• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can not link Images in Subdirectories

CC

I read about this quite some time ago now, and heard that it was supposed to be a bug? I'm unsure though.

But

When I add a product I can never link the images unless it is directly in the catalog/images/ directory.

If I wanted to add say and image of a 17" monitor from catalog/images/monitors/17.jpg it just would not work. But if I linked it from catalog/images/17.jpg it would work.

Why is this and is there a fix??

Thnx again

CC.

C'mon guys....

Anyone know what this is about.

I have never got it to work from subdirectories and it is one of the only things left buggin me.

HELP! :lol: (I need somebody- Help!, Not just anybody... And so forth... :wink: )

When adding the image, you need to specify the directory name as well for where to place it.

Unfortunately, unlike the banners, there is not an additional field to say what directory.

You can, however, manually key in, example:

hewlett_packard/lj1100xi.gif

Then manually upload the file to the correct directory. :cry:

Hi Linda.

I have done that numerous times, and yet with no results.

It baffles me, I can set the link perfect (!) and yet still no image.

But if I transfer the image to jst catalog/images/ and then chage the link to go to only that directory it is fine.

Although this doesnt stop me creating my site, it does stop me keeping my images neat and in a decent order!

Anyone else know what the faff is wrong with it?

CC.

I've noticed this also. I have all my images neatly organized in subdirs catalog/images/products/category1 ... categoryn

but when I add product and image in the admin it copies it over to catalog/images. So yeah my images folder has all the products and underneath I have them again. So I'm using twice the space in product graphics. but oh well MBs are cheap nowadays.

um, well I guess that really wasn't much help but I feel your pain. :lol:

It's funny how the harder I work the luckier I get.

reverse the slashes. If you want to upload monitor.jpg to the monitors subcategory of images, then it is images/monitors17.jpg

The slash in front of the image name must be reversed.. If it was images, with subcat of monitors and subcat of say lcd then it would be images/monitorslcd17.jpg

I have noticed that in the untared instalation, there are directories set up for the catogories e.g. /dvd etc... is this something that has been done manualy, or is there an actual setting that creates the directory / sub dir.

If this is a manual setup, has anyone requested as a "wish"

8)

• 1 year later...

i tried that way it didn't work,

however, i tried

c:\websites\test.com\images/\category\image.gif

and it worked including the product image location for display

but even still, this needs to be fixed in the product add area of categories.php

i'm trying to figure out how to change it

out of messing around with this problem, i have come up with a proposed solution

modify upload.php to include %category% with destination

now, does anyone know if the banners.php uses the upload.php to upload images?

if that is the case, then there is another possible fix

copy the destination code from banners.php to categories.php

eventually, i will figure out how to do this...=)

• 1 month later...

hi SirLeo,

do u mean should modify the upload.php file to fix this bug? where can i find the upload.php file? i tried c:\websites\test.com\images/\category\image.gif but doesn't work. would u explain in details? :unsure:

thanks so much!

• 1 year later...
hi SirLeo,

do u mean should modify the upload.php file to fix this bug? where can i find the upload.php file? i tried c:\websites\test.com\images/\category\image.gif but doesn't work. would u explain in details? :unsure:

thanks so much!

The problem that I am now having is that my subdirectory will not get written example: music/cdback.gif and when I do the "Preview" it show up as just cdback.gif. This used to work before because I have many subdirectories but it is quite awhile since I did any work in adding products and I also did an update awhile back but can't remember now if I did add any products since.

Can anyone help please because I would like to add new products.

Thanks for that info but my admin/categories.php is not the same: Its like this

--// copy image only if modified

$products_image = tep_get_uploaded_file('products_image');

$image_directory = tep_get_local_path(DIR_FS_CATALOG_IMAGES);

The problem is that the images are writen in the "images" directory and not in the "images/?" subdirectories and that was not the case before.

I think that this started to happen after some upgrade and it might be in my config.php but I seems not to be able to find the change.

I uploaded my images manually (ftp) to the subdirectory and in the Administration "Products Image: I would just write, example, the name of the subdirectory music/filename and the image would be uploaded in "images/music/file.jpg" or whatever but now this is not happening more because the subdirectory name is not been written only the filename.

dont modify any programs.  when you created the directory for the images, did you set the file permissions at 777?

Many thanks for the input but the subdirectories are all chod to 777 it is just that the subdirectory name, example "music/filename.gif" is ending up as only filename.gif if you get what I mean.

oops here's the soloution

The way the Knowledge base stated to get this to work didn't work for me however I have found a way that works for me:

FIRST: Create your subdirectories on the server within images and upload all the required files for each subdirectory (make sure the files are not duplicated in the server root of catalog/images if they are delete them)

Using easypopulate:

Step1: I selected: "Download Complete tab-delimited .txt file to edit" from the easypopulate.php menus

This gave me a file of my current stock with the relevant headings required

Step2: Using these headings I then input my products in the correct columns

Step3: In the "v_products_image" column then typed the subdirectory/image file name.jpg

(example if you have a directory within "images" called "Deckboxes" and a file name of "WhiteBox.jpg" within that subdirectory, the entry in the "v_products_image" column would be "Deckboxes/WhiteBox.jpg")

Step4: As per the easypopulate documentation a unique identifier is required in the "v_products_model" in order to prevent duplicate records

Step5: I also had to ensure that my product description was not longer than the column width was set at, also it won't accept html line breaks it just ignores them

Step6: complete all other columns using the downloaded file from step as a template (any lines left blank will not be update on the server)

"EOREOR" field must be completed with the code "EOREOR" or it won't upload this is mentioned in the easypopulate documentation

Step7: Save file to the servers catalog/temp folder as tab_delimited txt

Step8: From your browser using http://webserver/catalog/admin/easypopulate.php

select the "Import from Temp Dir (temp/)" menu, type in your file name from step 7 then select insert into db button

This should have uploaded your product, with the image from the correct subdirectory

Please note the unique identifier will prevent duplicate future products being added however existing products added before using this method may be duplicated and will require deleting using your admin page.

Hope this helps (it works just fine for me)

Here is how I update images on my site www.scalecreep.com

Using an FTP program I create the folders on the web server that I want. I then FTP all my images to the server.

Meanwhile, I use the EasyPopulate contribution. In hte "Image" column I put the file path and name as I would anywhere, like:

fantassin/bavaria/fan-bv60.jpg

The I upload the text file. Just today I uploaded a couple dozen photos in a couple new folders, and it only took about 15 minutes. And it worked the first time....

• 7 months later...

There is no doubt that this needs to be fixed to work from the admin section. This problem has been long running it seems. I too could only get it to work by using mySQL commands. That is uncalled for.

When you put in a directory in the product setup, it should show and point to THAT directory.

I read about this quite some time ago now, and heard that it was supposed to be a bug? I'm unsure though.

But

When I add a product I can never link the images unless it is directly in the catalog/images/ directory.

If I wanted to add say and image of a 17" monitor from catalog/images/monitors/17.jpg it just would not work. But if I linked it from catalog/images/17.jpg it would work.

Why is this and is there a fix??

Thnx again

CC.

The default image directory for images is called image if you want another say monitor you need make up a directory called monitor and and put it in you catalog folder and set up you configure files accordingly then it would be catalog/monitor

Or you can put a folder called monitor inside your image folder in your catalog and set up accordingly and it should be something like catalog/images/monitor/ images will now be stored in the monitors folder .

And if your inserting images using html you can basically put your images where ever you want.

Sorry about this late post BROWSER IMAGE CACHE HISTORY :blush:

( WARNING )

I think I know what Im talking about.

BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP BACK UP

Archived