• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Help - Shipping not being taxed

cdamianou

Hi

I can?t seem to resolve a small problem I seem to have.

I have tax/vat configured on my site and it works fine. However it is not taxing the postage. Has anyone got an idea how I can get the tax added to both the Subtotal and Postage?

Here is an example of one of my invoices.

Sub-Total: ?26.98

Tax: ?4.02

UK Recorded Delivery (Plus FREE Postage to GB : 0 kg(s)): ?0.68

Total: ?27.66

Your help is much appreciated.

DeadDingo

If you are not charging tax on shipping you are in serious trouble if the tax man decides to look into your books.

If you sell an item and it is not taxable like a book and you charge postage the postage is not taxable, however if you sell an item that is taxable and you charge postage, the postgae is taxable.

This applied 100% to the United Kingdom not sure about other countries.

• 2 weeks later...
Sub-Total: ?26.98

Tax: ?4.02

UK Recorded Delivery (Plus FREE Postage to GB : 0 kg(s)): ?0.68

Total: ?27.66

Your help is much appreciated.

The sort order for your Tax is before shipping charge according to what you show above, and That's why. go to Admin -> modules -> order total and set the sort order for Tax just before Total.

HTH

Ken

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

Thanks GemRtone

I have changed the sort order as you suggested and now it shows fine, however the postage is not included in the tax calculation. Here is an example.

Sub-Total: ?24.99

UK Special Delivery (Postage to GB : 0 kg(s)): ?4.00

Tax: ?3.72

Total: ?28.99

I also have the tax class set for this shipping as well.

Thanks in advance

You may also need to set up UK 'zone' and its relevant properties as well at the admin's location/taxes section. In the UK, the TAX: should normally be replaced with: 'VAT @17.5%:' description.

Ken

Thanks GemRtone

I have changed the sort order as you suggested and now it shows fine, however the postage is not included in the tax calculation. Here is an example.

Sub-Total: ?24.99

UK Special Delivery (Postage to GB : 0 kg(s)): ?4.00

Tax: ?3.72

Total: ?28.99

I also have the tax class set for this shipping as well.

Thanks in advance

commercial support - unProtected channel, not to be confused with the forum with same name - open to everyone who need some professional help: either PM/email me, or go to my website (URL can be found in my profile).

over 20 years of computer programming experience.

Archived