• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

CSS Menu

fear4me

first of all, thank you for this great contribution.

as a noob I am trying to modify this so that the categories are displayed horizontally. But so far not much of a succes.

So far what I could come up with are getting rid of the listing, so that I can position the categories, but then the hovering does not work, the subcategories are all displayed.

has anyone tried it yet or is possible to help me?

Thanks in advance

Edited by trozyiop

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

first of all, thank you for this great contribution.

as a noob I am trying to modify this so that the categories are displayed horizontally. But so far not much of a succes.

So far what I could come up with are getting rid of the listing, so that I can position the categories, but then the hovering does not work, the subcategories are all displayed.

has anyone tried it yet or is possible to help me?

Thanks in advance

because I cannot edit my own post I'm posting a reply:

what I did was catch up some reading about css and I changed the 'display:none' to 'display:inline' what should do the trick and set the menu to horizontal, but for some reason the top categories do not move to one line.

help?

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Hope someone can help me; if I wanted to restrict this contribution, so that the menu only displayed items from a single parent category, how would I do that? I have tried editing the second SQL statement in the categories_css.php file to limit the records that are returned to only a single parent category; however, when I view the page, I get the following error:

"Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/galaxi/public_html/cat_css_test.php on line 143"

Cheers,

Paul

Hi again,

I have changed the two queries that appear at the top of the categories_css.php file to read as follows:

$categories_subs_query = tep_db_query("select count(*) as count, c.parent_id from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c where " . $categories_to_process . " GROUP BY c.parent_id");

$categories_query = tep_db_query("select c.categories_id, cd.categories_name, c.parent_id from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where c.categories_id = cd.categories_id and cd.language_id = '" . $languages_id . "' and " . $categories_to_process . " order by sort_order, cd.categories_name");

The variable $categories_to_process contains a string of SQL which limits the categories that are returned by the queries:

$categories_to_process = "c.categories_id = '27' or c.categories_id = '87' or c.categories_id = '84'";

After making these changes, the structure of the menu that I get returned is as expected; all of the links in the menu work as expected, and if I choose to display products, the correct products are displayed within categories which contain them. Here's the odd thing: When I limit the categories that are returned in this way, all of the category names which fall below the top level of my category/subcategory hierarchy are being given the same display name.

For example, in the image below, all of the second level categories have been given the name "Used Telegraph Poles" when in fact neither of these two product categories are called "Used Telegraph Poles"; however, as explained above, the links actually work as expected, taking you to the correct category listing page when clicked.

categories_css.jpg

Could anyone that knows this code well, please point me in the right direction to get the correct names assigned to the list items; I am modifying this contribution, in order to produce another contribution which will allow the admin to create multiple category infoboxes, which I will release to the community (the contribution will be compatible with the Infobox Admin contribution #1175).

Cheers,

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I installed the latest contribution for CSS menu, and it works as anticipated....on all pages except for the main page (front page)...

I have removed "top" from my breadcrumbs...so when I go to the top level.."catalog"...the categories infobox with the css menu shows this error:

Notice: Undefined variable: foo in /mnt/w0308/d35/s40/b01a9a05/www/warmheartpashmina.com/catalog/includes/boxes/categories.php on line 90

I can find line 90 in the file specified, and see the foo variable...but do not know why the error is occuring...the menu works normally on all the other pages of the site...

Any one have some ideas?

http://www.warmheartpashmina.com/catalog

Thanks,

Matt

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Does anyone know how to limit the category depths displayed?

eg:

Main Categories> Sub Category1> Sub Category2

I have a Sub Category3 and 4 for some items but I don't want to be able to drill down to these categories in the css menu.

Any help on this would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Martin

• 4 months later...

Hi,

I would like to split the sort orders on the menu so that the Top Level Categories sort alphabetically, but the Sub Categories sort by sort_order.

Does anyone know how I would achieve this?

Many Thanks,

Garry

Garry

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I installed the CSS Menu successfully... Very nice and easy... what I was looking for....

