Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mpm

2 yrs in the making - my charity store

http://www.mpm.org.au/shop/

This is a live shop with live products but we haven't officially launched nor 100% tested it so be careful how you play with it! (we also haven't added all our products just yet)

It is oscommerce, then oscommerce loadedAU (a version of oscommerce with sts 3 but more importantly the australian business side of things taken care of, banking modules, shipping, etc), then I think I've added these contributions:

- master products

- featured products

- more pics

- categories disable/enable

- minimum order

- plus lots of smaller contribs and fixes that I can't remember!

I also bought a template that I liked the look of but it was useless really but it's what I've based the design on. Having said that except for the background images in the header all the illustrations are by me (including the main pic in the header).

So how does it look and navigate? And what platform do you use etc, etc?

And yes - it's really taken me 2 years to finish this store - 2 years of hard, hard work and 200 odd posts in this (fantasticly supported) forum!

For my contribution (to society) see my profile link.

--

my new charity store features: STSv4.5.2 and HTCv2.6.3 Bundle, Australian Post Shipping, Paymate, Category Trees Minimum Order Quantity, Enable/Disable Categories, Super Download Store, Paypal IPN, Free Dowloads, Anti-Robot Registration 2.6, Master Products, Lightbox for STS ... the rebuild continues...

Looks great! I don't have many suggestions, but here they are:

• Make the logo in the top left a link that takes you to the main page.
  • Put the text from the October 5th blog post at the very top under "Welcome to our Art Objects Charity Store!" because I had absolutely no idea what your site was about until I found that post.
  • Make the overall text at least 11px. Small text, to me, seems contrictive and closed. Larger text makes the site seem simpler and more open.
  • Get rid of the standard OSC buttons -- they just don't fit into your design. There's a great online button generator that makes all of the default OSC buttons at a click. I can't post the URL, but search the forums and maybe you can find it or google for "oscbuttons".
  • The CAPTCHA that you have on your create account page isn't going to stop an automated bot, especially since the filenames are "validation_w.gif" for "W" and "validation_y.gif" for "Y". You might as well remove it or find a contribution that's a little more effective. No point in annoying your customers if it's not going to help anything.
  • On the Create Account page, you have a language file problem because it shows: "ENTRY_PRIVACY_AGREEMENT"

I didn't look around too terribly much, but you should be proud! You did a great job.

Please use the forums for support! I am happy to help you here, but I am unable to offer free technical support over instant messenger or e-mail.

Thank you Brian. That oscbuttons site sure is comprehensive! I haven't made anything yet just looked at it but it looks pretty good! I'm surprised its not listed in the 'network' tab or the community tab.

Thanks for the comments; that captcha thing is a major concern for me and something I keep meaning to look into esp. for the contact us page.

Do you know if the latest version of this contribution is more effective for CAPTCHA? http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1237

--

my new charity store features: STSv4.5.2 and HTCv2.6.3 Bundle, Australian Post Shipping, Paymate, Category Trees Minimum Order Quantity, Enable/Disable Categories, Super Download Store, Paypal IPN, Free Dowloads, Anti-Robot Registration 2.6, Master Products, Lightbox for STS ... the rebuild continues...

sorry double post for some reason

--

I usually just click through the button gallery and find a button design that I like. I thank God everyday that I don't have to make individual buttons in Photoshop anymore.

Regarding the CAPTCHA, on second thought, it's perfect for your site. I'd say leave it.

Since your website is still small, the only thing you have to worry about is automated bots that continuously scour the internet for vulnerable sites. *If* someone made it a mission to crack your CAPTCHA, it would be a matter of minutes, but there'd be no advantage so no reason to do it. The one you placed is simple, easy to read, and will stop the vast majority of automated bots searching for osCommerce create_account.php pages.

Please use the forums for support! I am happy to help you here, but I am unable to offer free technical support over instant messenger or e-mail.

Well done on your site. It has a very nice header, however:

There's no logic in having a currencies dropbox if you only use one currency.

The currencies dropbox only shows up in certain page headers.

The tabs in the header do not change colour when selected. If I click information the tab stays on home, even if the about us pages opens.

The column right is too empty compared with the length of each page and the column left.

Good Luck with your charity project

Upon receiving fixes and advice, too many people don't bother to post updates informing the forum of how it went. Until of course they need help again on other issues and they come running back!

Why receive the information you require in good faith for free, only to then have the attitude to ignore the people who gave it to you?

There's no harm in saying, 'Thanks, it worked'. On the contrary, it creates a better atmosphere.

CHOOCH

Hi Chooch,

Thanks for taking the time to have a look and comment.

I have 2 currencies set up at the moment (US and AUS) and will be adding more soon. I don't know why the currency box disappears off the product info pages but I am investigating!

That header swap is a little complicated for me at the moment (to execute) - down the track I hope I'll pick up the skills able to do stuff like that.

The right column IS very empty - I have a few things still to add mainly a Friends of MPM box and I want to try and install the cafe press contribution as well. One day I hope to have some custom advertising there as well. I have changed the sts_template file's first column to resemble the shortness of the product_info page. Now only the index page with the newsdesk entries has the longer page look.

I also increased the size of all the link fonts to 12 px and changed all the 10px fonts to 11 px as Brian suggested.

I will add a small about us caption above the loginbox resembling in style the categories box to inform punters what the shop is actually about. The problem with adding this information as a newsdesk entry is that I want to keep that fresh blog style for the main content.

Thanks guys for the comments.

And although the oscbutton generator is great I think I'll make some buttons that also resemble the design of the categories box.

--

Thank you Andrei - I'd missed that one!

I fixed the currencies box not showing on the product info pages btw.

Just got to fix a button in the header (changing contact us to about MPM) and fix up the shipping modules and it's ready to go (for now).

And add a disclaimer in the footer that we are not associated with the charities we support.

I also added a small information box on all pages and another brief description of what we are about on the index page.

--