• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Google Sitemap Contribution

Leibtek

Hi All,

I recently installed Chemo's Ultimate SEO URL's contribution, which I think works fine, although I have a question about that (see below). I have just finished installing the Google XML Sitemap W/ Admin contribution.

1. The xml files generated, still have the old default url's not the SEO url's.

2. I noticed when watching google's bot (with Who's Online Enhanced) that the url's it is accessing is slightly different than a visitor's. A visiter's url would look like this "/diamond-cross-pendant-p-229.html" and Google's Bot's url for the same page would look like this "/diamond-cross-pendant-p-229%5C%5C%5C%5C%5C%5C%5C%22%5C%22%22%22". They both get me to the same page, but Google will get turned off with such an url.

3. I read alot here on the forums about a "header tag contribution". I would like to know how necessary it is. and which contribution to use.

Any Suggestions?

Thank You,

Leibtek

1 - What version of Ultimate SEO are you using? I have tested the On-The-Fly version so that might happen with it.

2 - I don't use Who's Online so I don't what that might be about. Check your links with AWStats (in CPanel if your host has it) and see if the links are that way there.

3 - The very first thing a search engine looks at when it visits your site is the title. It uses what it finds there to help determine what the contents of the page are for. Each page of your shop should have a unique title. That's what Header Tags does (along with other things). Which meta tag contribution you use is a matter of choice. Header Tags is the most SE optimized but others still prefer to use some of the other meta tags contributions. No matter which one you prefer, you should install one. You won't get very far with the search engines if you don't.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

1 - What version of Ultimate SEO are you using? I have tested the On-The-Fly version so that might happen with it.

The latest one created on Oct 22, 2006

2 - I don't use Who's Online so I don't what that might be about. Check your links with AWStats (in CPanel if your host has it) and see if the links are that way there.

I looked at my Cpanel status, but I couldn't find any SEO url's in there...

3 - The very first thing a search engine looks at when it visits your site is the title. It uses what it finds there to help determine what the contents of the page are for. Each page of your shop should have a unique title. That's what Header Tags does (along with other things). Which meta tag contribution you use is a matter of choice. Header Tags is the most SE optimized but others still prefer to use some of the other meta tags contributions. No matter which one you prefer, you should install one. You won't get very far with the search engines if you don't.

Thanks for educating me on that, I will get to work on that right away. I understood that I should use the "Header Tag Controller" contribution.

Thank You for the reply,

Leibtek