... no errors but a strange problem...

The menu displays fine on the home page but there are three links BOX_INFORMATION_ALLPRODS, BOX_SPECIALS_ALLPRODS, BOX_WHATSNEW_ALLPRODS under the menu. When I click on any link in the css Menu, the oscommerce default menu appears again...

Made all the required chanhges to the files as per the documentation....

any help???

Edited by TheBeginner

• 4 weeks later...

I installed the ADD-ON, and I think IT is a great CONTRIBUTION.

BUT I want to konw how to cancel the border and header of the CATAGORIES BOX?

THANKS

Same here css menu is great but I cant cancel white border around categories box there is no setings in css to change this?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I installed the CSS Menu successfully... Very nice and easy... what I was looking for....

The menu displays fine on the home page but there are three links BOX_INFORMATION_ALLPRODS, BOX_SPECIALS_ALLPRODS, BOX_WHATSNEW_ALLPRODS under the menu. When I click on any link in the css Menu, the oscommerce default menu appears again...

any help???

Hi,

I just installed CSS Menu and had the same problems, but version 0.3 works fine. You can see it here. V 0_4 and 0_4_1 both give errors. Also, on localhost with XAMPP and PHP 5.3.1 it doesn't work, but it does on my online store.

Hi,

any help???

I have just found how to solve this issue, I also had that problem with 0_4_1.

Edit the categories_css.php file. Go to the PHP section at the end of the file:

<?php

$info_box_contents = array();

$info_box_contents[] = array('text' => BOX_HEADING_CATEGORIES);

new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, true, false);

$info_box_contents[] = array('text' => PrintSubMenus( 0, $languages_id, '' ));

$info_box_contents[] = array('align' => 'center',

'text' => '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_ALLPRODS, '', 'NONSSL') . '">' . BOX_INFORMATION_ALLPRODS . '</a>');

'text' => '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_SPECIALS, '', 'NONSSL') . '">' . BOX_SPECIALS_ALLPRODS . '</a>');

'text' => '<a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_PRODUCTS_NEW) . '">' . BOX_WHATSNEW_ALLPRODS .'</a>');

new infoBox($info_box_contents);

?>

</td>

</tr>

<!-- MenuConfigategories_eof //-->

DELETE the red highlighted part. Now it should look like this:

<?php

$info_box_contents[] = array('text' => BOX_HEADING_CATEGORIES);

new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, true, false);

$info_box_contents[] = array('text' => PrintSubMenus( 0, $languages_id, '' ));

new infoBox($info_box_contents);

?>

</td>

</tr>

<!-- MenuConfigategories_eof //-->

The menu now looks and works OK.

Hi,

I have found a tiny glitch that is causing trouble with CSS Menu 0_4_1. When I browse the categories from a main or subcategory page, e.g. My store front, it works fine. But if I'm on a product info page (e.g This product, there are small gaps between the categories and products in the drop down menu. This causes the menu to close when the mouse cursor goes over the gaps. Can you help me to solve this?

Hi,

I have found a tiny glitch ...

Problem solved, it wasn't a CSS menu issue, but a small problem with Simple Multiple Images Add-on and inconsistent Doctype defs.

• 2 months later...

I am having a problem with making this CSS menu work with my sts template. The sub menu is going behind every other object. As you can see in the screen shot below. I tried putting z-index in the stylesheet but it didn't help. Can anyone please help me to solve this problem.

item.jpg?rot=1

Edited by sahilsaid

• 2 months later...

I got these,anythings wrongs here?

0 ) { $returnval .= "

"; } if ( $productsDisplay > $cssMenuConfig['maxProductsInMenu'] ) { $productsDisplay=$cssMenuConfig['maxProductsInMenu']; $addMore= true; } $count_string = ''; if (SHOW_COUNTS == 'true') { if ($totalitemsincategory > 0) { $count_string = ' (' . $totalitemsincategory . ')'; } } $i=0; while ($i < $productsDisplay) { $products = tep_db_fetch_array($products_query); $product_query = tep_db_query("select products_name from products_description where products_id = " . $products['products_id'] . " AND language_id = ".$languageID ); $product = tep_db_fetch_array($product_query); $returnval .= "

".$product['products_name']."

