• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Newbie question - Server error

msaunders

Hi,

I copied the admin and catalog folders into my root (htdocs/) and I am getting the message "Unable to connect to database server!" when I go to any of the above folders.

I take it I need to modify the admin/includes/application_*.php files, but there are a lot of variables in tehre, do I need to edit them all ?

martin

No, you need to edit the includes/configure.php and admin/includes/configure.php

You have to put inside information about your database server, and some path of directory :)

Bye

Good man!

2.2 offers plenty of growth compared to 2.1 as many are creating contributions to work with 2.2 and not with 2.1.

I prefer it, but as I always say, that is just MHO.

CC.

Thanks CC . I will give it a go. btw, I put a post up earlier today (under general) to see if anyone could recommend a good opensource client database or something similiar, like a client directory. Have you any ideas ? If this is off topic, you can mail me privatly.

thanks again.

Nope, I was using the version fromthe downlaods page. I am getting 2.2 now ..

Martin-

When you do, go out to www.oscdox.com, and download their install/documentation guide. It gives a lot of good information about what permissions to set initially, how to install, and how to secure an installation once finished.

From one n00b to another... :grin:

Aodhan

Excellant Aodhan, thanks. 8)

Also, Can I put my Admin and Catalog directories into any sub folder in my htdocs or does it have to be in the root ?? eg, if my shop was called electroworld , can I put the admin and catalog in htdocs/electroworld/

thanks

martin

Well you could, but it wont be a very nice URL to actually get to the site.

If you are doing this for testing then yeh great.

But if you want this to be your main site then I would say no, go to the root of htdocs.

CC.

Hi

No LAN-Arena.co.uk is my hobby site, in fact it doesn't get touched these days really.

That is in phpnuke, nothing to do with OSC.

My OSC site is pretty much still under wraps until I get it looking something presentable.

It can be found tho, depends on how hard you try. ;)

CC.

Archived