• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Looking for shipping suggestion

When I get my shop up and running I really don't want to carry too much inventory and would like to do most of my physical shipping with drop shipping from distributors. The question: is there a shipping module that lends itself to this? Something that would make it easier on me? Am I kidding myself on not wanting to carry alot of inventory?

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

This has been discussed before I think.

On the surface, if you *always* drop ship, and from the same place, then things are fairly simple as you just have to use the drop shippers zip code for shipping calcs.

If you drop ship from one location, and sell from stock sometimes, things get a little more complex as if an order is split, how do you calculate it? Though, in that case, you might always drop ship, so still possible.

If you have multiple vendors, things get really complex as they might ship from 3 or 4 different zip codes. So, even a vendor zip code at the item level would not help.

I don't think there is an easy answer for the last case. I have 6 vendors for one business I have. For me, I just calculate shipping as if it was from me, it's not the customers fault if they order products coming from different vendors. If I want to pay less shipping, then I will stock more items.

How would you suggest handling multiple vendors?

Steve

If you have multiple vendors, things get really complex as they might ship from 3 or 4 different zip codes. So, even a vendor zip code at the item level would not help.

I don't think there is an easy answer for the last case. I have 6 vendors for one business I have. For me, I just calculate shipping as if it was from me, it's not the customers fault if they order products coming from different vendors. If I want to pay less shipping, then I will stock more items.

How would you suggest handling multiple vendors?

This is what I was thinking. I will end up having multiple vendors and a few items (from local vendors) will probably be in inventory. Well, loosely in inventory anyway. I'll end up going and getting them myself from time to time to ship.

This has shipping contribution written all over it. I may have to give this some thought to see if I can come up with a way for it to work. At least on paper. I did a search for this topic, although I didn't try very hard, and didn't find anything.

A mod for this would probably have to calculate the shipping one item at a time and each item would have to have some kind of "tag" for which vendor it would come from. But that's just off the top of my head.

I would love to hear of a way you think it would work, mod or not. I don;t see a good way to even figure it yourself if they buy 4 items, one from stock, and 3 from 3 different vendors. No way the customer will pay for 4 different shipping charges, it will cost them too much.

But, still, if you have any ideas, let's hear them.

Steve

Archived