• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can anyone suggest a suitable solution

baronmunchowsen

I may have been staring the answer to this one in the face, but I can't see the answer for the trees!!!

I want to ship to US and Canada using table rate (increments of postage in correlation with price). Canada has to have a surcharge.

I have installed 2 'table rate' modules to accomplish this - one for US and one for Canada (the one with canada has the surcharge in the 'handling fee', US has no 'handling fee')

How do I stop/deny people from outside of US or Canada from getting past the first page in 'Checkout' - the shipping page. I already have a warning there saying 'We only ship to US & Canada', but if people from say, botswana click 'continue' they still get past the shipping page and can pay for their goods!

Any suggestions and advice most welcome!!!! HELP!!

Thanks

I may have been staring the answer to this one in the face, but I can't see the answer for the trees!!!

I want to ship to US and Canada using table rate (increments of postage in correlation with price). Canada has to have a surcharge.

I have installed 2 'table rate' modules to accomplish this - one for US and one for Canada (the one with canada has the surcharge in the 'handling fee', US has no 'handling fee')

How do I stop/deny people from outside of US or Canada from getting past the first page in 'Checkout' - the shipping page. I already have a warning there saying 'We only ship to US & Canada', but if people from say, botswana click 'continue' they still get past the shipping page and can pay for their goods!

Any suggestions and advice most welcome!!!! HELP!!

Thanks

why not just remove the other countries, so that only USA and Canada are available.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. The only problem I have with that solution is what if 3 years down the track we want to start shipping to Europe. How simple is it to add countries after they've been removed?

If it's a matter of a few hours work to plug the countries back in then that's cool.

Actually, I could just take a copy of the database table with the countries in it, and then reload it if and when we want to ship around the world.(?)

Am I worried about nothing?

Thanks

exactly the way to go. but you do not even have to take that backup.

OsCommerce has the full database file in the install folder ... oscommerce.sql

save that file in a very good spot, it has the whole countries table.

NEVER add countries via the admin panel, always copy the relevant line from the oscommerce.sql file and insert it via phpmyadmin. That will keep your ids matching the settings in the zones table or any other table relying on them.

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

exactly the way to go. but you do not even have to take that backup.

OsCommerce has the full database file in the install folder ... oscommerce.sql

save that file in a very good spot, it has the whole countries table.

NEVER add countries via the admin panel, always copy the relevant line from the oscommerce.sql file and insert it via phpmyadmin. That will keep your ids matching the settings in the zones table or any other table relying on them.

Should I delete directly from the countries table, using oscommerce, or does it not matter??

Hi Olly,

if you only need a few entries, the quickest way is to empty the countries table (do a backup of the whole database in osC admin panel first) in phpmyadmin, and insert only those few lines from the script that you need. Joins to the zones will be automatically created, no need to touch the zones table.

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...