• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Image sub-folder, Thumbnail, and Easy Populate

MagickWomyn

I'm looking for insight into image contributions that support sub-directories. I've seen 2 so far and both are older contribs. One is simply creating image sub-folders. The second one creates sub-folders according to your categories. (Image sub-folder support and Category and Images tree)

My questions are:

Can I use either one of these with a thumbnail program and also will Easy Populate support the Image

sub-folders?

Is there a particular order to install so everything works together?

I'm thinking the order should be:

1 - Image subfolders

2 - Thumbnail

3 - Easy Populate.

Is anyone using such a setup for images?

Thanks for your help!

I'm looking for insight into image contributions that support sub-directories. I've seen 2 so far and both are older contribs. One is simply creating image sub-folders. The second one creates sub-folders according to your categories. (Image sub-folder support and Category and Images tree)

My questions are:

Can I use either one of these with a thumbnail program and also will Easy Populate support the Image

sub-folders?

Is there a particular order to install so everything works together?

I'm thinking the order should be:

1 - Image subfolders

2 - Thumbnail

3 - Easy Populate.

Is anyone using such a setup for images?

Thanks for your help!

IMO the admin page of OSC is just not designed to add more the one product at a time and for most people thats a big disadvantage. I now no longer use the admin page to do this. If you are going to use EPop it's a simple enough job to avoide it, try this;

Add the paths to images in the import file and use something to place the images in those paths.

Handy hint for using EPop, if you sort all you images in the right folders and paths on your local PC and use the DIR command it with create a list of all files in those folders. - Say you had 500 images in a folder, you either type it all in by hand or you would get a list of all that you just copy and past into the the image column in the EPop file. The command is dir/b > dir.txt (think I got the switch right B). This would result in all the paths to the each image listed in a file could dir.txt in the folder you use the command. I use the handy short cut program DOSHERE to move around quicker from folder to folder.

Now on to the main subject images and subfolders, the way I get around that is to combine OSC and Gallery2 Open Source program. I set the images path in configure.php to the root path of gallery2. Something like this;

define('DIR_WS_IMAGES', './1/2/albums'); //think of each sub-folder as an album

I use G2 to upload all my images and to do simple editing and to make thumbnails if needed. It's very handy seeing all your images listed in a gallery format and means you can manipulate quicker. I just make the the main folder albums is the default images, the you make albums for icons, banners etc replication the images folder on your server. When all that is working and the main osc images of showing you then replicate the folders on you local pc where you images are making albums for each sub-folder. It's all very easy as when you've made the album to add the images you just click add image - add inmage from web site, folder, google etc. The program then lists all the image found at that location and you just tick the boxes for the images you want. The images are upload into the album (your sub-folder) and the thumbnail are generated too (I don't use thumbnails so yo'll need to sort that side out).

See the images on www.football4sale.co.uk/index.php right click to see the paths. The site is not gone live yet.

Hope that helps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OSC user for years and no coder, so I've earned my stripes.

Feel free to private message me.

This could be a solution, but I'm also looking for a way to add through the admin if necessary. I was also hoping to use sample products to setup the EP file with subfolders already in them. Using that, I would be able to plug in the right path for additions. Does that make sense?