• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Please help...strange problem...

lightanother

Was wondering if someone might be able to shed some light on our shop. We are running ver 2.2 and everything has been running smoothly until today. There have been no updates or changes to the site for a few days. Here is the problem:

Someone will go through the site, put items in their cart. Go through the checkout process (using paypal as gateway). Customer and us will receive pmt notification from paypal. Site did not send out order confirmation nor did it log the order.

The first time this happend was about 24 hours ago and just chalked it up to a hickup. Had many orders after this which processed fine. Had an order about hour to 1 1/2 hours ago that did somewhat the same thing. Difference was it took 35 min for osc confimation email and order history to show up.

The site address is http://www.lightanother.com/catalog

Any light on this matter would be greatly apreciated!

Thanks

Short of yelling at PayPal or the Customer? Ummmm ... off hand I do not have a solution ... maybe flip into frames ... do the PayPal thing ... flip out of frames ...

And nope ... not a clue how to do that or I'd do it too :roll:

Linda,

Okay, well thanks for the fast reply and figuring this out for us. Guess we will have to better educate our shoppers. Since sitting next to them and telling them is out of the question, guess we will have to bang our heads at the wall till something comes to mind.

Thanks again...

PayPal IPN is Instant Payment Notification. As I understand it with IPN your customers won't have to hit Continue for the order to get posted back to your store. I believe you're thinking about PayPal's subscription service (which IPN also assists with).

Someone currently using IPN want to comment here?

"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."

-- Andrew Jackson

Paul,

Thank you and sorry for the delay in getting back. I had to get back to work and couldn't continue with the postings. After reading on the IPN, it still sounds like the customer needs to click on the continue button for everything to work (good old paypal and the poor help files). If you are using this method, can you confirm that for me? If that is the case, it still seems like the customers just need to be educated on the mater.

Thanks

I'm not using this yet as my store is still in development, but IPN was my plan. Now I'm not sure. I'm rereading the IPN info I can find and none of it is very clear. I wish they had a demo of the various payment procedures.

Anyone using this want to help out here?

-- Andrew Jackson

You can say that again. Guess some of the developers of OSC need to go to paypal and show um how its done! lol

Well, if you happen to find something or hear something please let me know.

You might be able to help with area of the website. I am looking at having on the checkout page on the bottom a place that they have to check that they have read and agreed to terms & conditions before they can proceed. Is there something out there already that I can use without having to reinvent the wheel? I haven't looked at the programming of it yet to see what's all going to be involved, so I don't know how difficult it will be. I'm still fumbling around in PHP programming... :oops:

The site address again is http://www.lightanother.com/catalog

Thanks

I was peeking at your site ...

Your front page is designed for 800x600 but after that the shop middle goes the width of the screen.

On an 800x600 display that works but I am on 1600x1200 and it looks a bit like you gained a little weight there around the middle when the sides blow out :shock:

Thanks for the update. I will take a look at it over the next couple of days. My monitor went on the fritz and I had to pull out a very old one that I can't get the correct drivers for to expand past 640X480. I should have it in a few days, so I will be able to check on that. But thanks again for the input. I love to hear pros and cons on the site.

Never mind on the on the terms and conditions peice. I worked in some coding and now you can not place an order without stating you have read and agree to the terms and conditions. Don't know if I did it right or not, but it works. :roll:

Thanks,

Webmaster for LightAnother.com

Disabling javascript got around it. You may want to putting the checkbox on the checkout_payment page instead of checkout_confirmation. Then you could have it pass a variable to checkout_confirmation and if it's not checked have it redirect you back to checkout_payment, setting another flag in the process, and have checkout _payment flash something in red letting them know that they have to check the box.

-- Andrew Jackson

I currently use Pablo's Paypal IPC contrib in my store, and it works GREAT.

The order is written into the database just before sending the customer to paypal. Thie order is recorded as 'Paypal Processing'.

If the customer presses the continue button, the order is updated to 'Processing' the normal way.

If the customer forgets to hit the continue button, The IPN responds and by calling the paypal_notify.php script, which updates the order to "Processing"

The only drawback right now, is it leaves orders in the DB as 'Paypal Processing' for those that did not complete the transaction, but were sent to paypal before changing their mind. These records currently have to be cleaned up.

I use there records to email these 'potential' customers, and respectfully ask them why they changed their mind.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Archived