• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

SSL required for paypal?

j0s3

i'm using paypal for my payments. do i need an ssl certificate on my oscommerce store?

at the moment, does this mean that the credit card details are being passed to paypal unsecured?

PS i've just installed the paypal_ipn module - i dont know whether that does any ecription (or how it works, to be honest)

thanks all!

jg

i'm using paypal for my payments. do i need an ssl certificate on my oscommerce store?

at the moment, does this mean that the credit card details are being passed to paypal unsecured?

PS i've just installed the paypal_ipn module - i dont know whether that does any ecription (or how it works, to be honest)

thanks all!

jg

With all PayPal payments, the customer will be transfered over to the PayPal website, which is already protected by SSL, unless your storing credit/debit card detaisl on you website, I would have to say you have no need to be spending extra money on something you dont need.

Hope this helps.

David

www.gamealot.co.uk

With all PayPal payments, the customer will be transfered over to the PayPal website, which is already protected by SSL, unless your storing credit/debit card detaisl on you website, I would have to say you have no need to be spending extra money on something you dont need.

Hope this helps.

David

www.gamealot.co.uk

it does help - thanks for the explanation

jg

But you should note that there are many people, such as myself, who won't shop at a website where at least the account portion is encrypted. The $100/year immediate savings might end up costing you much more in the long run. An SSL certificate shows your customers that you respect their privacy.

Please use the forums for support! I am happy to help you here, but I am unable to offer free technical support over instant messenger or e-mail.

thanks all!

jg

You need an ssl to protect your customers information. You can get them starting at $15/year. The cost is so low I can't imagine why anyone would risk losing one customer over not having one. And you will lose customers by not having one.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

You need an ssl to protect your customers information. You can get them starting at $15/year. The cost is so low I can't imagine why anyone would risk losing one customer over not having one. And you will lose customers by not having one.

Jack

What exactly would be protected by SSL, assuming the only credit card system used by your website is Paypal?

The only info sent to Paypal is the basket contents as far as I know. Please elaborate.

Read the forum rules...

• 1 month later...
i'm convinced

thanks for all those great points guys

:)

I'm going to be using paypal pro aswell. I believe i should get a cert to protect the privacy of the customers, where is the cheapest place i can get a cert..

Thanks

dave

Do a search on google for certificates. There are a number of places selling them at around $15/year. Just be sure it is a 128 bit certificate. Personally, I recommend godaddy's at $20. The service they offer makes the differnce for the additional few dollars. If you spend anything over $25, you are wasintg your money, in my opinion.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

Hi

I am looking into buying one of the godaddy SSL Certificates but just need a little guidance regarding its installation.

Can anybody give me a rough guide to this or point me in the direction?

Much appreciated.

Hi

I am looking into buying one of the godaddy SSL Certificates but just need a little guidance regarding its installation.

Can anybody give me a rough guide to this or point me in the direction?

Much appreciated.

You need to create a key and csr file for your site. Order the certificate and then select manage it on godaddy's site. You will be redirected to the ssl site where you will need to enter in the csr file you created (along with the information you used to create it). If you did that right, they will send you the certificate files (or a link to download them). Then you need to install the certificate into your control panel. Ideally, it is better if the host does this since apache should be restarted. Some hosts won't do it, don't know how to do it, will charge to do it or will just do it. And some won't allow a certificate at all. So you should check with them before you do anything regarding the ssl.

Jack

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

You need to create a key and csr file for your site. Order the certificate and then select manage it on godaddy's site. You will be redirected to the ssl site where you will need to enter in the csr file you created (along with the information you used to create it). If you did that right, they will send you the certificate files (or a link to download them). Then you need to install the certificate into your control panel. Ideally, it is better if the host does this since apache should be restarted. Some hosts won't do it, don't know how to do it, will charge to do it or will just do it. And some won't allow a certificate at all. So you should check with them before you do anything regarding the ssl.

Jack

Ok thanks I will do that and see how I get on. Hate having things that rely on the host.