• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Best CVS client for Mac

I am looking at MacCVSPro (from the netscape folks) but wonder if there are any other Mac users out there (I know Linda MacGrath isn't) who have had success with a Mac CVS client working with the OSC CVS.

I am looking at MacCVSPro (from the netscape folks) but wonder if there are any other Mac users out there (I know Linda MacGrath isn't) who have had success with a Mac CVS client working with the OSC CVS.

I heard that :shock:

*cough*PCs Rule*cough* :wink:

Hi William,

I do all my osCommerce development on Mac OS X, and I can tell you firsthand that staying up-to-date with the latest 2.2 CVS version has been quite easy. It took me a bit of time to figure out how CVS works, but assuming you're using OS X, the following steps should get you started.

* Find a suitable place for your site development (i.e., ~/Sites/) and then launch Terminal.app

* Navigate to above directory ("cd ~/Sites/")

* Type the following line and then return. Hit return again when asked for password:

cvs -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/tep login

* Type the following line and hit return to grab the latest CVS version and copy it to the above directory:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/tep checkout catalog

* Decide where you want the admin module, and then type:

cvs -z3 -d:pserver:[email protected]:/cvsroot/tep checkout admin

* Whenever you decide you want to update to the latest version (I suggest backing up your existing files first!), navigate to "~/Sites/catalog" and/or "~/Sites/admin" and then type "cvs update" in the Terminal.

* And finally, don't forget to remind the peanut gallery (you know who you are) that you're using an operating system that has all the power of UNIX humming along underneath the intuitive Mac interface, and that you wouldn't trade it for Redmond bit-rot if they paid you. :P

Sometime in the coming weeks/months, I'm going to write an OSC how-to manual for Mac OS X developers. I'll post a link here in the OSC forums when it's up.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any trouble.

Justin

Justin,

Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize that a local CVS client was unnecessary and that all the work was done from the sourceforge server. In that situation it doesn't matter what operating system you are using.

Bill

Archived