• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PayPal IPN?

Paul_C

Thank you soo much for your quick reply! Ok, my site has SSL so I won't worry about them.

Now another stupid question. How do I know if I installed properly? I did a couple test orders. It seemed to work fine. Paypal funds were taken from one account and deposited into my other. I went through the entire checkout process(without coupon code) and received a confirmation email to me as a customer and a copy to me as the seller. However, when I checked orders in admin it wasn't there. So I'm thinking there is still something wrong with the paypal ipn mod install.

Thanks again!

Dawn

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you soo much for your quick reply! Ok, my site has SSL so I won't worry about them.

Now another stupid question. How do I know if I installed properly? I did a couple test orders. It seemed to work fine. Paypal funds were taken from one account and deposited into my other. I went through the entire checkout process(without coupon code) and received a confirmation email to me as a customer and a copy to me as the seller. However, when I checked orders in admin it wasn't there. So I'm thinking there is still something wrong with the paypal ipn mod install.

Thanks again!

Dawn

I'm encountering a similar problem.

From what I can tell, this seems to happen when a customer fails to click "Return to Merchant" in Paypal, and just closes their browser or goes off elsewhere.

The payment is completed via paypal - you get notification of a payment via paypal, but nothing shoes up in the orders page and you have no details of what has been bought...

I'd assume that the solution to this would be some way of forcing an automatic return from Paypal back to the store following a successful transaction...but how to do this?

I've been trawling the forums to no avail for a while now.

does anyone have the answer to this?

• 2 weeks later...
Paul_C,

I'm using Pablo's PayPal IPN contribution now. I think it's OUTSTANDING.

I find that over 50% of the paypal users forget to click that damn continue button, and adding orders to the db manually is a real chafe.

So far, it's worked great for me, processing a dozen or so orders in 2 days. I also worked with Pablo to include the "pre-fill" paypals text boxes that the customers already provided.

I'd highly recomend it.

What do you mean by the pre-fill, and how is that done?

Thanks

JLF

• 2 weeks later...

Hello:

I'd assume that the solution to this would be some way of forcing an automatic return from PayPal back to the store following a successful transaction...but how to do this?

In your paypal account profile there is a Website Payment Preferences. There is an option to make the customer return to your site (auto rtn). There is Auto Data Transfer that can be used with this option.

You can make the customer return to your site by using auto return.

• 3 weeks later...

I am having problems with the PayPal IPN module running on a GoDaddy server.

I beleive the reason may be the restrictions GoDaddy places on cURL, but the IPN page always draws a blank result when trying to verify the order, resulting in a failure notice being sent to my email.

any ideas how to fix this? Or do i just have to circumvent verification and hide the IPN very very well?

If the customer doesn't return to your site after placing an order and you don't have the IPN version, the order in your shop won't be completed. Paypal realized this was a problem and is why they created the IPN code.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

If the customer doesn't return to your site after placing an order and you don't have the IPN version, the order in your shop won't be completed. Paypal realized this was a problem and is why they created the IPN code.

Jack

I have had over half of my orders NOT get to my admin section and have to track the customer down to find out what they ordered as well. To say this is a pain is putting it mildly as well as creates a mess keeping track of orders.

I just went in and made a return page and forced return from PayPal (as mentioned above in the thread). But how do I know if I have the IPN version? I have PayPal set as my default and they take care of all payment types for me. It only says "PayPal" on my Payment Modules page. Should it say something else? And if so what and how do I get it?

Thanks.....

Edited by blackleaf

I just installed and setup the PayPal IPN module and found it wasn't working, I wasn't getting any notifications. Turns out it was because my PayPal account didn't have IPN enabled. I tried setting this up (which wasn't in the documentation and maybe should be), but I still never see the changes. I'm using the sandbox site and the emails are showing up for receipts and notification of payment, however all orders stay at "preparing paypal IPN" in my store. I've specified an email address for the debugging address, however have yet to receive any emails there. Does anyone have any ideas on debugging this?

I have had over half of my orders NOT get to my admin section and have to track the customer down to find out what they ordered as well. To say this is a pain is putting it mildly as well as creates a mess keeping track of orders.

I just went in and made a return page and forced return from PayPal (as mentioned above in the thread). But how do I know if I have the IPN version? I have PayPal set as my default and they take care of all payment types for me. It only says "PayPal" on my Payment Modules page. Should it say something else? And if so what and how do I get it?

Thanks.....

