• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

removing id sessions for googlebots...

I saw this in an older thread, and was just wondering if others have tried it and it has worked. I want to stay away from allprods.php if I can, and just let the spiders crawl around indexing my site...

OK, I've tried this in html_output.html just before the session ID is appended to the URL:

if (eregi("Googlebot",getenv("HTTP_USER_AGENT")) || eregi("googlebot",getenv("HTTP_USER_AGENT"))) {

$sess = NULL;

}

if (eregi("WebCrawler",getenv("HTTP_USER_AGENT")) || eregi("InternetSeer",getenv("HTTP_USER_AGENT"))) {

$sess = NULL;

}

Tried this today and saw Inktomi and InternetSeer spider the site fine - this should stop google and other bots from thinking there are duplicate pages and therefore considering them as spam. You can try it out with something like:

Good idea - This is certainly something that does need to be done to get rid of the Session ID's with the search bots...

Allprods.php is fine and works well if linked via a normal link on the site.... :sigh:

Hey guys,

This sounds like a good idea, and I was wondering if you could clearify.

I don't think that I currently have an html_output.html file. Is this a file that comes with the snapshot? If not could someone please explain what it is, and what should be in it?

If it does come with the current snapshot, could you please direct me towards it, and provide specifics on exactly where to insert this code?

I would greatly appreciate it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

I found the file in includes/functions, but haven't looked at it yet to see what to do. I won't have time to get to that until Sunday or Monday, but i'm in a hurry because I want to go live next weekend with my site. BTW, I have a snapshot dated 6/18/2002

I saw this in an older thread, and was just wondering if others have tried it and it has worked. I want to stay away from allprods.php if I can, and just let the spiders crawl around indexing my site...

So have you tried to do the test and have your ip added and see if it did take the session id away?

crshNbrn

crshNbrn living on the edge.....

I tried using this mod and couldn't get it working.

I tested it, changing the code to recognise IE and to remove the session id and it seemed to work. I said no to the cookie and the session id was not appended.

However, the Googlebot was not picked up by the code and continued to add the session id. The Googlebot id I was receiving was different to the one in the code, I played about with it a bit but couldn't get it to pick it up.

I'll be having another go in the next few days, though Google has not stopped indexing the site. Anyone know how to kick the indexing back in, it was hitting the site a few times every day.

Jon.

Yeah I would like ot use this too. I have a couple bots that keep picking up an OSCiD and then get errors.

Do I just add the code to the html_output file? Does it go at the beginning or end?

Archived