• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIBUTION] Subcategory textboxes

chris23

Chris,

Another thing: I just upgraded from 2.0.1 to v2.0.2 to have the dropdown menu, but I cannot see it. It looks just the same.

Any suggestions?

Hi Norman,

Hope you're well; it's been a while!

You may not notice a difference. The dropdown is still there, it's just the contents that have changed. If you have subcategories, the parent gets shown in [] brackets before the subcategory. If you only have main categories, you won't see a difference.

I made this change as I'd done a sports shop which had lots of subcategories called bats, balls and rackets and I couldn't see what belonged to which parent :blush:

Hope this clears this up.

Kind regards,

Chris

Please use forum for support rather than PM - PMs unrelated to my contributions will be ignored.

Google Site Search is your friend

My contributions: Tracking Module | PDF Customer Invoice | Subcategory textboxes

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anybody who has implemented the WYSIWYG Editor to this contrib. ?

It would really help me alot :)

regards

Jarzom

Hi Jarzom,

I've successfully used TinyMCE with the contribution, as have other users - search this thread for TinyMCE.

Search the contib area for TinyMCE and install it.

You then add the javascript to catalog/admin/products_extra_category.php as per the TinyMCE instructions and you're done.

HTH

Chris

Please use forum for support rather than PM - PMs unrelated to my contributions will be ignored.

My contributions: Tracking Module | PDF Customer Invoice | Subcategory textboxes

Hi Jarzom,

I've successfully used TinyMCE with the contribution, as have other users - search this thread for TinyMCE.

Search the contib area for TinyMCE and install it.

You then add the javascript to catalog/admin/products_extra_category.php as per the TinyMCE instructions and you're done.

HTH

Chris

Thanks allot Chris. It works perfectly :thumbsup:

Chris,

I've been trying to find a solution for my problem between a friend and myself and still haven't come up with one. My post is on the previous page. I understand that you are busy, I just wanted to make sure that you see it since it has been pushed back a little with other responses. Thanks for the great contrib though, it's working good on the pages that it does display on.

Hi Norman,

Hope you're well; it's been a while!

Yep, all is well.

Shop runs without any problems and has just been updated to run on php5 and MySQL5.

I also got a SEO guy to look at it and he suggested to remove the stripslashes from the Subcategorie textboxes because everything was in bold.

When using TinyMCE you can easely highlight specials words or even use <h1> tags etc. for SEO purposes.

You may not notice a difference. The dropdown is still there, it's just the contents that have changed. If you have subcategories, the parent gets shown in [] brackets before the subcategory. If you only have main categories, you won't see a difference.

I made this change as I'd done a sports shop which had lots of subcategories called bats, balls and rackets and I couldn't see what belonged to which parent :blush:

Hope this clears this up.

Kind regards,

Chris

Stupid me :-"

I've already updated to this version a long time ago (forgot to document this) so that is why I did not say anything new. :lol:

Norman in 't Veldt

osCommerce The Netherlands

Chris,

I've been trying to find a solution for my problem between a friend and myself and still haven't come up with one. My post is on the previous page. I understand that you are busy, I just wanted to make sure that you see it since it has been pushed back a little with other responses. Thanks for the great contrib though, it's working good on the pages that it does display on.

Apologies Paul - you slipped through the net.

You should be getting a box with "test" on http://www.paintballer 187.com/index.php?cPath=33, provided you have a text box set for this category.

Very odd that other ones are working.

I've PMd you my email address. Can you email me:

1) a copy of your catalog/index.php

2) a screenshot of admin/textboxes so I can see what text is assigned to each category

PS love the opacity effect. Makes you feel sorry for those using that excuse of a browser from Redmond who don't get the benefit ;)

Chris

Anyone have any ideas on this sql error:

Error

SQL query:

--

-- Table structure for table `extra_cat_info`

--

CREATE TABLE `extra_cat_info` (

`categories_id` int( 11 ) NOT NULL ,

`categories_description` text NOT NULL ,

`language_id` int( 11 ) NOT NULL default '1',

PRIMARY KEY ( `categories_id` , `language_id` )

) ENGINE = MYISAM ;

MySQL said:

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ENGINE=MyISAM' at line 6

Anyone have any ideas on this sql error:

Elaine,

Try:

`categories_id` int(11) NOT NULL,
 `categories_description` text NOT NULL,
 `language_id` int(11) NOT NULL default '1',
 PRIMARY KEY  (`categories_id`,`language_id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

There are some strange differences between MySQL 4 and 5 - do you know what you're using? - and versions of phpMyAdmin which can give #1064 errors

