• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OS 2.2 or w/templates by Oct?

I think some of the new would-be merchants would like to launch their site to catch the Christmas season but are holding back because the final release of 2.2 is not slated yet or that the template system isn't ready.

Is there any indication as to whether the templates system may be ready by say late Sept or early Oct? In this way we can all jump on to Osc and just do regular updates without worrying that the look and feel may change.

Thx a million!

Is there any indication as to whether the templates system may be ready by say late Sept or early Oct? In this way we can all jump on to Osc and just do regular updates without worrying that the look and feel may change.

Templates will be introduced after RC1 which we are working on finalising at the moment.

There is no dates set for when RC1 will be released but it's very unlikely that templates will be introduced in the timescales you need. :(

Mark Evans

osCommerce Monkey & Lead Guitarist for "Sparky + the Monkeys" (Album on sale in all good record shops)

---------------------------------------

Software is like sex: It's better when it's free. (Linus Torvalds)

oh :( guess I'll make do with the current snapshot and then update when the templates system is released.

Thanks for the great work anyway, it's definitely appreciated.

you cant eat your pie while cooking it can you.....might burn your mouth.

All things come with time and time will let us be able to make the project close to bug free....even though there is nothing in the world that is bug free...not even my neighbors house. But the project of OCS will be close to being bug free......

even though there is nothing in the world that is bug free

No - osCommerce is bug free. If theres a bug, its a feature - just like the store remembering your name when you logout :D

I wonder how many customers notified Amazon of this bug/feature on their systems :rolleyes:

:heart:, osCommerce

I would like to see the template hooks in place as soon as possible. Not sure what reasoning there is for waiting, but I know of reasons to do it sooner than later: sooner would allow users to work with the hooks to debug now. and it allow users to commit to the template engine they will use and build templates for it now. My thoughts are to allow the community to do what it can now instead of waiting on the developers then do what it can -- saving on unnecessarily wasted time.

I would like to see the template hooks in place as soon as possible. Not sure what reasoning there is for waiting

What sense does it make editing all the files when there are a lot of open tasks being currently worked on?

It would be better to use the same resources in finalizing the current open tasks so that the templates can be implemented sooner.

Someone has to finish off the dirty work before the fun stuff can begin again.

:heart:, osCommerce

You may have a couple of hundred 'users' standing idly by waiting on the 'finishing' work to be done before they can do one thing. These people are the ones that will put the 'hooks' feature to the test, and the ones that will cause bugs and design flaws to the surface faster than any. These couple a hundred people not working, while four or five are, is a poor percentage of the productive personnel base. As far as managing resources is concerned, doing what it takes to get the largest percentage of people working is what is most productive. Do you not consider users helpful?

Rather than we all sit here complaining ... money almost always speeds the development progress along :) $$.

I am sure that the development team -- who put all of their hard work and a whole slab of effort into osCommerce -- would take rather kindly to donations. Whilst i can't put my money where my mouth is (under 18 therefore no credit card, no credit card = no paypal, etc etc etc) -- but i do contribute to the development process by either helping with contributions, writing my own, or even just helping in the forums.

Personally, i don't really care how long the team take, as long as what they produce is a good solution. The company that i am working on osCommerce for is going to release with the standard interface (retaining all copyright of course) and then later re-contract me (or someone else, i am not bothered) to implement a customised interface with the template system.

Yes -- i am making money out of osCommerce, the GPL allows this. I am making customisations (and of course contributing them back) and i am providing support in terms of user-support. The company is full of technophobes, so modifying the code is not what they are worried about -- they just want to sell stuff, and i am helping with this.

It is indeed a hard one to ask

There are some developers working there butts off on these changes, whilst the users work to get the shops they create exactly how they want it.

With simple tweaking and creation of good images you can make oscommerce all you need and more.

A template system will help oscommerce immensly because it will bring more people to the project. While the main team work on the back end, the graphic/design gurus will work on the template system

If the template system is easy for all other people to customise it, and be able via the admin panel to download new templates as easily as it is in Winamp, then you have the ULTIMATE Commerce solution.

Alot of work, but that's what the project should be working towards.

I will be adding my part ( graphics/designs/etc). We need more people to help out!

Any volunteers? :?:

:D

As I have told before to the team... I'm only waiting for RC1 to be out so I can use my experience in templating systems and help in shapping that osCt version :D

For now I think that the code is still changing a bit and it's a little messy to fuss in without causing new bugs :wink:

Let's wait. For now I will use "Out of the Box" Snapshots with little mods in graphics and colors :( :P

8) Lopo

If I helped you, you can help others too.

Search Affero Network. Thanks :)

--

moving mentalities >> fast forward

Archived