The IPN version has the name in the module. But in case that has been changed, if it is installed there will be a directory name ext in the root of the site. It doesn't sound like you have it installed.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

I just installed and setup the PayPal IPN module and found it wasn't working, I wasn't getting any notifications. Turns out it was because my PayPal account didn't have IPN enabled. I tried setting this up (which wasn't in the documentation and maybe should be), but I still never see the changes. I'm using the sandbox site and the emails are showing up for receipts and notification of payment, however all orders stay at "preparing paypal IPN" in my store. I've specified an email address for the debugging address, however have yet to receive any emails there. Does anyone have any ideas on debugging this?
The sandbox send the emails to the sandbox account. You can view them there. The orders will stay at preparing paypal IPN but there should be a green check mark in the comment section to show payment was received. If only a red x is showing, then the order wasn't completed.

Jack

Edited by Jack_mcs

Support Links:

All of My Addons

Recommended SEO Addons

The sandbox send the emails to the sandbox account. You can view them there. The orders will stay at preparing paypal IPN but there should be a green check mark in the comment section to show payment was received. If only a red x is showing, then the order wasn't completed.

Jack

Yes, I saw those emails, however I just have the red X next to the order in the column "Customer Notified" and my stock is not reduced. Looking at the PHP it appears that the stock is only reduced by the web site that PayPal is supposed to send the notification to, so I'm assuming this part isn't happening for some reason. Do you have a good way to test this?

Yes, I saw those emails, however I just have the red X next to the order in the column "Customer Notified" and my stock is not reduced. Looking at the PHP it appears that the stock is only reduced by the web site that PayPal is supposed to send the notification to, so I'm assuming this part isn't happening for some reason. Do you have a good way to test this?

I got it working! Turns out I needed a php.ini file in the same directory as ipn.php that had "register_globals = On". Not sure why I didn't get the error before or why the php.ini from the parent directory wasn't used, but now it works!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been trying to get my clients store to use the Paypal IPN with the "Per Item" selection. Everything works as it should in aggregate mode but when I select "Per Item" the following error appears on the paypal page;

Error Detected

Some required information is missing or incomplete. Please correct your entries and try again.

On the site, Worldpay is also installed and this works correctly with no problems.

When making a purchase on the store the order is added successfully to the database using the Worldpay method. Nothing is added to the database using the Paypal IPN method through the Per Item selection.

Here are the configurations of the Paypal IPN;

PayPal IPN v2.3.2

Enable PayPal IPN Module

True

Gateway Server

Live

E-Mail Address

[blanked out]

Sort order of display.

Transaction Currency

Selected Currency

Payment Zone

--none--

Set Preparing Order Status

Preparing [PayPal IPN]

Set PayPal Acknowledged Order Status

Set PayPal Completed Order Status

Transaction Type

Per Item

Move tax to total amount

False

Page Style

Debug E-Mail Address

[blanked out]

cURL Proxy server

Enable Encrypted Web Payments

False

Your Private Key

Your Public Certificate

PayPals Public Certificate

Your PayPal Public Certificate ID

Working Directory

OpenSSL Location

/usr/bin/openssl

If you require the URL to help me fix this problem please contact me via PM as it is necessary that the URL is not posted on the public forums.

Thank you for your time.

I need to see more detail in your sent out parameters. Here is a debug code add-on for v2.3.x, which is to dump the parameters sent within the button code into debug email. Warning!! This debug code will put order details in email without any protection. Apply this debug code only if you want to help solving the above issue, and it shall be removed after the problem sovled.

Find in catalog/includes/modules/payment/paypal_ipn.php around line 584:

unset($data);
  } else {
	while (list($key, $value) = each($parameters)) {
	  echo tep_draw_hidden_field($key, $value);
	}
  }

return $process_button_string;
}

Replace with:

unset($data);
  } else {
	reset($parameters);
	  $process_button_string .= tep_draw_hidden_field($key, $value);
	}
  }
// BOF debug code
  if (tep_not_null(MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_IPN_DEBUG_EMAIL)) {
	reset($parameters);
	$email_body = '';
	  $email_body .= $key . '=' . $value . "\n";
	}
	tep_mail('', MODULE_PAYMENT_PAYPAL_IPN_DEBUG_EMAIL, 'PayPal IPN Parameters Dump', $email_body, STORE_OWNER, STORE_OWNER_EMAIL_ADDRESS);
  }
// EOF debug code
  return $process_button_string;
}

That's it.

You must setup the debug email to get the dumping. Please post (in the support thread) the problematic parameters sent to you, with personal info removed.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

Hi All,

The store is running one year without major problems. Recently I noticed that Pay Pal charges right amount for orders including taxes but completely ignores shipping costs. I tested it and before order goes to Pay Pal gate include shipping cost – TOTAL is right, but on the Pay Pal side shipping ( costs) is missing.

