• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Release dates...

Hi ya'll,

This is a very general question hense why it's here...

Does anyonw have any idea of the release time envolved with V3 of OsC. As I understand, 2.2 is still in dev, and the next release will be 3!?

Am I completely wonrg, or is that how it is? I would like to use Osc On our website, but 2.1 is lacking some of the things that would make me choose it. Saying that, I checked out the latest snapshot of 2.2 and you guys have all made and contributed some great features. I'm now sure it's the solution for me.

But do I install 2.1 and then upgrade to 3 on release, or is there going to be a stable release of 2.2 soon??

Please help.

Cheers,

Craig (UK)

I highly recommend installing 2.2 instead of 2.1.

I have been running a live shop on it for several weeks now, and I have not encountered any bugs.

It is a little more difficult to upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2. The 2.2 installation program has a feature that let you do this, but I didn't have any success with it and had to start over from scratch, and moanually 'massage' my previous data to load into the new database table structures.

2.2 is very stable, imo.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

>>Wizardsandwars,

Thanks for the info, I've used both 2.1 and 2.2 and I agree that 2.2 is sooo much better, and easier to understand. I too don't want to have the issue of "massaging" my data into a new structure.

My only issue is that there are still bugs in the release, and although it's still stable, my shop has to be fully functional from GO! otherwise we'll loose to the competition who have shops that work.

Not the OsC doesn't.!! :oops: :D

Any other thoughts, ANYONE??

Cheers,

C

Craig,

Like I said, I've been open for a few weeks now and I've processed around 300 orders.

I have yet to find a bug.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Any other thoughts, ANYONE??

There is no such thing as bug-free software.

What software do your competitors use? Can they modify the sources if they want to? Can they ask a great community that tries to help without getting money for it?

If you find bugs - report them. A general statement like "osC has bugs" is irrelevant and is of no help for us developers.

If you compare osCommerce with other solutions you might notice that you save quite a lot of money. If you invest a bit of that money you saved in paying a skilled PHP-developer to fix bugs you have spotted and add functionality you need (and share these sources with the rest of the community ofcourse) you will end up with a perfect solution and you have shown that you are a true member of the community ;-)

You can't have everything. That's why trains have difficulty crossing oceans, and hippos did not adapt to fly. -- from the OpenBSD mailinglist.

I don't want to be rude. My statements need quallifying:

I know that saying "OsC has Bugs" is no good to developers, I know where and how to report bugs. I have solved many "Issues" that I had when I installed 2.2 myself. So maybe I should have said, "I have had ISSUES with my OsC installations." and as we all know, there is no point in reporting everything that doesn't work immediately without researching to find out if anyone else has these issues, and has resolved them!

As it happens, my experiences have allready helped a number of people in the community who were experiencing the same ISSUES as I was.

And, yes the nature of open source allow us all to implement and change the code to help the community and also to customise the system for ourselves.

BUG FREE SOFTWARE: yes agreed that there is no such thing. I was hoping to get positive feedback about the differences between using 2.1 and 2.2 or waiting for the next full release. In no way am I insulting the product, as I am a OpenSource Community man myself!

SO, back to the main QUESTION! Do I go live with 2.1 or 2.1 or do I wait for 3.0?

Cheers,

C

The general opinion here seems to be: Use 2.2

Decide if the current snapshot offers the functionality you need and if it is so - use it.

There is no need to really integrate each and every little change that is added. If the current snapshot fits your needs - fine.

If you are missing features and know they are coming soon you could decide to wait. Or program them yourselves or by a contracted developer.

The basic functionality of osCommerce is stable IMHO. Some of the more esoteric features might not be needed at all in your current scenario - that's up to you to decide.

HTH

You can't have everything. That's why trains have difficulty crossing oceans, and hippos did not adapt to fly. -- from the OpenBSD mailinglist.

Archived