• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Return from PP - The Final Word?

decafe98

I have read the forums and am now more confused and concerned than before.

While sandboxing I have experienced the often described problems of a user not returning to osC.

As a tester in the sandbox I have gone to PP and told it I did not hold an account and then processed the order using fictional credit card info. The problem is that when the payment is processed Paypal seems to try to entice the user to sign up for a PP account and the tiny print about returning to the catalog site is easily missed.

From what I can tell this doesn't have any adverse effects that I can't deal with except that it throughs inventory out of kilter.

1) What is the final verdict in ensuring that the user does return to the catalog?

2) Are there other negative effects resulting from a user not returning from PP that I am overlooking?

TIA

Deadra

there are several issues with the current paypal modules ...

the standard one does not prerecord orders so no entry is in the database, so email with products orders sent and the cart not emptied if the customer doesn't return

the paypal IPN does prerecord the order, so you will have all info ... still it doesn't send the email and doesn't empty the cart if your customer doesn't return. I've posted a fix for the cart issue a few days ago, so you should be able to search for it

the 3rd issue is that while you can cancel a payment you have received from your paypal admin, there is no option to read then IPN message to cancel your order in osC

other than these, all is well :-) ... I think!

:-)

Monika

addicted to writing code ... can't get enough of databases either, LOL!

my toolbox: Textpad - Compare and Merge - phpMyAdmin - WS_FTP - Photoshop - How to search the forum

Interactive Media Award July 2007 ~ category E-Commerce

my advice on the forum is for free, PMs where you send me work are considered consultation which I charge for ...

Thanks for the response Monika.

I do have the PP_IPN v1.3 installed and it works fine. I didn't mention that in my previous post for that very reason.

Perhaps you answered my question in your reply and I am too dense to see it. My need is to ensure that customers are auto returned to osC after a PP payment.

I looked for your post but couldn't find a solution for this.

Have any of the experienced users thought about all of the bonus points they would get for making a straightforward tutorial on how to set this thing up and then putting a sticky on it? I love the fact that a forum is offered but my gosh, when there are a gazillion posts it defeats the purpose.

there are several issues with the current paypal modules ...

the standard one does not prerecord orders so no entry is in the database, so email with products orders sent and the cart not emptied if the customer doesn't return

the paypal IPN does prerecord the order, so you will have all info ... still it doesn't send the email and doesn't empty the cart if your customer doesn't return. I've posted a fix for the cart issue a few days ago, so you should be able to search for it

the 3rd issue is that while you can cancel a payment you have received from your paypal admin, there is no option to read then IPN message to cancel your order in osC

other than these, all is well :-) ... I think!

I would any info regarding this. Several times I day I have to tell a customer to go back and check out again. It's annoying and time consuming and makes me look stupid for not having an easier checkout. <_<

I no longer use paypal but reduced this problem by adding a message to the checkout.

I just looked and it seems I changed the checkout_Confirmation.php

define('HEADING_TITLE', 'IMPORTANT NOTICE - You are about to be taken to the paypal payment site. After making payment at paypal please wait to be returned back to our our site and then click the Continue button on the Success page. This will process your order cleanly, failure to do so could result in your order being delayed because the order process has not completed fully. Please confirm you are ready to make payment by checking your order and clicking The Confirm Order button.');

You can format that with basic html tags and change it to your needs, but forgive me if you have already thought of this.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

OSC user for years and no coder, so I've earned my stripes.

Feel free to private message me.