\n"; $i++; } if ( $addMore ) { $returnval .= "

".$cssMenuConfig['moreText']."

\n"; } if ( $productsDisplay > 0 || !$includeul ) { $returnval .= "

"; } return $returnval; } function PrintSubMenus( $parentID, $languageID, $start_path ){ global $cssMenuConfig, $categories_subs, $categories_start; $returnval = ''; if (($start_path == '') && ($parentID > 0)) { $start_path = $parentID; } else { if ($parentID > 0) $start_path .= "_" . $parentID; } if ($parentID != 0) { $returnval .= "

"; } else { $returnval .= "

"; $returnval .= "

"; } // $categories_query = tep_db_query("select c.categories_id, cd.categories_name, c.parent_id from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where c.parent_id = '".$parentID."' and c.categories_id = cd.categories_id and cd.language_id='" . (int)$languageID ."' order by sort_order, cd.categories_name"); $cat_subs = array(); foreach($categories_start as $key => $value) { if(strstr($key, '_' . $parentID . '_E')) { $cat_subs[$parentID][] = substr($key, 2, strpos($key, "_", 2) - 2); } } // if (!isset($_GET['cPath'])) { foreach ($cat_subs[$parentID] as $v) { //$categories = tep_db_fetch_array($categories_query) $categories = $categories_start['S_' . $v . '_' . $parentID . '_E']; if ($start_path == "") { $grouppath = $categories['categories_id']; } else { $grouppath = $start_path . "_" . $categories['categories_id']; } $cPath_new = 'cPath=' . $grouppath; $categories_string = tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, $cPath_new); $totalitemsincategory = tep_count_products_in_category($categories['categories_id']); $count_string = ''; if ((SHOW_COUNTS == 'true') && ($totalitemsincategory > 0) ){ $count_string = ' (' . $totalitemsincategory . ')'; } if (cssMenu_ShowCategory($cssMenuConfig['ShowEmptyCategories'], $totalitemsincategory)) { $returnval .= "

".$categories['categories_name'].$count_string."

\n"; } if (array_key_exists($categories['categories_id'], $categories_subs)) { //tep_has_category_subcategories($categories['categories_id']) $returnval .= PrintSubMenus( $categories['categories_id'], $languageID, $start_path ); if ( $cssMenuConfig['includeProducts'] ) { $returnval .= PrintProducts($categories['categories_id'],$categories_string, false, $languageID); } } else { if ( $cssMenuConfig['includeProducts'] ) { $returnval .= PrintProducts($categories['categories_id'],$categories_string, true, $languageID); } } if (cssMenu_ShowCategory($cssMenuConfig['ShowEmptyCategories'], $totalitemsincategory)) { $returnval .= "

"; } } // } if ( !$cssMenuConfig['includeProducts'] ) { $returnval .= "

"; } if ($parentID == 0) $returnval .= "

"; return $returnval; } function cssMenu_ShowCategory( $switch, $products) { if ( $switch == 1 ) { return true; } else { if ($products > 0) { return true; } else { return false; } } } ?>

• 2 months later...

This is actually a very good css menu system, simple, clean and easy to modify. I've just read through this forum, there are a few features requested often but not yet addressed. I installed and modified this menu for my own use, and happend to figure out how to make the parent menu item stay put(remain selected color and style) when the mouse pointer moves to the next level of the menu structure. I would like to share this modifications here for those who are inteseted. The logic could easily apply to other css menu systems as well.

(Backup before apply any changes).

