• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Entering data in Admin section

Digimatt

:x It is very annoying that I have to enter data one field at a time in the Admin section. It would be really nice to have a form that allows me to make any changes I want and submit all changes at once. This seems pretty logical. Why would I want to refresh the page three times just to change one field? It takes forever to update the admin section.[/b]

What type of updates are you referring to?

There have been several contributions to make various updates to existing products easier.

These might perhaps help you make your changes faster.

Do you perhaps have an example of what you are trying to change?

In the MyStore page, to chang the information on that page I have to click on the item to change, then I have to click on the edit button, THEN I get a text box to change the value, then I click update. If all of the items on the page were in the appropriate input fields on that page, I could simply change them and hit update instead of having to click three buttons for each item.

I guess I cannot see any other way to edit something if you don't first decide what it is that you want to edit then acknowledge that you do in fact want to edit it and not just look at it, either by double clicking or hitting edit.

Otherwise, you are openning the way for a lot of careless mistakes when viewing data.

Obviously there is no product management being done on the product. I guess there are just a bunch of diva developers that are too proud of their code. It is not being developed to be a good product, it is being developed to perpetuate the egos of a bunch of teenagers who don't know how to develop a product before they write code.

Due to your smugness (you are obviously one of the child programmers), I will be using an alternative solution for my business needs. BTW, I just hooked up with two seminar companies that are under contract to bring 300 sites per month for the next 4 months. osCommerce will NOT be driving those sites 2400 Web sites. :shock:

This is the world of Free Software. You are free to choose, you are free to help, you are free to modify, enhance, break it and **** on it.

But please help us in making things better.

What do you criticize exactly? Do you have a solution?

You can't have everything. That's why trains have difficulty crossing oceans, and hippos did not adapt to fly. -- from the OpenBSD mailinglist.

Due to your smugness (you are obviously one of the child programmers)

Do you actually know the developers or their ages. Before this post no one from the osCommerce team had posted. Linda is an end user and a valued contributor. If you want to criticise the product or the code, fine. But personal abuse isn't the way to go if your after some help.

Trust me, I'm an Accountant.

Chill out Digimatt ;)

The amount of work these guys/girls have put into this project is breathtaking. And all you have to pay.... $0.00 (or ?0.00 / ?0.00)

They have enabled me to open my own store - with another one on the way. I've donated a small amount of money to the project but once things get going, I plan on donating a heck of a lot more.

So before you start flying off the handle and flaming - calm down. Take a deep breath and enjoy the free software. If you can build a free mod for the project - donate it and join the community!

I'm sure after he sees what else is available he'll be back under a different name.

If every member of this board donated $1 to the dev team, that would be over $11,000.00. Don't you think this cart is worth at least a $1????

Once he's finished with his 200 billion sites next tuesday that is ....

Jeeez what a lamer. :crazy:

"Politics is the art of preventing people from taking part in affairs which properly concern them"

Once he's finished with his 200 billion sites next tuesday that is ....  

Jeeez what a lamer.  :crazy:

Everyone has a bad hair day ... :roll:

I just got a bit ruffled when the posts were so obviously negative without any consideration for outlining or attempting to design his "ideal world"

Who knew he'd take the offer to re-write it the "right way" and contribute it for us was going to set him off ... :shock:

He has interesting ideas, just needs an interesting ... umm ... err ... never mind :wink:

doesn't irc have a kick and ban function .. though I would probably be first to feel this wrath .. wouldn't it be nice if ............ 8)

(my knowledge is so small you would think that an ant was a genius in comparison)

WOW!! :shock:

I caused the biggest thread on the forum. I've never done thet before. Well... I did cause a little stir on the American Idol message board.

To those of you who have worked on osCommerce, I appologize. You have done some pretty amazing things, in fact the only issue I have is the admin data entry.

Linda (the Elf) became a bit condescending in her response. I didn't start the thread to cause a fight or offend anyone. It just set me off when she answered the way she did. I could very possibly have taken her comments wrong. Hearing more of the story it sounds like she is a big fan and was defending those who have worked so hard. Kudos.

Linda, I am sorry for the insults directed at you and to the rest of you for making it a blanket statement.

I do like you software and I do plan on using it. I will NOT use a different name. I have no need. I DO NOT have 200 billion Web sites lined up, but I do have 2400 contracted and I am under some serious time constraints to deliver. Pressure + no sleep = Elf aduse. Again, I appologize.

Keep up the good work.

Digimatt

Matt Stocks

One suggestion that I was given by the poor bastard that has to maintain the inventory is that there is an edit beside each product on a page. You can enter +5 or -3 to it to indicate that you want to add 5 items or remove three (respectively), then hit a "submit" button that would update all the products.

This would make his (and my) life easier, that's for sure.

Nice one,

It would have been easy to slink away, or register as some one else. Instead you came back and apologised.

As you say, kudos.

So I'm going to be nice. One click to edit.

in admin/categories.php find the line

echo ' <tr class="dataTableRow" onmouseover="this.className='dataTableRowOver';this.style.cursor='hand'" onmouseout="this.className='dataTableRow'" onclick="document.location.href='' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CONFIGURATION, 'gID=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['gID'] . '&cID=' . $configuration['configuration_id']) . ''">' . "n";

and change to

echo ' <tr class="dataTableRow" onmouseover="this.className='dataTableRowOver';this.style.cursor='hand'" onmouseout="this.className='dataTableRow'" onclick="document.location.href='' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_CONFIGURATION, 'gID=' . $HTTP_GET_VARS['gID'] . '&cID=' . $configuration['configuration_id'].'&action=edit') . ''">' . "n";

for that I charge $10 per website :D

Trust me, I'm an Accountant.

Thanks for clearing up the stir ;-)

There have been some contributions that partly do what you did ask for. There is a price update contribution that will allow you to change all product prices on one single page with one single submit.

But please also notice some drawbacks of your suggestion.

When you have everything on one page and you have a lot of products the page will be very big in terms of size/download time.

When osCommerce has to update a lot of stuff at one time it might run out of processing time - causing errors.

As always - there is no perfect solution. All we are aiming at is to make osCommerce a good choice. But we can never satisfy all wishes.

Help us to make osCommerce better and in return we will help you to save time on satisfying your needs. It's a game of give and take ;-)

You can't have everything. That's why trains have difficulty crossing oceans, and hippos did not adapt to fly. -- from the OpenBSD mailinglist.

Archived