL - don't know but I think credit is in place, because your code is an extention of GPL osC software

Anyone want to confirm this?

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

I've always wondered how we were supposed to handle copyrights with contributions.

Here is my view on it :)

1) I'm using core functions, my contribution is based on existing osc files. Who owns what? Do I have any rights worth protecting at all?

You own exactly what you wrote - not what you use.

2) I'm using core functions, my contribution is NOT based on existing osc files. Copyright cohabitation?

Did you copy core functions into their own separate files? That is what I understand by saying 'not based on existing osc files'.

If so, the original copyright to the functions needs to be displayed in the source file you copied them to.

3) I wrote new functions, my contribution is NOT based on existing osc files. Do I have to mention OSC at all in my headers?

No, you do not.

It is recommended to place the copyrights of contributions to osCommerce - that way we can fight any violations together. If you place your own copyrights, you will have to fight any violations alone as we will not have much influence over your work.

:heart:, osCommerce

Thanks fo your answers, I wanted your view on this ;)

About #1, my point is to know wether I can put my copyright in the header of my contribution files when the only things that I did was building a file from modifed code fragments taken elsewhere in OSC. A good example of this is the allcategoriesdropdown. I'am the "assembler", so do I "own" something? Is it worth mentioning? What about people that helped me?

Same thing about duplicating a function in general.php to provide additional functionalities. Do I have to mention my name?

#2 is about using the functions in general.php to build new functionnalities, so the copyright in general.php would be unchanged. But what should I put in the header of my contribution? The file is new but it's based on osc component. Based on your answer to #3 I guess I should leave the osc copyright on every file to get better protection, but am I required to?

Just to clear it up, this is more a question of "where can I put my name to please the osc crowd" than "how can I get rid of the osc mention".

Olivier

interfaSys s?rl

-----------------------

You'll love to use our solutions!

Rich Internet Applications and Usability

At the current GPL projects I'm involved I usually let the original header and © and add minor modifications, with agreement with original owner, as mentioned below:

1. Unless I re-wrote it or make major modifications in code I let the original headers untouched, else I had a mention like "Last Modified <date> by <my_name> <my_email_or_url>".

2. If the code/files are completly new and added by me I add "Module <mod_name> © <date> by <my_name> <my_email_or_url>";

3. In translations I usually add to the original header and the following: "<language> Translation © <date> by <my_name> <my_email_or_url>".

All project leaders agreed with this line of work until now :wink:

8) Lopo

If I helped you, you can help others too.

Search Affero Network. Thanks :)

--

moving mentalities >> fast forward

• 1 month later...
So in all three examples you can not release them commercially.

Ofcourse you can. The GPL is about freedom - not price.

More information can be found here:

http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/selling.html

In general: Everything you write is your copyright. Under american legislation you can transfer your copyright to some other entity so you can use © by osCommerce if you want to do this. Under european legislation this is not possible.

HTH

You can't have everything. That's why trains have difficulty crossing oceans, and hippos did not adapt to fly. -- from the OpenBSD mailinglist.

Archived