• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

pbpBB2 and osC shared account creation

anderskiel

It needs serious re-write to support separated db.

what files do i need to alter in forum files to direct it to oscommerce db so it uses the same db not seperate dbs?

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank, you need to copy all phpbb tables to your osCommerce database, with the default 'phpbb_' prefix. Then modify your phpbb2/config.php and change the db settings.

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

Before you start to move phpbb2 database, please read this Knowledge Base - How to move a phpBB 2.0.x board to a new server. It will make the job much easier.

Edited by AlexStudio

Super Download Shop, PayPal Express Checkout IPN, Selling Downloads, Visual Validation (preventing robotic flood), phpBB2 Integration

Yes, I'm willing to help, but please ask in the right place. Think twice before trying to PM me, it might be ignored.

Frank, you need to copy all phpbb tables to your osCommerce database, with the default 'phpbb_' prefix. Then modify your phpbb2/config.php and change the db settings.

<?php

$dbms = 'mysql' ;

$dbhost = 'localhost' ;

$dbname = 'craftyli_phpb1' ;

$dbuser = 'craftyli_phpb1' ;

$dbpasswd = '**********' ;

$table_prefix = 'phpbb_' ;

define ( 'PHPBB_INSTALLED' , TRUE ) ;

?>

is this the bit your talking about? so if my store db is called craftyli_osc1. does this need to go into $dbname & $dbuser? what about the $dbpasswd does this change to the same password for craftyli_osc1? does anything else needs changing?

Frank, make sure you read my last post and the link to the phpbb2 knowledge base, and 'copy' your phpbb tables to your osCommerce database.

You can find your osCommerce database info in the file craftstore/includes/configure.php.

• 3 weeks later...

Alex…..

First may I say, after 2 years of working with OsC and investigating more contributions than I care to remember….NEVER, have I seen a better presented installation guide.

You seem to have put almost as much effort into this aspect as you have the contribution itself.

Congratulations on a job well done.

With so much info made available I’m embarrassed to admit I still have a question or two.

Our site is membership based.

I have used Contribution Member_Approval_v1.5_1 (http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1339/category,all/search,Member_Approval_v1.5_1) to enable us to approve of all applications before they can purchase or view selected “Members Only” pages.

We also have phpBB 2.0.18 installed and have configured it so that only registered members can view any forum. I’ve done this via the groups function.

All new member applicants must apply via the OsC create_account.php page first.

Once approved, we then ask them to apply to join our forum.

Approval is automatic of course but in our control.

Quite obviously, this is not a very satisfactory method.

Your contribution almost has our name on it as just what the doctor ordered.

But….. At the bottom of your instructions you write…..

The account activation and Visual Confirmation features in phpbb forum have no chance to work since all new accounts are created in osCommerce.”

Visual confirmation is of little interest but account activation is vital.

I fail to see how your other contribution, “mail validation” will assist us.

I’m trying to visualise the result of your contribution.

Do you see any conflict with our member approval process?

If no, would approval in OsC automatically approve them for phpBB?

It’s imperative that members of the public cannot follow a link to the forum so only registered members can view the forums.

Would this function still work?

Lastly, how important is the relative path between OsC and phpBB?

Our main site is mydomain.net.au

Our forum is mydomain.net.au/forum/

I have created a subdomain of test.mydomain.net.au

The test forum is therefore test.mydomain.net.au/forum

This sub domain uses two separate databases from the main site.

I install all new contributions here first and once they work, copy entire files across to the main site.

Can you see any possible hiccups using this procedure with your contribution?

Lastly…since both phpBB and Osc now share one database, how do I transfer existing info from our current phpBB database into the new one or will we have to start from scratch and lose all 3300 existing articles?

I think our members would be decidedly unimpressed if this were the case.

There’s a lot of info in those forums.

Can we discuss these issues please?

Help me to understand?

I’m really looking forward to getting started in installing your contrib..

I’d just like to dot the I’s first and make sure it’s what we need.

Do you see any conflict with our member approval process?
I'm not familiar with the Membership Approval contribution you're using, I have no idea.
If no, would approval in OsC automatically approve them for phpBB?
In this contribution, all customer accounts are created in osCommerce. If the account is not activated, the customer won't be able to login to either side.

It’s imperative that members of the public cannot follow a link to the forum so only registered members can view the forums.

