• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Noob question concerning metatags for search engines

weezy

hello. i am trying to get on the search engines however someone told me i have to use metatags because search engines like yahoo scan thru metatags. Can someone point out to me the simplest metatag contribution that would allow me to put in keywords for the search engines? thanks

You don't put keywords in search engines.

The is a conrib to help you but it's a lot better to do it yourself.

I would advice you to search on "search engine optimisation" and follow the advice given there.

Search engines use many ways to rate your site but the key to kewords is to have as many of the keywords as possible on your frontpage, in your title, in your description, in your links within your site, in links to other sites and on other sites to your site. The value of the words are also determined by the type of font H1, H2, H3 etc and even there position on your site and the sites that link into to yours.

Yes, it's complicated but wait it gets more so because if you use a keywords too many times you might trip and spaming trigger and have marks taken away :-)

You first step is to decide what keyword or phase most people will use when search for products you sell. Then is you can, use that in the title of your site if not the domain name, closer to the begining as possible.

Edited by driftwood

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OSC user for years and no coder, so I've earned my stripes.

Feel free to private message me.

The is a conrib to help you but it's a lot better to do it yourself.
This is not so. You can't do it yourself unless you know php coding, which is what the contributions have done for you.
Search engines use many ways to rate your site but the key to kewords is to have as many of the keywords as possible on your frontpage
This is very wrong. Most sites cannot handle more than three keywords on a page. If the text on the page doesn't support the keywords, you are wasting effort and dragging down whatever gain other keywords might get you.

Daniel - The best way to do this is to install a meta tags contribution. Header Tags, in my opinion, does the best job but others say cDynamic Meta Tags is better. Don't bother with the other variations since they are just subsets of Header Tags. Setting up your page properly for the search engines is not something you want to make a half an effort at. If you do it properly, you will be in the top ten for your chosen keywords, in most cases.

Jack

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons