• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal IPN?

Paul_C

The PayPal IPN module was submitted as beta, can anyone vouch for its stability/useability? I'm all for testing beta software, but the payment process is not a place I'd like to take chances.

Do people have this working? Any bugs/fixes/etc.?

"It's a damn poor mind that can only think of one way to spell a word."

-- Andrew Jackson

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

D'oh! Could've sworn I posted this in the Contributions section. (Could a mod please move this.. pretty please :) )

-- Andrew Jackson

Paul_C,

I'm using Pablo's PayPal IPN contribution now. I think it's OUTSTANDING.

I find that over 50% of the paypal users forget to click that damn continue button, and adding orders to the db manually is a real chafe.

So far, it's worked great for me, processing a dozen or so orders in 2 days. I also worked with Pablo to include the "pre-fill" paypals text boxes that the customers already provided.

I'd highly recomend it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Good to hear! I'll be applying it shortly then :)

(Anyone know if the new checkout code is going to clobber this contribution?)

-- Andrew Jackson

Good to hear! I'll be applying it shortly then :)

That's a great question. The weekly summary would lead one to suspect it will.

Pablo very kindly tried to integrate his IPN with my too-old CVS site, I'm sure he'll be on top of it :D .

Hi Paul

Good to hear! I'll be applying it shortly then  

I think that the contrib will not work with the new checkout code.

Anyway, as soon as Harald release the new checkout code, I will rewrite it to make it work.

Obviously, the contrib will contain code to work with the new and the old checkout system.

Best regards

Pablo,

In case no one has told you yet, you're the man!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Is there a site that I can see this functioning? I've applied the changes to my site, but the variables are not transfering from the checkout to the Paypal site. Is this the way paypal IPN works?

Is there a site that I can see this functioning?

This site http://www.wizardsandwars.com has the PayPal IPN Payment Module enabled.

I've applied the changes to my site, but the variables are not transfering from the checkout to the Paypal site. Is this the way paypal IPN works?

No

It should pass the variables to PayPal... that's the way they know how much you have to pay.

Where can I see your site?

Best regards

Remember you have to activate Paypal IPN for your paypal receiving account, by going to the paypal site, logging in and then going to your profile page -> selling preferences -> instant payment notification preferences

Trust me, I'm an Accountant.

Pablo,

Thanks for the site info (by the way, put a fictious name in your database)! Unfortunately, the variables are not being passed on your site either. The email address is passed, but shipping info is not being passed.

Thanks...

Joe.

Hi Joe

Unfortunately, the variables are not being passed on your site either. The email address is passed, but shipping info is not being passed

Yes it is.

The first screen PayPal shows you, just has the price of the purchase.

Once you login in writing your email and paypal password, you will be able to see shipping costs.

It is not a problem of the PayPal IPN Payment Module, it is just the way PayPal works with the shipping costs.

Best regards

Hi Joe

Unfortunately, the variables are not being passed on your site either. The email address is passed, but shipping info is not being passed

Yes it is.

The first screen PayPal shows you, just has the price of the purchase.

Once you login in writing your email and paypal password, you will be able to see shipping costs.

It is not a problem of the PayPal IPN Payment Module, it is just the way PayPal works with the shipping costs.

Best regards

Pablo,

I didn't mention it, but you highlighted another issue I am having with this -- shipping is not included in the initial price. My site is going to be art related and hence a fairly substantial shipping price. The initial page only displays price and tax. By the way, if you want to see my test system, I set up a password for you. Let me know what you think. It's at www.5thsister.com/testsystem/catalog/default.php you will be prompted for a user name and password, please use - pablo for the user name and oscmember as the password.

Thanks...

Joe.

shipping is not included in the initial price.

You mean on the paypal pages? That is something you cannot blame osCommerce for. It is a paypal design decision. Search the forums for "sit-in" and you will find a thread that talsk about exactly this.

HTH

You can't have everything. That's why trains have difficulty crossing oceans, and hippos did not adapt to fly. -- from the OpenBSD mailinglist.

Jan,

I knew it wasn't a problem with OSC. By the way, It's got to be after 2:00am your time.

I noticed that I am not sending an email address in either mine or Pablo's post, but in Pablo's system, my OSC stored email address is showing, in the initial screen, where my system doesn't show my stored email address.

