• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal IPN?

Paul_C

I see that the IPN Result is INVALID, however payment status is Completed, which would explain that we got this far but no further. The next question I guess is what's next.

The posibilities are:

1) IPN_Result=VERIFIED payment_status=Completed

2) IPN_Result=VERIFIED payment_status=Pending

3) IPN_Result=VERIFIED payment_status=Failed

4) IPN_Result=VERIFIED payment_status=Denied

5) IPN_Result=INVALID payment_status=Completed

You have the number 5, so it does not matter that the payment_status is (it always be COMPLETED), because ALL the transaction is INVALID.

Also, the Num_Cart_Items field says 0... is this PayPal returning this or is it OSC checking that the cart has been emptied?

Num_Cart_Items appears always as 0, because it has not relation with the items numbers of the order.

Invoice field also appears empty because it neither has relation with the order.

Those are just PayPal fields, that the module is not using.

The IPN Result is INVALID yet Payment Status is COMPLETE. The text if you do hit the continue gives a "Your payment failed" notice, which is actually untrue. The payment does work, it is the checkout that failed.

The "Your payment has failed" notice is TRUE.

All the transaction has worked(I mean, the payment module has worked fine, it has received the notification from PayPal)... but the payment has received an status of INVALID from PayPal, so the user should receive a notice telling him that his payment has failed.

Also, is there a way to add the no_shipping=1. I am pretty sure I could add this, but do you know if it is not an acceptable field? I don't want PayPal to ask for shipping when I already have in the checkout process

By now, you should left the shipping as it is. The script sends the order_amount and the shipping_amount separated, so PayPal manages the shipping.

In a future release of the module, you will be able to choice between send the shipping_amount included in the order_amount, or keep them separated.

I hope it helps!

Best regards

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pablo ... firstly i have to say well done .....this mod is excellent.

I am wondering if you have any details on the new multi currency feature that PayPal is about to implement?

I would assume that when it begins the mod will need to be edited to suit.

do you have any details?

Hi Steve!

Thanks! I am glad you make use of the module

The Multi Currency feature from PayPal will start working since Octuber 9th I think.

Of course I will had that new feature (or at least I will try :?).

I think that will avoid the problem for users that do not have USD currency active in their systems, that makes the amount appear as $0.

Best regards!

Good afternoon Pablo!

Thanks for getting back to me. I have been playing around with this thing all morning again. I am sure it is something simple I have done wrong! This is what is so frustrating!

The "Your payment has failed" notice is TRUE.

All the transaction has worked(I mean, the payment module has worked fine, it has received the notification from PayPal)... but the payment has received an status of INVALID from PayPal, so the user should receive a notice telling him that his payment has failed.

This statement is actually not the case for me. Yes, the transaction status is invalid, but I do get the payment notification. The buyer (in my case me as I test) also receives the "You have made a payment" email. So it is working but only up to a point. The checking out part never gets completed. When I return to my catalog my cart still has the items in it!

I have played with permissions on the notify file and I have set them all to 777. Not sure if this is correct but I don't think it is wrong/risk.

I also reinstalled the database tables/sql, and all the files in the contrib. I am using v.90.

I also changed the cURL option to 0, tested and failed, then changed back to 1. It says it was detected so I am going to assume it is correct at 1.

Well, hope this information gives a better picture of maybe something that I did wrong! I would be more than happy to not accept payment (Process Refund) if you wannt to give it a go on the site. I could also set up a "Test Item" at .01 if you want.

BTW - do you know if PayPAl has some test account so I don't keep having to charge myself then refund it?

Thanks Again!

Kevin

Hi Kevin!

This statement is actually not the case for me. Yes, the transaction status is invalid, but I do get the payment notification. The buyer (in my case me as I test) also receives the "You have made a payment" email. So it is working but only up to a point. The checking out part never gets completed. When I return to my catalog my cart still has the items in it!

Your cart has still the items, because the payment has not been made.

When the order gets completed, your cart will be emptied :)

By the way, all the system is working to you

Maybe you should make a test with a VALID payment, so you will see how it all works :)

Well, hope this information gives a better picture of maybe something that I did wrong! I would be more than happy to not accept payment (Process Refund) if you wannt to give it a go on the site. I could also set up a "Test Item" at .01 if you want

Ok

Set up a test item in $0.1 (instead of $0.01) and I will try it with my account.

BTW - do you know if PayPAl has some test account so I don't keep having to charge myself then refund it?

No

The only way you can make tests is creating a new personal account (for that you will need a different credit card that the one you have in your main account) and then do the payments with that new account (later you should do the refunds).

Tell me when you set up that test product and I will test it

Best regards

Hey Pablo!

The Test Item for $.1 is there. There is also a free shipping option.

Your cart has still the items, because the payment has not been made.

When the order gets completed, your cart will be emptied

By the way, all the system is working to you

Maybe you should make a test with a VALID payment, so you will see how it all works

Again, I am making the payment! They are not "Test" payments. It really is going through... it just isn't completeing the sale in OSC for some reason.