HTH

Chris

Elaine,

Try:

) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

There are some strange differences between MySQL 4 and 5 - do you know what you're using? - and versions of phpMyAdmin which can give #1064 errors

HTH

Chris

I tried this code and am still getting an error

Error

SQL query:

`categories_id` int( 11 ) NOT NULL ,

`categories_description` text NOT NULL ,

`language_id` int( 11 ) NOT NULL default '1',

PRIMARY KEY ( `categories_id` , `language_id` )

) ENGINE = MYISAM DEFAULT CHARSET = latin1

MySQL said:

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1' at line 6

Still cant get the database code to work. Anyone have any other suggestions?

Elaine,

Have a look at the explanations and suggested solutions for this MySQL error at http://www.modwest.com/help/kb6-265.html

If none of these fixes help, we can try populating the database manually via phpMyAdmin (though this is a faff!)

Cheers

Chris

is it possible to add photos or java in this text box?

You can put whatever you like in the text box. Anything that can go in a standard <div> element.

HTH

Chris

Elaine,

Have a look at the explanations and suggested solutions for this MySQL error at http://www.modwest.com/help/kb6-265.html

If none of these fixes help, we can try populating the database manually via phpMyAdmin (though this is a faff!)

Cheers

Chris

I am sorry, I really dont know what they are talking about on that page. It says

The simplest and most effective solution for it is.

-when using phpMyadmin,select the "compatibility mode" & select the

target db version from the drop down box.

but where "compatability mode" is in phpmyadmin I dont know. I do not know enough about the code in the sql file to modify certain parts of it to make it work. i tried replacing

ENGINE=MyISAM

with

ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1;

and then tried replacing latin1 with utf8

and neither worked.

I have no idea what any of this means but either way there is a problem with the ENGINE=MyISAM part of the code..... Sorry to sound so brain dead....

I have no idea what any of this means but either way there is a problem with the ENGINE=MyISAM part of the code..... Sorry to sound so brain dead....

Don't panic Elaine - we'll do this the manual way

First, edit the supplied subcategory_textboxes.sql and REMOVE:

) ENGINE=MyISAM;

Then save. We'll run this SQL file after creating the extra_cat_info table via phpMyAdmin

Now:

1. Open phpMyAdmin

2. Select your osC database

3. At the bottom of your list of tables, you'll see "Create new table on database" and two input boxes In "name" type extra_cat_info and in the "number of fields", enter 3. Click 'Go'

4. Look at the screenshot here. Fill out your fields as per the screenshot. Note the screenshot cuts off the field names. They are from top to bottom:- categories_id, categories_description, language_id

5. Choose MyISAM as storage engine and click 'SAVE'

You should now have the table created

Now run the modified SQL file from above to complete the SQL install

This SHOULD get you up and running

Cheers

Chris

Edited by chris23

Ooh this is scary lol. Ok Everything looks fine except I dont have a "Collation" field in my phpmyadmin. should I not worry about that part?

Yes you can safely ignore the collation

Chris, you are the man. It says everything went successfully. Thanks!

Great stuff. Now have a play and make sure you can create a textbox to ensure everything else is OK.

Well done - not too scary was it?!

Regards,

Chris

Great stuff. Now have a play and make sure you can create a textbox to ensure everything else is OK.

Well done - not too scary was it?!

Regards,

Chris

Well.... Its hard to explain the anxiety I get when doing ANYTHING to my data base even when I do a backup... Just so much work has the potential to be lost :-)

I am going to do the rest of the contribution here in a few minutes and I will let you know how it goes. Thanks so much.

Hello. I tried to install this nice contrib but got some error. Indeed, I have OSC2 with other contrib, one of them being Admin Access Level.

The installation works good, however, when I click on Subcategory text, I got the message

No Right Permission Access
Please contact your Web Administrator to request
more access or if you found any problem.

How can I get rid of this error ?

http://grunionfabrication.com/moto/endos-h...c-58_59_60.html

See on this page where is says "Honda" the first time and how there is a huge gap between that and the beginning of the description? How do I make the gap smaller?

Have a look in product_info.php between

<!-- BOF: Show subcategories in Product Listing -->

and

<!-- EOF: Show subcategories in Product Listing -->

You'll have a couple of:

<?php echo tep_draw_separator('pixel_trans.gif', '100%', '10'); ?>

spacers in there I think, giving you 20px of vertical dead space. Either get rid of the code, or reduce the '10' to '1' or similar

HTH

Chris

Edited by chris23