How is that email address passed?

Thanks...

Joe.

Hi Joe

I noticed that I am not sending an email address in either mine or Pablo's post, but in Pablo's system, my OSC stored email address is showing, in the initial screen, where my system doesn't show my stored email address.  

How is that email address passed?

Where are you talking about? In osCommerce or in PayPal?

In PayPal, it depends of your cookies and the GET variables sended from the script.

Try deleting all your cookies in your browser, and test both systems wizardsandwars and your site (delete the cookies for each site).

If you have the cookies deleted, you will see some fields pre-filled.

Later, log into PayPal (so your email/username at paypal gets saved into a cookie) and try both systems again.

You should see your email address prefilled.

Best regards

BTW,

For anyone who wishes to checkout the paypal IPN module on my site with a completed purchase with or without hitting the continue button :wink: at (www.wizardsandwars.com) email me directly, and I can set up a "special" so that the total including shipping will be $.01.

Also, I would appreciate any feedback regarding anything on my site (especially anything search engine related).

For anyone who wishes to checkout the paypal IPN module on my site with a completed purchase with or without hitting the continue button  :wink:   at  (www.wizardsandwars.com) email me directly, and I can set up a "special" so that the total including shipping will be $.01.

That would be good if those that test this, make 2 test.

The first one, paying the product, and NOT hitting the CONTINUE button... so they will only receive the email when the PayPal Transaction gets status=COMPLETED.

The second test, paying the product and hitting the CONTINUE button, so you can see the final message from the shop.

If the PayPal Transaction status=COMPLETED you should see the common SUCCESSFULL screen.

If the PayPal Transaction status=PENDING you should see an "your order is being processed" screen.

If the PayPal Transaction status=FAILED you should see an "your payment has failed".

Best regards

In PayPal, it depends of your cookies and the GET variables sended from the script.  

Try deleting all your cookies in your browser, and test both systems wizardsandwars and your site (delete the cookies for each site).  

Pablo,

Lost my cookies and it looks good! The only thing is the email address is not transfering over.

If anyone didn't mention this... "you da man"!

Thanks for all your help!

Joe.

Joej

PayPal does not allow you to pass them the email address. The customer HAS to enter it again at the PayPal site.

There is one other field they won't accept either, but I can't remember what it is.

Wiz, -- by the way, really liked your site!

PayPal does not allow you to pass them the email address. The customer HAS to enter it again at the PayPal site.  

I tested the variable &email= on the link to paypal and even though it is not documented, the email address I added to it showed up in the customer email field.

Thanks...

Joe

Joe,

Thanks. I'll be looking for your at Christmas time :wink: .

That is very interesting re: the email address. I didn't even think to try what PayPal didn't have documented.

God I hate paypal. The only reason I use them is because they are BY FAR the cheapest CC Processing solution out there. Especially if you use Their depit card to make your store's purchases. You can get up to 1.5 pecent back from the processing fees.

I really like 2checkout, with their modifiable checkout page and all, but they are SOOOO expensive. I pay a buck extra a transaction, plus the $50 upfront.

Gotta give the customers a choice, though I guess.

God I hate paypal. The only reason I use them is because they are BY FAR the cheapest CC Processing solution out there. Especially if you use Their depit card to make your store's purchases. You can get up to 1.5 pecent back from the processing fees.

Gotta give the customers a choice, though I guess.

I "hate" paypal, too, but I can see from my logs the number of people who abandon ship just after clicking continue over to paypal, and I think it's a bigger percentage (yes, I know plenty about drop-cart rates in general).

I can't prove it yet, but I think a lot of people disappear when they see that Paypal is a required payment option. I'll let you know in a month how true that is after I get the merchant account.

:-)

Jason,

Yeah, I found that many people were turned off by paypal too. We just set up an account with 2checkout, so now we offer both, and nearly doubled our orders per day.

I'd like to get a merchant account too, but it'll cost about $49 for a shared cert, another $200 for the merchant account AND THEN 2.2% plus .35 per.

That's a bit steep for a startup. Hopefully by this time next year, I'll be set up with one as well.

Until then, I'll just gut it out with 2checkout and PayPal.