Thank you so much for the help. I will process the refund as soon as I see it.

For the benefit of the group I just wanted to post the cause/solution to the IPN problem I was having;

I had an apostrophy (') in the Store_Name which PayPal seemed to choke on. Pablo made the change to my store name and it now seems to work beautifully! If you are experiencing problems with PayPal accepting payment, but not processing the transaction on the cart end, be sure to cross this potential problem off the list!

Thanks again Pablo!

Kinda a question but:

What is this PayPal IPN Payment Module for?

Is it to notify the seller of a order?

2 more:

Does this mod checkout properly where as the total order with shipping, tax and item price are processed when taken to the Pay Pal site?

Should i use this mod or stick with the default one that came with the mid september snapshot?

Thanks

Illicious,

I got an email from someone saying that they had placed an order, yet I was never notified, nor did my OSC admin have any orders pending. They paid with PayPal, and sure enough, I had money waiting. The problem was that I didn't know what they wanted to purchase because they didn't hit the "Continue" button in PayPal. I understand this to be a common occurance.

The PayPal IPN solves that problem by completeing the order via a post to your OSC cart at the same time it accepts the payment. They don't have to hit the "Coninue" button for your order to be processed.

HTH

Kevin

Illicious,

Does this mod checkout properly where as the total order with shipping, tax and item price are processed when taken to the Pay Pal site?

How I got around the shipping problem was I turned off shipping from PayPal. This is just adding the attribute no_shipping=1 to the redirect in checkout_paypalipn.php in the catalog directory. This has solved my problem because I didn't want paypal to do anything except process credit card transactions.

The only problem I found with this mod is that if you order something and make it to the paypal screen, but don't hit the Pay button, your inventory gets decremented. This is more of a nuisance than a major problem and I need to relocate the decrement to the async program (paypal_notify.php).

As far as should you switch over to use this code... I've been through every bit of the code and am impressed with the thoroughness. Pablo has done an excellent job (and I don't say that about too many people). He has also been very responsive for addressing problems in this forum. So, the decision is yours, but I understand that future versions of OSC may contain IPN logic.

Thanks...

Joe.

Hi Joe

Today I will upload a new release of the contrib in which the main addition will be the option to include the Shipping amount in the Order Total Amount.

I hope you can give it a try and tell me if it works fine and if it is what you needed.

Best regards!

Was just about to post if i should use this mod or not cus the mod says:

This is BETA code and should not be used on a production site until you have tested it to your satisfaction.

I was wondering something like that too thoe.

I made a test purchase and clicked continue in paypal but i dont have the order in my admin orders database.

Maybe this is cus i havent fully gone thru with the order up to hitting the submit button at the Payment Details screen

If with this mod (if recommended to use) your order gets inserted in your admin orders section then i think i will try it out since its a great feature to have.

joej said:

How I got around the shipping problem was I turned off shipping from PayPal. This is just adding the attribute no_shipping=1 to the redirect in checkout_paypalipn.php in the catalog directory. This has solved my problem because I didn't want paypal to do anything except process credit card transactions.

Shipping from pay pal? This is with the IPN mod i assume so then yes i will choose disable pay pal shipping also if i use this mod. Total order amount payment with everything is sent to pay pal checkout/continue just fine snd shipping is taken care of the store owner or whoever else.

The only problem I found with this mod is that if you order something and make it to the paypal screen, but don't hit the Pay button, your inventory gets decremented. This is more of a nuisance than a major problem and I need to relocate the decrement to the async program (paypal_notify.php).

Not sure what ya mean but i think your talking about when a order takes you to the paypal screen that isnt fully processed then your order is still shown as an order in your store?

Then you have to look for the order of the item in your store and at paypal too?

Ide like to know one thing that im still a lil confused about.

With the current default paypal module in osC:

Does an fully paid and proccessed order with paypal show up as a pending order in your admin orders section?

If yes then where is the problem with a customer not hitting continue if the order has not been added to you pending orders and not paid in paypal?

If no then when a order is fully proccessed in paypal does it show up as a pending order in your store?

Thanks

Hi Pablo!

Could you give me a little info on what you did? I thought that PayPal could not handle the shipping portion; that is why I turned it off. Did you find something in the paypal specs that allow Shipping to be handled properly?

Thanks...

Joe.

Could you give me a little info on what you did? I thought that PayPal could not handle the shipping portion; that is why I turned it off. Did you find something in the paypal specs that allow Shipping to be handled properly?

Hi Joe

The only thing PayPal does with the shipping, is take the amount as a separate value, so the client can identify between the order amount and the shipping amount.

Some users does not like that PayPal in the first screen (where the user logs in) shows only the Order Amount, and the shipping amount is not showed until the user insert his username and password.

So what I added is an option with which the first PayPal screen shows the OrderAmount+ShippingAmount (when the user logs in, he will see shipping as $0).

