• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can someone please explain the reason for the Paypal IPN

josieg182

I have installed the paypal payment module and I was wondering if I need the Paypal IPN contribution at all and if I do need it why and which one should I use? Can someone please please help me?

Thank you!

Dani

Take nothing but pictures.

Leave nothing but footprints.

Kill nothing but time.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

Yes, you need it and it should be the oscommerce paypal IPN one. IPN stands for Instant Payment Notification. With the module you are not using, if a customer goes to paypal to pay and then leaves without returning to your site, your shop is never notified that the order was completed so you won't see it. With IPN, paypal notifies your shop as soon as payment is made so it doesn't matter what the customer does at that point.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Yes, you need it and it should be the oscommerce paypal IPN one. IPN stands for Instant Payment Notification. With the module you are not using, if a customer goes to paypal to pay and then leaves without returning to your site, your shop is never notified that the order was completed so you won't see it. With IPN, paypal notifies your shop as soon as payment is made so it doesn't matter what the customer does at that point.

Jack

Thank you very much Jack! I should use the one huh, not the 4? The new ones don't work?

Kill nothing but time.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

Thank you very much Jack! I should use the one huh, not the 4? The new ones don't work?

And also, what if I just used some text in the header stating they had to click the button below to return to the site to finalize the order, wouldn't that just work? I do not know enough about php and I hate screwing with things that aren't broken if ya know what I mean! Let me know, and Thank YOu!

Dani

Kill nothing but time.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")

I don't understand what you mean by "not the 4." Placing a note telling them to return is a very bad way of doing it and probably won't work anyway. Fortunately, out of all of the contributions, this is one of the very easiest to install and doesn't require any php (or even html) knowledge at all.

- download the contribution

- unzip it

- upload to your server

- install in admin

Total time is about 5-10 minutes.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Jack

I'm also using the "plain" PayPal module, but it appears customers are going thru checkout, making the payment via the module, and not returning to the shop to finish checking out. I DO get an email from PayPal stating the total & shipping, but NO order details... the order NEVER shows up and I'm left guessing what they ordered! :'(

Are you saying the IPN version will eliminate this? If so, in what way?

Like the order contents are sent with the PayPal notification? Or it runs the checkout differently, so they aren't as likely to stop before completion?

TIA

I don't understand what you mean by "not the 4." Placing a note telling them to return is a very bad way of doing it and probably won't work anyway. Fortunately, out of all of the contributions, this is one of the very easiest to install and doesn't require any php (or even html) knowledge at all.

- download the contribution

- unzip it

- upload to your server

- install in admin

Total time is about 5-10 minutes.

Jack

I am sorry, by "not the 4" I meant not the 4th version of the paypal IPN contribution. You said use 1 and I was just clarifying, the 1st version and not the 4th or newest version? I just don't want to mess anything vital up. Thanks!

Dani

Kill nothing but time.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")