The e-commerce.

CSS Menu

fear4me

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I have a problem with this menu when used with STS and templates for infoboxes.

The problem is, it only looks for infobox.php.html. If I want to specify different infoboxes, such as infobox_categories.php.html, it will still only try and look for infobox.php.html.

Any suggestions?

hi All,

I am having a problem with IE7 with gaps appearing between the menu list items .. This makes it impossible to navigate through menu sub-items as the sub menu disappear when rolling from item to item.

I see little mention of IE7 issues in this forum but see advice to add the line below to the /* menu links style */ section of CSS Menu..

overflow: auto; /*force hasLayout in IE7 */

I will check this tomorrow when I get access to an IE7 enabled machine.

Any assistance welcome thanks.

Has anybody at all gotten this to work with STS using templates for infoboxes? Not just the default index or infobox template... for example, specifically using catalog/includes/sts_templates/mytemplates/boxes/infobox_categories.php.html ?

Hello All,

A great contribution for formatting the menu however I have run into a problem which I need some help with. When you have the option to display products in menu switched on the products display OK, however if you view a product via the menu it removes all the items already in your shopping cart. This will be really annoying to customers i'm sure.

I know one option is to disable product listing, however it is a really good feature for a small store so I would like to find a coding solution.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Hello All,

A great contribution for formatting the menu however I have run into a problem which I need some help with. When you have the option to display products in menu switched on the products display OK, however if you view a product via the menu it removes all the items already in your shopping cart. This will be really annoying to customers i'm sure.

I know one option is to disable product listing, however it is a really good feature for a small store so I would like to find a coding solution.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Woa! Same thing happens with my site. I never noticed this before! I'll have to turn that off until it can be fixed.

It seems to be to do with the following bit of code being missing from the end of the product links in the menu ... "osCsid=a83bdc645a395daa7977f14a8fb010f5". If you go to a product through the normal route then this is included.

It is strange that the category links in the menu do include this link ending. Can this part of the coding be duplicated for the products??

Cheers :)

• 3 weeks later...

I really want to install this contrib but have a problem with this step

* Search in /catalog/includes/column_left.php for:

include(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'categories.php');

Replace this line with:

include(DIR_WS_BOXES . 'categories_css.php');

Because in my column_left.php file i have this code

<?php

/*

$Id: column_left.php,v 1.13 2002/06/16 22:08:05 lango Exp $

osCommerce, Open Source E-Commerce Solutions

http://www.oscommerce.com

Copyright © 2002 osCommerce

Released under the GNU General Public License

*/

$column_query = tep_db_query('select configuration_column as cfgcol, configuration_title as cfgtitle, configuration_value as cfgvalue, configuration_key as cfgkey, box_heading from ' . TABLE_THEME_CONFIGURATION . ' order by location');

while ($column = tep_db_fetch_array($column_query)) {

$column['cfgtitle'] = str_replace(' ', '_', $column['cfgtitle']);

$column['cfgtitle'] = str_replace("'", '', $column['cfgtitle']);

if ( ($column[cfgvalue] == 'yes') && ($column[cfgcol] == 'left')) {

define($column['cfgkey'],$column['box_heading']);

if ( file_exists(DIR_WS_BOXES . $column['cfgtitle'] . '.php') ) {

require(DIR_WS_BOXES . $column['cfgtitle'] . '.php');

}

}

}

?>

Please help :)

any help please :) ?

Since you work with STS or another version of osCommerce besides the standard version, this php-file has been changed. As I look to your code you have to change 'categories' somewhere in your configuration.

Hi all, I really like this menu contribution; however, I noticed a problem with the database query counts that this menu causes, and I thought I would share it. I probably should have posted it here first, but I went ahead and posted it to the contribution page:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,4589

If it doesn't affect you, then you don't have to worry, but if I had the problem, then I'm sure that a lot of you might also have it without realizing it.

The category menu makes a certain amount of database queries to count products, get product titles, etc, but I found an unusual number of db queries being made (I had over 2500) on each and every page refresh! So, I commented out some lines on the menu, and got it down to about 250, which is still high but not nearly as high as before; page loads are also down by about 75%. (Just so you know, if you install the original oscommerce stock files, straight from the zip file, your pages will have about 100 queries or less. Certain mods will increase that). If you are on a shared server, you MUST take a look at this, because this can cause problems to your site, as well as others on the server(i.e. hosting companies like ipowerweb, who throttle the db queries, also called "max questions"). A company like that will actually suspend your account if you take too many resources away from others.

So, after the commented code is uploaded, the menu functions perfectly normal on my site, nothing has been changed, no links broken, everything looks just like it did before. However, a few things to take note of: It's a big hit to your page loading time to have "category counts" turned on in your admin->configuration, so turn that off. Also, don't have the "show products" option in the menu turned on, because that slows everything down as well. (These are just my opinions, if you like it on, keep it on). So, everyone who has this mod installed, go to the contribution page and search for "queries debug" and install it. It will tell you how many db queries you are using on each page refresh, as well as help you optimizing your page. Then, install the fix that I uploaded, and see if it makes a big difference. Hopefully, you will all see a nice improvement like I did. All credit to the creators of this and Chemo for his queries debug mod.

How many looks does it take till you get to the centre of the.....?

Thanks zombie master. That made a massive difference to the speed of my site. It eliminated a whole page full of database queries. Now the next item on the optimization is to get rid of the tax queries.

ZoMBiE the code doesnt work without this string:

$totalitemsincategory = tep_count_products_in_category($categories['categories_id']);

the file you got have:

$totalitemsincategory = '';

But I dont really think I see any difference. Although I cant check the database queries now.

Works for me both in IE7 and Firefox 2. Clearly we are not attempting to drill down to product level or you would need the extra queries.

The number of products in the category is not required to build a category menu. My query count came down from 200 to less than 50 with these changes.

ZoMBiE the code doesnt work without this string:

$totalitemsincategory = tep_count_products_in_category($categories['categories_id']);

the file you got have:

$totalitemsincategory = '';

But I dont really think I see any difference. Although I cant check the database queries now.

I'm not the greatest PHP programmer, but I will assume that if it doesn't work after commenting or changing that line above, it's because you have the "show products" option on, or have the category counts on. Regardless, for me (and most others I hope) the total items count in a category is useless because if it slows down a customer from shopping on the site, then he might just leave, and that's the point, making the customer happy.

The only line that is really important to the menu that can't be changed is:

$returnval .= PrintSubMenus( $categories['categories_id'], $languageID, $start_path );

and that's only if you use submenu's. My site is really big, so I have to show them all. If I could change that, I would lose about 200 db queries (!!) but I can't do it.

anyway, here's hoping it works for a lot of you, it really is a big change.

Hey Radders, nice going on the queries, if you need the tax queries lowered, there's this contribution here:

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,2417

It works great. Good luck people.

1. is there any mysql guru to try to improve the queries , and make it work as the stock categories box , maybe with css it s not possible to have the same way ..

2. on the last version there is still the losing cart problem wehn enable show product :-( i think we could look at other dhmtl menu in osc contribution to see if there is any idea

MS2