• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Mastercard/Visa credit card requirements

sfatula

For those who follow these things, please note a customer can easily claim (and you WILL LOSE) they were not aware of your refund policy, unless:

1. The policy is included on the same screen as the checkout screen used to present the total purchase amount and for the user to confirm the order, or

2. The cardholder must acknowledge the policy by clicking an accept type button acknowledging the refund policy during the checkout process.

#2 would be nice, for me. I would like to see this added to OSCommerce as it really is a requirement anyway to accept cards, unless you want to risk more trouble with customers. Doesn't seem like it would take much at all to add to the checkout process as really only a checkbox is needed and everyone could use it. Obviously, if the user doesn't check the box, they would be prevented from finalizing the order.

Steve

Still would not protect you from charge backs as the customer can easily claim he did not make the purchase. VISA now automatically takes chargebacks out of the account without asking first.

It is always a risk to sell with Credit Cards as the actual transfer of goods is not related to the financial agreement you engage with the CC company and your clients. If a chargeback occurs and the customer keeps the goods you will have to get your money in a different way.

Agreed, been doing business for many years. But, that is no way minimizes my suggestion. I want to remove ONE of the problems, not solve them all. I am just saying if the customer wants to return an item, and I say no, and they say why not, and I say because it's more than 10 days or whatever, and they say I never told them that, then they will lose. Sure, a more intelligent thief has other loopholes.

Steve

• 3 months later...

Upon delivery of the goods they have to sign your delivery receipt as confirmation of the receiving of the goods. Put in th efine print your terms and conditions of sale for sale and returns with and without a credit card purchase. If they say they never got the goods they will perjure themselves.

• 4 years later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 year later...
For those who follow these things, please note a customer can easily claim (and you WILL LOSE) they were not aware of your refund policy, unless:

1. The policy is included on the same screen as the checkout screen used to present the total purchase amount and for the user to confirm the order, or

2. The cardholder must acknowledge the policy by clicking an accept type button acknowledging the refund policy during the checkout process.

#2 would be nice, for me. I would like to see this added to OSCommerce as it really is a requirement anyway to accept cards, unless you want to risk more trouble with customers. Doesn't seem like it would take much at all to add to the checkout process as really only a checkbox is needed and everyone could use it. Obviously, if the user doesn't check the box, they would be prevented from finalizing the order.

This is an old thread, but I was wondering if this was ever worked out. And if so could some kind soul point me to the fix? Thanks. -Will

Archived