• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

UK Gadget Store

Lowey81

Hey Craig,

I am confused. You say here that:

we have achieved a 3-4% conversion of vistors who actually start the checkout process,
and then you say
Of the people who add products to their shopping cart we are seeing a 60-70% completion

So does this mean that after implimenting those changes to the landing page - that search campaign is getting a 3-4% conversion rate? And does this mean that your shopping cart abandonment rate is 70%, the average (or were you serious about saying it is 30%)?

The site does look a lot better now though. Personally, I still think your add to cart button can be improved to encourage more purchases. Things are a little too clutered also; but I don't feel like elaborating at the moment.

Don't underestimate though the difference a small change can have on your conversion rate. Want proof? Checkout the simple changes that led to a 40% boost in sales on these before and after pages. And while on the topic of academics, I recommend reading this article on landing pages.

I recommend spending some serious time on your copy and layout. Perhaps I will be able to offer some further suggestions to improving your conversion rate down the line, once you have made these changes. But for now, good luck with the changes.

Best regards,

Victor

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

In the past we have experienced 3-4% of people who click the 'add to cart buttons' over an extended period of time, 60% of which have completed the cart process.

I don't know how this compares with the averages, but for our Google Adwords campaign this is what we have achieved. I still think the overall conversion stats are low compared to what we expected. Our products aren't the most expensive in the world making the ROI relatively poor.

To make it worth our while we need to increase the conversion ratio, maybe we should be targeting a broader range of searches reulting in a higher % of 'add to carts' but a smaller completion ration? It's a question of quantity over quality (with regards to our visitors).

Of course, we hope to make the money on repeat custom/word of mouth after receiving a successful conversion so perhaps breaking-even on Adwords is acceptable?

Thanks for all your help, I agree the site looks a bit clustered, we have thought about removing the right column to give the site 'room to breath!'.

Your FAQs link seems to go to a page called Condition of Use rather than FAQS and you have spelt Returns incorrectly on this page. Also, I find that the different fonts are off putting.

When switching from http to https I keep getting a Security Warning Pop Up Box - "This page contains both secure and insecure items" .... and so on.

Not bad though :)

Your FAQs link seems to go to a page called Condition of Use rather than FAQS and you have spelt Returns incorrectly on this page. Also, I find that the different fonts are off putting.

When switching from http to https I keep getting a Security Warning Pop Up Box - "This page contains both secure and insecure items" .... and so on.

Not bad though :)

I have made the alterations to include the FAQ page correctly - thanks for pointing that out! I used includes for the header and one of them showed a different (older) header than the other pages(?)

Not sure what causes the Security Warning Box, but hopefully this doesn't occur on pages where customers are entering data and it certainly doesn't happen on the payment pages.

Thanks to everyone for their feedback, unfortunately the conversion ratio hasn't been affected yet, but your advice has helped improve the site anyway. Maybe the products we're selling just aren't that popular online at the moment? Even products we sell lots of via traditional retail just aren't selling in the quantities expected

Hey Craig,

One atypical design aspect of your landing pages is that your 'add to cart' button is right next to your headline. According to MarketingSherpa's Eyetracking Landing Page Study Results, this hurts conversions.

When you place your call to action right next to your headline, visitor's are less likely to read your headline since their eyes are drawn to your 'add to cart' button. So even though you have highly relevant headlines - few are actually reading them.

To correct this problem, I recommend this change:

location-of-button.jpg

Best Regards,

Victor Wise

• 3 weeks later...

I would be interested to hear some more feedback on this site I designed for UK Gadget Store using OSC - what do you like, what don't you like. Thanks to everyone who has left feedback so far, I trust that it has helped develop the site into a more user-friendly, efficient site.

I know this is a web-design forum, but I would also like feedback on our products if you have the time. Which products do you like, which don't you? It's strange that some of our bestselling offline products don't seem to sell themselves online. Possibly related to postage fees and convenience (some items just aren't suited to online sales).

Our prices are slightly lower online than they are offline, especially with the frequesnt promotions/specials that we run on the site, however, most of the savings are replaced by the additional postage fee of shopping online. Still a little worried about the conversion rate for certain products, I am fairly happy with the layout though.

Visit The Website

Nice looking site.

A few things i noticed. On your create account page if you only deliver to the UK why do you noy have UK as the country listed in the country select box. I am sure that would be better. Also alter the address layout to match that of the UK postal address.

On your advanced search page you still have the silly oscommerce cartoonish image. remove it to match the rest of your site. Same with your specials page.

Your site security box needs a space above the geotrust image.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

This store has been around for some time now - so why have you only got a google ranking of 1 for your homepage and no ranking at all for other pages?

