• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Check this out!!

TENCENTS

I've been beating this Vanilla bush for a while now and nothing more has jumped out.

There's so much I could say in my defence (starting with the buttons), but I'd rather not waste time.

Here's the link...

NSD Powerball South Africa - Online Store

I've spent a lot of time under the hood and on the graphics, but not much on the original OSC layout (subtle wording changes mainly). I like the way it's all come together and I don't really want to mess with it too much.

Any comments/suggestions ?

Never underestimate the power of stupid people, especially in groups.

I've been beating this Vanilla bush for a while now and nothing more has jumped out.

There's so much I could say in my defence (starting with the buttons), but I'd rather not waste time.

Here's the link...

NSD Powerball South Africa - Online Store

I've spent a lot of time under the hood and on the graphics, but not much on the original OSC layout (subtle wording changes mainly). I like the way it's all come together and I don't really want to mess with it too much.

Any comments/suggestions ?

Gday,

I agree, You have to add the SSL and the certificate on the page.

Try and make the Categories box stand out a little more, as this is your gateway to all your products.

(may that be inlarging your font size or font )

Maybe a bigger header for your company also

twice the size of it currently would make your brand and your name stand out much more

When i get on the page, Im like what the hell is this stuff?

In your header dont make small comments stating " The earths most powerful hand gyro "

you need to really mean what you say

make a big logo, or make that writing like 3 to 4 times bigger.

if you had that written there i would be like .. ohh cool hand gyros..

remember first impressions last.. it only takes a second for someone to log on

and less than a second for someone to change websites.. so keep them interested.

Customers look for these things also :

1. Business phone numbers (or phone orders)

2. Company address's

3. Company Business registration Numbers

4. SSL Certificate IDS

your site is looking good, but add those extra touches.. and bingo you got it

i wish you luck in the future

greg.

Whoa, you send the customer away from your site on the index page?!

Bad, bad, bad idea.

NEVER link to another site for "more information" from an ecommerce site. The chance that they might actually come back is slim to none. Take the information from the powerball site, rewrite it, and put it on yours.

My advice comes in two flavors- Pick the one that won't offend you.

Hard and Cynical: How to Make a Horrible osCommerce Site

Warm and Fuzzy: How to Make an Awesome osCommerce Site

• 2 weeks later...

I looked around your site and I still have NO IDEA what a powerball is. I did find out the answer on the "other" site and then didn't go back to yours. Take Chance's advice and put the info on your site.

LOL I too have no idea what a powerball is, but it looks like fun to throw one really hard and destroy stuff with it.

I really like your layout, how did you manage to get the content to have a white background surrounded by a border, so that there is a different color background around it? Are you using a template system like BTS or STS?

Also you might want to add a few information pages about what they are used for. :)

Thanks!

Excellent!! - thanks for the feedback people. I haven't been back here for a little while.

I'll be sure to go over every detail - but for now - thanks a mill.

The dreaded SSL expense !!! - I suppose when it's divided by 12 it doesn't look so bad.

:thumbsup:

LOL I too have no idea what a powerball is, but it looks like fun to throw one really hard and destroy stuff with it.

I really like your layout, how did you manage to get the content to have a white background surrounded by a border, so that there is a different color background around it? Are you using a template system like BTS or STS?

Also you might want to add a few information pages about what they are used for. :)

Thanks!

Thanks for your comments - points taken !! :)

Your question regarding the color scheme. I'm not using any templates or managers for that matter. I wanted my site fixed width and centered and I found the answer on this forum, which at one point I had to change my stylesheet to look like this:

.fixcenter {

width: 758px;

border: solid; border-width: 1px; - the border (must be set to 1px, otherwise it's invisible)

background: #f0f0ff; - screen background (around the form/content)

color: #000066; - the color of the border is determined by this.

margin: auto;

margin-top: 20px;

text-align: left;

}[/color]

Which basically left me with the effect and then all I had to do was tweak the colors.

I cannot remember what the contrib link was but the title was "fixed width with CSS". Just shout of you cannot find it - I have the original on my drive which I could email to you, just a few bytes really.

It's an interesting product. i like the fact that they are so light they will be easy to ship and, as you say, good for rehabilitation. Worth explaining a bit more about powerballs though I have never come across them before. Most people just seem to use weights but my taiji master suggested using balls. Is there a dvd that teaches you what to do? How about fixing the spelling mistake in your header 'powerfull'.

It's an interesting product. i like the fact that they are so light they will be easy to ship and, as you say, good for rehabilitation. Worth explaining a bit more about powerballs though I have never come across them before. Most people just seem to use weights but my taiji master suggested using balls. Is there a dvd that teaches you what to do? How about fixing the spelling mistake in your header 'powerfull'.

Thanks for spotting that one :) - I've just finished uploading the correction.

I haven't seen any tutorial videos yet, apart from how to start the Powerball. I will be producing some of my own videos for the site in the future, like very soon !!

I'm just trying to figure out how to revamp my front page - I think the 'we are...blah blah blah' message that I've got up there now should be on an 'About Us' page, and that the front page should be dedicated to the product itself with little attention grabbers (bait) for potential customers.

My initial strategy was to have OSC purely as my shopfront, with something like Joomla or Mambo (sorry! - my bad or what ?) to handle the CMS. I've been around the block a few times and I'm amazed by what people have managed to do with OSC. Suffice to say that I'll be working towards making my OSC site a whole lot more comprehensive, as per much of the suggestions I'm getting here.

• 7 months later...

Okay, I've slapped this thing around long enough now. 65 Mods and 8 months later and this is where I'm at - a far cry since my first "please review me".

One of the last mods I patched in was the infobox skin manager - oh boy!! how do you explain going with some defaults and then bragging about the results - well some tweaking of defaults was necessary, and the product graphics do a trick too I think.

It's not SSL... but I admit that lately when submitting my personal details on the www I like to see the telltale signs of security - so this is imminent, bundled with credit card facilties.

I admit there is still work to be done (the dreaded 'paperwork'), but I just like the way it looks for the moment and thought it would be a nice look-see for all and to maybe dodge a few bullets (i.e. positive critisism).

www.nsdpowerball.co.za/shop

TENCENTS

:)

I hate to have to be the one to say this to you after all your hard efforts but your layout is well screwed in firefox

Sorry

Mark

Damn... I knew there was something.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Looks good in my firefox, you musta fixed it!

I would like to see a muscled model working out with a powerball on the home page.... never underestimate the power of good-looking chicks/guys on a sites home page.

john

midwesttent.com

Well the right hand column is half outside the fixed width design on Firefox.

Mostly the design looks really good but I am afraid I dislike those brash turquoise, yellow orange and grey left and right columns with all the blocky capitals and boxes. Seems out of character with the smoother look of the rest of the site. Probably be a lot better without the turquoise. They are so large there is little space left on the page for product descriptions.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes I did fix the firefox issue when it was spotted (thanks Mark) - the stylesheet settings 'background attachment' was set to fixed. Strange that IE misinterpreted that *perfectly* as a scroll.

I'll spend some more time on it today ... thanks for the comments so far, they'll all be taken into consideration.

:thumbsup:

Archived