1. Inside the style section, before these code:

.suckerdiv ul li a:hover{
background-color: yellow;
color: black;
text-decoration: none;
}

Add these code:

/* hlb */
.suckerdiv ul li a.current,
.suckerdiv ul li ul li a.current,
.suckerdiv ul li ul li ul li a.current{background-color:yellow; color:black; text-decoration:none;}
/* hle */

2. Inside the script section, immediately below this line:

this.getElementsByTagName("ul")[0].style.display="block"

add this line:

this.getElementsByTagName("a")[0].className += " current" //hl

And immediately below this line:

this.getElementsByTagName("ul")[0].style.display="none"

add this line:

this.getElementsByTagName("a")[0].className=this.getElementsByTagName("a")[0].className.replace(new RegExp(" current\\b"), "") //hl

This should make a menu item keep its selected color when the mouse points to its children items. Some people concern about the menu speed, that indeed could be an issue. If you have a lot of categories and products, you would turn off product count, but merely set SHOW_COUNTS to false isn't enough, it is just not showing the counts, but still counting the products in every category. You can make the following modification to change this behavior.

Inside PrintSubMenus function, find this line:

$totalitemsincategory = tep_count_products_in_category($categories['categories_id']);

replace it with these lines:

//hlb count only when needed
$totalitemsincategory = 0;
if (SHOW_COUNTS == 'true') { 
 $totalitemsincategory = tep_count_products_in_category($categories['categories_id']);
}
//hle

Now you are really not counting.

Great contribution, I like it. Thank you Roger and others.

Edited by harrynotpotter

• 3 weeks later...

I am having a problem with making this CSS menu work with my sts template. The sub menu is going behind every other object. As you can see in the screen shot below. I tried putting z-index in the stylesheet but it didn't help. Can anyone please help me to solve this problem.

item.jpg?rot=1

i am having the same issue as this.

my site is catfood.com.au/index.php

any help would be great, using STS

thanks

Ben

Hi,

go to your templates stylesheet (.css file)

see the section of code bellow, you may have different code but overflow in that code needs t be changed.

div#column_left {

position: relative;

float: left;

width: 190px;

padding: 0px 0px 10px 0px;

min-height: 300px;

overflow: hidden;

}

change the overflow: hidden;

change it to following.

overflow: visible;

That should fix your pop out menu problem. Let me know if you need more help and I will be happy to help you.

• 1 month later...

If you are getting an error like this, you need to change the <? tags in the categories_css.php file to <?php

Older php versions support the shorter tag, but newer ones do not.

0 ) { $returnval .= "

"; } if ( $productsDisplay > $cssMenuConfig['maxProductsInMenu'] ) { $productsDisplay=$cssMenuConfig['maxProductsInMenu']; $addMore= true; } $count_string = ''; if (SHOW_COUNTS == 'true') { if ($totalitemsincategory > 0) { $count_string = ' (' . $totalitemsincategory . ')'; } } $i=0; while ($i < $productsDisplay) { $products = tep_db_fetch_array($products_query); $product_query = tep_db_query("select products_name from products_description where products_id = " . $products['products_id'] . " AND language_id = ".$languageID ); $product = tep_db_fetch_array($product_query); $returnval .= "

"; } return $returnval; } function PrintSubMenus( $parentID, $languageID, $start_path ){ global $cssMenuConfig, $categories_subs, $categories_start; $returnval = ''; if (($start_path == '') && ($parentID > 0)) { $start_path = $parentID; } else { if ($parentID > 0) $start_path .= "_" . $parentID; } if ($parentID != 0) { $returnval .= "

"; $returnval .= "