Any advise?

Thanks ,

andrew

Hi All,

I've read about Paypal's option to allow customers to process their payment without logging in (account optional). I've got mine set up correctly, as far as I can see - in the Paypal>>Profile>>Website Payment Preferences page - but when I test it live, it requires a log in or a new account set up.

Any help would be appreciated! :blush:

Janna

Below are the parameters which were emailed. Strangely enough when I got through to paypal everything worked properly after inserting the code above until I got back to the site. On the site the wrong product was displayed and the order had not been added to the database. The item which appeared in the dump was the correct 1.

cmd=_cart

upload=1

item_name_1=(blanked out)

amount_1=12.99

tax_1=0.00

quantity_1=1

shipping_1=0.00

num_cart_items=1

amount=12.99

business=(blanked out)

no_shipping=1

H_PhoneNumber=(blanked out)

first_name=

last_name=

address1=

address2=

city=

zip=

state=

country=

email=(blanked out)

currency_code=USD

invoice=1194266139

custom=4

no_note=1

notify_url=https://www.(blanked out).com/store/ext/modules/payment/paypal_ipn/ipn.php

cbt=Complete your Order Confirmation

return=https://www.(blanked out).com/store/checkout_process.php

cancel_return=https://www.(blanked out).com/store/checkout_payment.php

bn=osCommerce PayPal IPN v2.1

lc=CA

• 2 weeks later...
If your site uses SSL (shared or full) then it already transmits the data as encrypted data - so in that case you don't need to do anything with those settings.

If you don't have SSL then read the Install Guide that comes with the IPN module, because it provides links to the information you need.

Vger

I'm just finishing up an installation of SSL. Does this mean that I'm supposed to leave Encrypted Web Payments disabled, and leave the rest of the fields from there on (below that option) blank/default?

Janna

Hi All,

The store is running one year without major problems. Recently I noticed that Pay Pal charges right amount for orders including taxes but completely ignores shipping costs. I tested it and before order goes to Pay Pal gate include shipping cost – TOTAL is right, but on the Pay Pal side shipping ( costs) is missing.

Any advise?

Thanks ,

andrew

Some time after Oct 20 2007 Paypal paments for more than one item drops the shipping charges, even though the website invoice has the propper shipping included. I am looking for the same answers...-Sam

PaYPAL ipn AND shipping! Originally I tried to use the regular Paypal checkout, it did not calculate shipping, it did not register the order even if I clicked the return to store button. I found a fix on here so it calculated shipping into the total but had to install PAYPAL IPN contribution. THen now it shows the orders in the database, but now im having trouble again with the shipping costs being calculated in the total..

how do we change the paypal IPN to calculate shipping?

Sincerely,

PaYPAL ipn AND shipping! Originally I tried to use the regular Paypal checkout, it did not calculate shipping, it did not register the order even if I clicked the return to store button. I found a fix on here so it calculated shipping into the total but had to install PAYPAL IPN contribution. THen now it shows the orders in the database, but now im having trouble again with the shipping costs being calculated in the total..

how do we change the paypal IPN to calculate shipping?

We are having the exact same problem. Oscommerce is not passing Shipping costs to paypal. We are using the inbuilt Paypal IPN within Oscommerce 2.2.

Rest of it seems to be functioning but we are losing about £10 per order! Any ideas?

Hey folks!

I've got the same problem but it only happens with multi-item orders. It took me forever to figure out it wasn't my site - but PAYPAL that is causing the problem. I contacted their customer service department and the guy I talked to really didn't seem to have the first clue what I was talking about but he's putting my site "on the list" and said someone will contact me within 24 to 72 hours. If they tell me ANYthing helpful, I'll be sure to post it here. If anyone else comes up with something PLEASE let me know!!!

Sandi (with a headache)

The tomb could not hold God's Son...but your heart can

Same issue here regarding Paypal IPN module and multiple items dropping the shipping.

When I first hit the paypal site in the payment process, it says:

Total with Shipping:$134.35

Shipping and Handling : $6.35

Total with Shipping: $134.35 USD

Click to view purchase details

However, once I enter my paypal email and password and login, the following page says:

OSC item description 1 $64.00 1 $64.00

OSC another description 2 $64.00 1 $64.00

Enter Gift Certificate, Coupon, or Reward

Total: $128.00 USD

2 Items, Total: $128.00 USD

Somehow paypal loses the shipping in the second step on the paypal site???

A short-term solution is to change the Paypal IPN module from individual items to aggregate to send one grand total plus shipping to paypal. Shipping is no longer dropped for multiple items this way, but of course you lose the individual items showing up in the paypal email, etc. which is a drawback.