• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

credit card handling?

Hello,

I'm new to OSCommerce. I'm a small-time hosting reseller... and I just learned that OSCommerce has recently been installed on my server.

I installed a copy of it on a test-site this morning and I see that there's a Payment option of just plain "Credit Card", and there's some info there that suggests that this is a way that one could accept credit card payments WITHOUT using one of the other processing gateways.

This made me wonder: If one uses this option, is the customer's credit card information stored in the database? (If so, I assume the actual number is encrypted?)

Is it NOT stored, then, if you use one of the other major payment gateways?

Also, on a different topic, I'm strongly considering "pushing" OSCommerce to my customers/users, since its going to be easy enough to install via their control panels. But I need to get up-to-date on the capabilities of this software and how to support it / customize it as quickly as possible. Is there some central set of docs on it? Or will I have to put in a lot of hours digging through the forum archives and play with my own copy in order to prepare myself?

<sigh> As much as I like OSCommerce, I'm not looking forward to handling supporting it for a bunch of non-techies.

Thanks!

-= Dave =-

<sigh>  As much as I like OSCommerce, I'm not looking forward to handling supporting it for a bunch of non-techies.

<ironic>

<sigh> so you think you can send them to us and we do your job?

</ironic>

Well - guess what - it actually works. This community takes care of osCommerce users.

Maybe you can think of something you can give back to the community and we all will be happy ;-)

You can't have everything. That's why trains have difficulty crossing oceans, and hippos did not adapt to fly. -- from the OpenBSD mailinglist.

OK,

My questions have been answered about modification documentation, thank you!

But what about what I was asking regarding how OSCommerce handles credit card transactions? Does it store the numbers in the database?

Also, is there a Store Administator's document out there, to help get a new store owner familiar with some "how to" information?

Thanks!

-= Dave =

Archived