Why do SEO URL's work on the homepage but not on other pages?

Why do you have http content on https pages which throws up "Secure/Insecure" warnings on https pages?

The site itself looks good, within the context of retaining an osCommerce look and feel, but SEO and SSL issues need to be addressed urgently.

Vger

Thank you for two very good responses, I feel like you may have located a problem with the site and recommended some good alterations.

This store has been around for some time now - so why have you only got a google ranking of 1 for your homepage and no ranking at all for other pages?

It has been around for a while supporting our offline sales but we have only recently started promoting the site online, as oppose to just referring existing customers/local people to the site. Hopefully the page rank will start to increase now that we appear higher in Google searches etc. We lack links to our site which is why the page rank is low, hopefully our new affiliate scheme will help attract links.

Why do SEO URL's work on the homepage but not on other pages?

Good question! Our homepage isn't dynamically created so all the links are typed in. The other links appear in their original format when you view the source or hover over a link, however, the actual pages show SEO URL's. I wasn't aware that this wasn't standard - any ideas how to make the required adjustments? PS Google etc seem to list the pages with SEO URL's albeit as supplemental results (something which is frustrating us and probably greatly affecting the number of hits we receive. Not sure what to do to upgrade the listings to standard though - it seems to be one of Google's secrets(!)

Why do you have http content on https pages which throws up "Secure/Insecure" warnings on https pages?

This is something that seems to affect some people, probably using earlier versions of Internet Explorer. I myself haven't had the pop-up whilst on the site but have had questions regarding it before. What sort of content will it relate to? Presumably some images or similar? Maybe the php includes - are they affected? How do I a) diagnose what's causing the error and b go about fixing it?

The site itself looks good, within the context of retaining an osCommerce look and feel, but SEO and SSL issues need to be addressed urgently.

Thank you for your feedback as mentoned you raise some valuable/valid points along with the previous post by 14steve14.

The address issue, security box and stock images is something we will sort out first thing on Monday.

I'm sure these changes will only help to further enhance our site in the quest of higher hits/conversions.

Many thanks for taking the time to look at our site and post your comments - very much appreciated. If you could suggest how to implement some of the changes above that would be superb,

The open padlock issue on login.php is caused by the script call to google analytics. You have the call twice (at the top of a page to the correct https address) and at the bottom with the incorrect call to http. Just take it out at the bottom and you should be fine. Or rather move the call from the top to the bottom as this slows pageload down when the google server is slow.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Feedback and suggestions on my shop welcome.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

Thanks abra,

We've fixed this issue now. The Google Analytics could've had something to do with it but we noticed the error still existed after correcting the javascript function. This led us to realise it was being caused by some 'arrow' images that were being called from the http url.

Thanks for your help. One thing I noticed when searching for the Google Analytics code was that a lot of our header information appears twice whenever the STS_Template is used. It's like the <head> info is being called twice but I can't find out where from, any ideas?

The google analytics code certainly had something to do with it. I searched like mad when I had the problem with my own shop - and found out this was the cause.

Can't help you with the STS issues as I'm not using any kind of template.

abra

The First Law of E-Commerce: If the user can't find the product, the user can't buy the product.

Note: My advice is based on my own experience or on something I read in these forums. No guarantee it'll work for you! Make sure that you always BACKUP the database and the files you are going to change so that you can rollback to a working version if things go wrong.

The google analytics code certainly had something to do with it. I searched like mad when I had the problem with my own shop - and found out this was the cause.

Can't help you with the STS issues as I'm not using any kind of template.

abra

Good to know you share information within the boards, I read many posts where somebody has fixed their own problem but don't bother telling anyone how!

Thanks for your help.

You are right. I think I even made a new topic in the general forum about how to get SSL to work on all pages where it is required and how to fix this very common google analytics script thing that throws up the open padlock.

It would be good if people came back to their own request for help and just tell if the problem is fixed with the advice given or if they did something else to fix it.

abra

• 2 weeks later...

Just looking at the home page I can say it looks nice.... but you already know that. You want sales. One thing I've read frequently is not to give a prospect choices that take them away from a sale. So, I'd move the Affiliate link out of the box and place it on the footer line. I'd remove the Dropshipper link entirely (you're advertising for your dropshipper?)

The phone number in the right column is hard to read and the site security, in a box to itself, is distracting.

Looking in the FAQ, I see:

Do you offer FREE DELIVERY?

YES! We currently have free delivery for orders over £49.99.

I didn't notice that on the home page. Perhaps highlight it there?

On the advanced search page, you only have "all manufacturers" in the choice. If there's only one it should be removed from criteria.

I hope this is helpful. I look forward to someone reviewing my site.

Cheers

Archived