• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

OS 2.2?

How do you mean by released?

You can download and use 2.2 now.

If you mean final release then dont be put off by the fact it is called a development version.

I would say a large number of users actually have 2.2 now, it is reliable to a certain degree, and has far more contributions to offer than 2.1.

However bugs are always being fixed as you will see from the Developers posts, but I would chose 2.2 everyday.

But that is MHO.

CC.

I have yet to see any target date anywhere on the forums, etc.

"Reliable to a degree" is not the thing you are looking for when running a business off of this. Even Mozilla had to hit a release version at some point.

Is there anything other (excluding 2.1) than a daily snapshot for 2.2 that can be used as a "stable basis" for setting up a working site?

Looking for something stable and secure as I would like to make the switch from my existing setup to this if possible.

John C. Kostiuk

big stogies

www.bigstogies.com

Runs for me. But, if you want assurance for YOUR site, then you need to get 2.2, install it on a test server, and use it (test it). this is the same for ANY software.

I sure wouldn't take any purchased software and just load the update and run my site with it. I would test it first, as good as I could.

Steve

Thanks for the post.

Your comments are a given in my books.

I would still like a direct answer on the timeline, a la mike's first post, if it's floating around somewhere.

At some point you have to stick a fork in it.

John C. Kostiuk

big stogies

www.bigstogies.com

A timeline on software development? Let's see if you can get one.

I have had very good luck with 2.2, which was the main point of my post. But, your mileage may vary, you may use different shipping or payment methods, etc.

Steve

sfatula,

Looking for something to use for my cigar site. Need more control and flexibility.

Just doing some due diligence here before I jump in. Security and stability are my big concerns at this point.

This is the best option that I have seen so far out there for what I am looking for.

Just looking for an entry point to jump into the pool.

Thanks.

John

John C. Kostiuk

big stogies

www.bigstogies.com

John ...

As for a customizable application where you are always able to find help/consultants/etc. osC is by far one of the most versatile and friendly package of its kind.

This is the type of package that allows for a great deal of flexibility.

If there is something that it doesn't do ... there is either a contribution made or someone willing to write a custom application for you.

I think you will really enjoy using it.

While v2.1 is called the "stable version" I would strongly recommend starting with v2.2 and keeping current on the updates.

Ajeh,

Thanks for the comments.

Looking at hosts right now in my backwoods (Canada). Not decided yet.

Currently use Mac OS X on my end and like the fact that I can keep it that way with this package for site development.

John

John C. Kostiuk

big stogies

www.bigstogies.com

Gee ... sorry to hear they never got real computers up there :wink:

That is the nice thing about this program, great diversity.

Good luck with it, I think you will be happy with osC.

Like John, I'm looking for a place to jump in and "stable release" sounds like exactly where I want to be at. Then again, new features ala 2.2 sounds good too.

I'm not exactly your full time trained programmer type, and while I think setting up OsC shouldn't be a problem, I'm not sure if I can keep up with the updates.

But so far from what I've seen, OsC looks pretty nifty, kudos to the developers.

The two versions are really like night and day as far as features and flexibility.

There are a lot of live stores out there with v2.2

You may wish to see how others feel about it, but I know I am working on updating some clients' sites from February and sorry I did not keep them current with v2.2 as they are missing a lot of features right now.

I can only imagine what it would be like starting with v2.1 and having to see and hear about all the groovy new stuff I could not use :shock:

Would updating mean reinstalling the whole package again?

Further, if I'm customizing the look and feel of the site(I don't think 2.2 uses templates right?) Does that mean I'll have to code the file over each time I update?

I jump in the discussion. I would also like to start using v2.2 but I find it near to impossible since there's no support for templates and this means that I would have to rebuild all the customizations every time I update the code on the online site. Are you going to add templates support?

I was a little nervous about using the developmental version, so i downloaded and configured the stable release. But alot of the features and contributions i want aren't there, so i'm gonna give 2.2 a shot and see how it goes.

i would also like to know how often updating the 2.2 version is reccommended, and how difficult is it to update? I will be making tons of changes to the layout and for the amount of time i've already put into changing the stable version, i don't want to do that everytime i update 2.2 :)

If you're like me that I like to have all the latest fixes you could be updating almost daily from the CVS. And without a templating engine it's going to be a real trouble.

To the devs: are you sure you do not need a hand porting osCommerce to a templating engine like Smarty?

Templates will be a great idea - but that doesn't mean you cannot create a really good looking site from the current code... it just takes a little bit of effort. Why not get your site live now and start selling for Christmas? It will be quite a while before the template feature is done....

i would also like to know how often updating the 2.2 version is reccommended, and how difficult is it to update? I will be making tons of changes to the layout and for the amount of time i've already put into changing the stable version, i don't want to do that everytime i update 2.2 :)

Upgrading to the final 2.2 release will bring in advantages and disadvantages when upgrading from 2.1 or 2.2-CVS.

Bad news first :D

The front end will need to be done again to match any modifications made. There will be a database upgrade script for the 2.1 release so the products, customers, orders - everything in the database will be safe.

It is impossible to make an upgrade script from 2.2-CVS as there are daily snapshots made. There are however some upgrade scripts located in the extras directory of the catalog module. There is also an online CVS web interface navigation to show you the differences between versions of the database dump file.

The good news:

Any frontend modifications will need to be done once only on the template file. Currently each page is complete in HTML which means making modifications to every file. Once the template structure is implemented, these changes will only need to be done once in the template files.

It is recommended to sign up to the tep-commits mailing list so that changes to the codebase are sent to your email address.

:heart:, osCommerce

Archived