• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Dreaming of Open Source

Adam

I found OSC about 3 weeks ago. It made me want to cry, I simply could not believe that a) An entire e-commerce solution with bags of functionality was ready to deploy B) I could modify or/and add contributions as needed and c) That it was not only free but effectively supported through the forums.

I haven't asked any questions on the forums, although I'm not a programmer I know my way around linux/apache/mysql and php. Besides if you spend a few minutes almost any problem is easily solved routing through the forums.

I just installed Ian's GV and Coupon contributions and I can't even begin to express how good that made me feel. Ian you surely are a php god!

Anyway, the point is that this project is special. What Harald and the team have achieved makes me humble. That it is open source gives me faith in the future of the internet.

I don't believe that simply taking from the community is right, I believe that everyone who uses this project must give something back to the community, no matter how small. The question is : do we have a way of utilising the efforts that 'non-skilled' community members have? I can't contribute to the development work, my skills are no where close to being of use. But I feel that I could contribute somehow.

Typing up documentation? Laying out documentation? Contributing design elements to the proposed templates? Making Harald's tea so he can keep on programming? That kind of thing.

OSC has enabled me to put together a site that 3 weeks ago I could only dream of. I don't know how anyone else feels but I want to give back ina constructive way. Is there a 'distributed' model we could come up with that starts to spread some of the 'mundane' workload around?

/* Intellectual property: are you for or against the human race? */

if ( you want exclusive ownership of an idea ) {

keep your idea to yourself;

// you greedy bastard

}

Here bloody here!!!

With more people who think this way, perhaps osC will conquer the world! :)

Gave me a heads up as well - thanks Adam.

Although I have contributed to this forum a little, even though I'm still wet behind the ears with php! :? I feel the same way Adam does.

So, Harald

Applied Ecommerce: Analysis and Engineering for Ecommerce Systems Arthur M. Langer;

from your wishlist is on it's way to you.

Thank you my friend and keep up the good work.

Simon

Archived