• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

As of October 12th, PAYPAL has stopped communicating with my osCommerce

swrawls

All new orders from Midnight October 12th, 2006 onwards are no longer receiving IPN information back from PayPal after an order has been correctly completed. The orders are remaining in "PENDING" status and not being moved to "COMPLETE" as they should be and were doing everyday before October 12th.

The customer and myself are receiving notifications of the payment but not the order process email. One thing I have noticed since this abrupt change is the payment notification emails from PayPal are no longer being sent to the BUSINESS ID EMAIL ADDRESS any more. I have 2 different sites running and all PayPal payment emails are now being sent to the PRIMARY EMAIL ADDRESS only.

This change in the system is currently affecting both of the websites and NOTHING has been changed on the websites OR the server. No additions, no upgrades, no fixes, no nothing. No changes to the Pay Pal account either.

Is anyone else having this problem or know what's going on?

You are not alone. I have the "PayPal IPN" mod installed and mine stopped working with the same symptyoms at the same time. I noticed some of the buttons within paypal changed, I assume they had an upgrade to their system that broke the mod. I have no idea how to fix it.

I did notice something thay may explain what's going on.

If you look at the order PayPal Transaction Activity the Transaction number is about 32 digits long. When I look at an older order that number is only 17 digits long.

I'm trying ann experiment that I hope will resolve this issue. I'll know if it worked when my next PayPal order comes in.

1) Login to your phpMyAdmin

2) Click on the paypal table

3) Edit txn_id and change the Length/Values from 17 to 32 or higher (I did 50)

4) Save the changes

I'll report back later if this fixed it or not.

Installed Contributions: CCGV, Close Popup, Dynamic Meta Tags, Easy Populate, Froogle Data Feeder, Google Position, Infobox Header Entire Row, Live Support for OSC, PayPal Seal with CC images, Report_m Sales, Shop by Price Revised, SQL Updater, Who's Online Enhancement, Footer, GNA EP Assistant and still going.

I do not think the 17 digit PayPal Transaction Number (that uses numbers and upper-case letters) matters to osCommerce PayPal IPN.

I think the IPN generates its own 32 digit number. You will find it @ PayPal in the Payment Details for the order, under "CUSTOM" . You will find it @ osCommerce in the PayPal IPN transaction activity in parentheses. It's a long 32 digit alphanumeric number that uses numbers and lower-case letters.

Both 32 digit IPN numbers match on the order for me (on paypal details & also my servers oscommerce details), yet the problem still persists.

This is good though, let's narrow it down. Anymore thoughts? I'm sick of manually processing these PayPal orders for the last 4 days.

Edited by swrawls

Well, my little test didn't work :(

Installed Contributions: CCGV, Close Popup, Dynamic Meta Tags, Easy Populate, Froogle Data Feeder, Google Position, Infobox Header Entire Row, Live Support for OSC, PayPal Seal with CC images, Report_m Sales, Shop by Price Revised, SQL Updater, Who's Online Enhancement, Footer, GNA EP Assistant and still going.

It's happened to us as well. We've made no changes to the server or scripts so I was sort of hoping we weren't alone with this problem. Has anyone got a resolution yet? When a system that's worked fine for 3 years suddenly stops it gets worrying.

Looks like everybody who uses the PayPal IPN is going to have to change to someone elses PayPal Payment Module contribution.

Mine was working so lovely though. Like clockwork for me. This is sad. I think today I am going to install some alternates. if you guys beat me to it, report back on how good it works for you.

Paypal has said on the paypal developer forums that it's a bug and should be fixed by today.

Hey everyone, the fix for this has been identified and is slated to go out on Monday. We apologize for the trouble!!

Damon Williams

PayPal Developer Community

Please use the forums for support! I am happy to help you here, but I am unable to offer free technical support over instant messenger or e-mail.

Paypal has said on the paypal developer forums that it's a bug and should be fixed by today.

I assuming this is the same message..Not knowing the coding, hopefully its related.

Bug with IPN 'business' variabledate 10-14-2006 11:18 AM author damon writes:

body Since PayPal's site update on the evening on 10/11, IPN has been returning the value for the "business" variable incorrectly. It is currently returning the value of "receiver_email" in the "business" field.

The fix for this has been identified and is scheduled for release on Monday, 10/16. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Edited by graysonhobby

I assuming this is the same message..Not knowing the coding, hopefully its related.

Bug with IPN 'business' variabledate 10-14-2006 11:18 AM author damon writes:

body Since PayPal's site update on the evening on 10/11, IPN has been returning the value for the "business" variable incorrectly. It is currently returning the value of "receiver_email" in the "business" field.

The fix for this has been identified and is scheduled for release on Monday, 10/16. We apologize for any inconvenience.

Not my Findings, but I have a fix for it..

Make sure your Email Address and Businss ID Address are the same in the Payment Module under the Admin area.

Im sure Paypal's fix will correct this, but Im up and running with no problems now..

Edited by graysonhobby

Not my Findings, but I have a fix for it..

Make sure your Email Address and Businss ID Address are the same in the Payment Module under the Admin area.

Im sure Paypal's fix will correct this, but Im up and running with no problems now..

OK, I will give that a try, since it is sending the notifications to my PRIMARY-EMAIL account anyhow, I have noting to lose.

I did test it this past weekend with both of my BUSINESS-ID-EMAIL addresses in both sections, but i neglected to try it with my PRIMARY-EMAIL in both sections. I just updated the fields. Let's see how it goes until Paypal fixes the issue. I'll report back.

OK, THE EMAIL CHANGE WORKED.

Originally I had different email addresses listed for the BUSINESS and MAIN email addreses. I followed graysonhobby's advice and made both email addresses in the module the PRIMARY email address of my PayPal account, and now everything is working fine.

So apparently the only people who experienced this problem is people who had two different emails for accepting their payments.

For a temporary fix until payPal finally fixes the code issue, simply change the addresses in your Paypal IPN module to your PRIMARY paypal address, and all will be fine.

I hope that helps,

So apparently the only people who experienced this problem is people who had two different emails for accepting their payments.

Sadly there are an awful lot of people like that, myself included. What a crazy mistake for them to make and leave broken for so long :(

The saving grace is that we try to discourage people from using the paypal option as much as possible these days so sales on it are only a few a day.

• 3 weeks later...