Just an option, those that dont like it should leave it as false.

I thought using the Paypal IPN meant that nothing get's processed until you get an OK from Paypal. Meaning your inventory should only be effected if the order goes through, right?

Eagerly awaiting 2.2

Ok i just got this email from PayPal....re the new currency system and IPN changes...

Dear PayPal Member,

We wanted to notify you about upcoming modifications to our Instant

Payment Notification (IPN) product. You received this email because

you may have previously used this product.

On October 9, 2002, you will have the option to receive payments in

Euros and Pounds Sterling in addition to U.S. Dollars. The Multiple

Currencies feature will initially be available through the Send

Money and Request Money tabs on the PayPal website but not in the

Web Accept suite of products, which includes all PayPal payment

buttons for Instant Purchase, Single Item Purchase, PayPal Shopping

Cart, and PayPal Subscriptions. We plan to extend Multiple

Currencies to Web Accept products by the end of November.

If you only accept Web Accept payments, no changes are required at

this time. If you accept payments through the Send Money and

Request Money tabs on the PayPal website, and if you elect to

receive payment in Pounds Sterling or Euro (through your Payment

Receiving Preferences in your Profile), please note the following.

For Send Money payments in Euros or Pounds, IPN variables will be

modified in these ways:

Existing IPN variables

payment_gross = No value if payment EUR or GBP. Amount of payment

if USD.

payment_fee = No value if payment EUR or GBP. Amount of payment if

USD.

mc_gross = Amount of payment, regardless of currency.

mc_fee = Fee of payment, regardless of currency.

mc_currency = Currency of payment (USD, EUR, GBP)

New IPN variables (only appear if payment is converted)

settle_amount = Amount settled into your account's primary balance,

if you choose to convert the payment to the currency of your primary

balance.

settle_currency = Currency of settle_amount.

exchange_rate = Exchange rate used for settle_amount conversion.

For more information about these variables and how they will

function, please visit the IPN Solutions area at

http://www.paypal.com/ipn/. If you are a developer, we invite you

to visit the PayPal Developer Network area at

http://www.paypal.com/pdn/.

Sincerely,

The PayPal IPN Team

Is it with this paypal modification possible to see the amount in Euro's instead of Dollars?

And also is it possible to see the PayPal page in the Dutch or other then english language?

Pablo....Thanks a million for this contribution!

Thats better than not getting an order at all - i think.

Let me see if i got this correct.

User confirms order and proceeds to paypal screen but even without paying the order is sent thru - thus an order pending?

This is better for me cus if an order was paid and not placed in my store as an order pending then i have no idea on how to track down that order from who or for what let alone scan the database and manually alter it.

Great mod i say as pending orders would maybe create duplicate orders but would actually go thru which saves the pain task of finding an order.

Just installed the paypalipn_v091 and will test out.

The PayPal website is temporarily unavailable due to maintenance.

It will be available again at approximately 2:30 AM Pacific Time.  

We apologize for any inconvenience.

F***. Ok gotta wait.

Anyone know when do orders get added as pending when going to the paypal screen?

1rst screen or do they have to login then after?

Hi

Sorry for not write since many days, but I was really busy

I am finishing a new update to the contrib to fix that problems some users have with the stock being updated even when the order is not paid.

Now you will be able to select if you want it to work this way, or just update the stock when the order is payed.

I think I will be uploading this today or tomorrow

best regards

Hey guys, i gotta quick question about the paypal ipn.. as simple as it may be.. whats the ipn url suposed to be? ya know in your paypal profile when you are setting it up, theres the place for the url for paypal to notify the server, "the cart" as it my be. but where exactly should it point..

Hey guys,  i gotta quick question about the paypal ipn..      as simple as it may be..    whats the ipn url suposed to be?   ya know in your paypal profile when you are setting it up,   theres the place for the url for paypal to notify the server, "the cart" as it my be.    but where exactly should it point..

It should point to the location of the script that will process your transactions.

If you are using the PayPal IPN Payment Module, it should point to the location of the paypal_notify.php file

best regards

hi osmisis,

first of all thanks for writing this mod.

however i did run into a couple problems:

1) transaction was VERIFIED and COMPLETED, but the order email didn't send and

2) order status didn't update to the chosen one, in my case it's 1- Pending

i'm running the latest snapshot and PayPal IPN 0.91

thanks!

hi osmisis,

first of all thanks for writing this mod.

however i did run into a couple problems:

1) transaction was VERIFIED and COMPLETED, but the order email didn't send and

2) order status didn't update to the chosen one, in my case it's 1- Pending

i'm running the latest snapshot and PayPal IPN 0.91

thanks!

it was a bug and i fixed it!

in catalog/paypal_notify.php line 142,

it should be

'old_value' => 99999, (without quotation marks)

instead of

'old_value' => '99999',

the scripts abnormally terminated here without registering the proper order status and sending confirmation e-mails, everything okay now :D