"; } // $categories_query = tep_db_query("select c.categories_id, cd.categories_name, c.parent_id from " . TABLE_CATEGORIES . " c, " . TABLE_CATEGORIES_DESCRIPTION . " cd where c.parent_id = '".$parentID."' and c.categories_id = cd.categories_id and cd.language_id='" . (int)$languageID ."' order by sort_order, cd.categories_name"); $cat_subs = array(); foreach($categories_start as $key => $value) { if(strstr($key, '_' . $parentID . '_E')) { $cat_subs[$parentID][] = substr($key, 2, strpos($key, "_", 2) - 2); } } // if (!isset($_GET['cPath'])) { foreach ($cat_subs[$parentID] as $v) { //$categories = tep_db_fetch_array($categories_query) $categories = $categories_start['S_' . $v . '_' . $parentID . '_E']; if ($start_path == "") { $grouppath = $categories['categories_id']; } else { $grouppath = $start_path . "_" . $categories['categories_id']; } $cPath_new = 'cPath=' . $grouppath; $categories_string = tep_href_link(FILENAME_DEFAULT, $cPath_new); $totalitemsincategory = tep_count_products_in_category($categories['categories_id']); $count_string = ''; if ((SHOW_COUNTS == 'true') && ($totalitemsincategory > 0) ){ $count_string = ' (' . $totalitemsincategory . ')'; } if (cssMenu_ShowCategory($cssMenuConfig['ShowEmptyCategories'], $totalitemsincategory)) { $returnval .= "

\n"; } if (array_key_exists($categories['categories_id'], $categories_subs)) { //tep_has_category_subcategories($categories['categories_id']) $returnval .= PrintSubMenus( $categories['categories_id'], $languageID, $start_path ); if ( $cssMenuConfig['includeProducts'] ) { $returnval .= PrintProducts($categories['categories_id'],$categories_string, false, $languageID); } } else { if ( $cssMenuConfig['includeProducts'] ) { $returnval .= PrintProducts($categories['categories_id'],$categories_string, true, $languageID); } } if (cssMenu_ShowCategory($cssMenuConfig['ShowEmptyCategories'], $totalitemsincategory)) { $returnval .= "

"; return $returnval; } function cssMenu_ShowCategory( $switch, $products) { if ( $switch == 1 ) { return true; } else { if ($products > 0) { return true; } else { return false; } } } ?>

• 4 months later...

0 ) { $returnval .= "

"; $returnval .= "

I not sure if you fixed this already... Anyway in this case all tags <?php>(think in file there are something about 3 or 4 separate tags <?php....?>)must be only one .... what you have to do is place the CSS configuration and the script after or before the ?php tags... hope this helps anyone else

Hi,

go to your templates stylesheet (.css file)

see the section of code bellow, you may have different code but overflow in that code needs t be changed.

div#column_left {

position: relative;

float: left;

width: 190px;

padding: 0px 0px 10px 0px;

min-height: 300px;

overflow: hidden;

}

change the overflow: hidden;

change it to following.

overflow: visible;

That should fix your pop out menu problem. Let me know if you need more help and I will be happy to help you.

Hi Sahil I'm having this problem.... I didn't find any div related to the left_colum or something like that ... here is an example http://www.artigosdcorart.com.br/loja/product_info.php?cPath=83_16_90&products_id=842....

Please let me know if you can help me thanks!

Hi Sahil I'm having this problem.... I didn't find any div related to the left_colum or something like that ... here is an example http://www.artigosdcorart.com.br/loja/product_info.php?cPath=83_16_90&products_id=842....

Please let me know if you can help me thanks!

Hi problem solved

--- in your css code find ---:

.suckerdiv ul li ul{

---Add before }---

z-index:2;

in my code this is what I have:

/*1st level sub menu style */

.suckerdiv ul li ul{

left: 199px; /* Parent menu width - 1*/

position:absolute;

width: 200px; /*sub menu width*/

top:0;

display:none;

z-index:2;

Thanks God!

• 1 month later...

I have installed CSS Menu with STS - the popouts are not working.

This is the page:

http://www.motorcycleworkshop.com.au/catalog/

and this is the css:

/* css menu mod */

.suckerdiv ul{

margin: 0;

padding: 0;

list-style-type: none;

width: 200px; /* Width of Menu Items */

border-bottom: 1px solid #ccc;

font-family: arial;

font-size: 11px;