• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

free shipping by categories Problem

I just installed Free Shipping by cat 1.3 and i can't find where in the admin to actually install and or turn it on.

Does anyone have any experience with this module. i have all of the code and files changed and uploaded..

The Instructions say

First note that module is turned off by default (first configuration value). turn it on to use.

Maybe I am just having a brain fart but I can't find it.

Edited by cyberfolli

• 2 months later...
I just installed Free Shipping by cat 1.3 and i can't find where in the admin to actually install and or turn it on.

Does anyone have any experience with this module. i have all of the code and files changed and uploaded..

The Instructions say

First note that module is turned off by default (first configuration value). turn it on to use.

Maybe I am just having a brain fart but I can't find it.

You're not the only one.

I too installed and can't see how where to switch it on from.

• 6 months later...

If you installed it correctly, it should be located under "Modules", "Shipping". Double click on the "free shipping" module, then click "Install". You can then turn the module on and off, as well as set the other options.

The problem I'm having is that it only works if the customer buys a product from the free shipping categories only. If they add a product that is not in the free category list, it charges shipping for both items. I've tried every possible configuration but nothing gets it to work properly. It either charges shipping for both, or calculates free shipping for both, depending on the options selected in the admin configuration. This seems like an easy fix, but unfortunately I'm not a hard coder, and am hoping someone picks up on this, as it would be a very useful contribution.

• 4 weeks later...

In regards to the installation problems - will stake money on it that you guys did not read the read me section properly and only copied the 2 php files that came with the contribution. The readme contains some modifications to files in the admin area that will show the free shipping in the admin area.

I am not a hard coder myself tyro but I have used this workaround on the site I am building at the moment. I have my shipping calculating by the unit bought ( as it is all same weight games that I will be selling ) so when I installed the gift voucher contribution I had a problem in that shipping was being charged for gift vouchers.

I have edited the error message this contribution displays at checkout to say that vouchers must be bought seperately to avoid a shipping charge. It seems to be working fine for me. Is there a possibility you could do similar with your site as in require customers to purchase the free shipping items seperately ? ( I know thats fine for gift vouchers and is a pain in the ass for normal products :) )

In regards to the installation problems - will stake money on it that you guys did not read the read me section properly and only copied the 2 php files that came with the contribution. The readme contains some modifications to files in the admin area that will show the free shipping in the admin area.

I am not a hard coder myself tyro but I have used this workaround on the site I am building at the moment. I have my shipping calculating by the unit bought ( as it is all same weight games that I will be selling ) so when I installed the gift voucher contribution I had a problem in that shipping was being charged for gift vouchers.

I have edited the error message this contribution displays at checkout to say that vouchers must be bought seperately to avoid a shipping charge. It seems to be working fine for me. Is there a possibility you could do similar with your site as in require customers to purchase the free shipping items seperately ? ( I know thats fine for gift vouchers and is a pain in the ass for normal products :) )

I'm interested in this module as well. We charge by the price and not weight. Do you know if this will work for me?

I'm a NOVICE. Can you tell me where in the file to insert the code? The instructions don't specify where in the file to insert the new code. I've tried a couple of times adding the code in different places but when I install the module I get an error message.

Edited by jmdoucet

• 4 months later...
The problem I'm having is that it only works if the customer buys a product from the free shipping categories only. If they add a product that is not in the free category list, it charges shipping for both items. I've tried every possible configuration but nothing gets it to work properly. It either charges shipping for both, or calculates free shipping for both, depending on the options selected in the admin configuration. This seems like an easy fix, but unfortunately I'm not a hard coder, and am hoping someone picks up on this, as it would be a very useful contribution.

This is addressed in the free shipping by cats v1.4 contribution