Would this function still work?

I don't know how you managed this fuction to work in your store, I can't tell.

Lastly, how important is the relative path between OsC and phpBB?

Our main site is mydomain.net.au

Our forum is mydomain.net.au/forum/

This setup will work with sessions/cookies setting adjusted, but the fast login box in phpBB might not work.

Lastly…since both phpBB and Osc now share one database, how do I transfer existing info from our current phpBB database into the new one or will we have to start from scratch and lose all 3300 existing articles?
Please search in the last couple of pages this thread regarding moving database.

I'm not familiar with the Membership Approval contribution you're using, I have no idea.

Fair enough.

I'll suck it and see.

This setup will work with sessions/cookies setting adjusted, but the fast login box in phpBB might not work.

This suggests to me that what I have in mind is not the ideal.

What would a better way to set it up be, if any?

Please search in the last couple of pages this thread regarding moving database.

Thankyou

I read all 10 pages of this thread prior to posting but I must admit by page 7 I was skimming.

I missed it.

Got it now.

Thank you for your time.

When I tried to login to your site, I got a strange parameter in the URL:

$
login_action......

Is that '$' (dollar sign) supposed to be there?

Gerald, there is something wrong with your sessions/cookies setting. You can see the problem simply by logging in to your store, and then in the upcoming page (i.e. index.php) remove the trailing '?osCsid=xxxxxx...' in the URL line and load that page again, you're not logged in anymore.

• 2 months later...
Gerald, there is something wrong with your sessions/cookies setting. You can see the problem simply by logging in to your store, and then in the upcoming page (i.e. index.php) remove the trailing '?osCsid=xxxxxx...' in the URL line and load that page again, you're not logged in anymore.

I would agree with you that this contrib is really good. However, I seem to be having the same problem with cookies. In oscommerce, I modified one of the session parameters to "force cookie use". I did this to determine what might be going on with cookies. As a result, I get a warning page saying that cookies are not enabled in the browser. I checked and both IE and Firefox have cookies enabled. So, I think the problem is in the configuration of Oscommerce itself.

I checked the cookie path and it looks fine. I'm not sure what I need to check next or how to debug this further.

Any assistance would be helpful.

• 1 month later...
Our site is membership based.

I have used Contribution Member_Approval_v1.5_1 (http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1339/category,all/search,Member_Approval_v1.5_1) to enable us to approve of all applications before they can purchase or view selected “Members Only” pages.

You replied

In this contribution, all customer accounts are created in osCommerce. If the account is not activated, the customer won't be able to login to either side.

Purely to let you know....Your contribution and Member Approval work together beautifully and with no modification required

Everything now installed, and first impressions are that everything is working as it should.

I've had a couple of issues but the first rule of installing contributions got me out of trouble.

"If all else fails, re-read the instructions"

Works 99 times out of 100.

Alex....just a couple of questions please.

Am I missing something? or is there no way to edit the forum username?

Its not in account_edit or profile.php.

I realise its not usually an option in a standard PhpBB installation but I was wondering if you knew of any reason for this?

How hard would it be to add it into catalog/account_edit?

Also, it would be very useful to have at least a read-only field for username in admin/customers.php

Before I go hacking in my usual manner, can you assist in any way?

I think that message boards don't like changing usernames, and most of them don't allow it at all. Of course it is possible to be editable. I usually modify the username directly in phpMyAdmin, didn't think it worth of coding. In admin/customers.php you need to query the username from TABLE_PHPBB_USERS, there is a column 'username'.

• 1 month later...

What's going on Alex,

I just spent a very long hot afternoon installing PhpMyAdmin to run a small, then a couple more hours making sure I installed the Integration patch properly. I'm finally at the end and I can't login to the store or the board. Any idea what could be wrong?

What did you get when you tried to login to the store? Edited by AlexStudio

I think there must be something wrong with your installation. Your server maybe blocking the error messages so you got blank pages.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've installed this successfully locally (with one exception). I'm running OSC060817, PHPBB 2.0.22, PHP 5, MySQL 5. Accounts are created successfully in both (OSC and Forum) but when I try and login - the page just refreshes. It does not log me in to either the store or the Forum. I cannot get past the login page.

Any ideas??

thanks!

Jason

This may not work locally. Please test it on remote server via internet connection and see it if works.

Does this mod work if phpBB is already integrated with Gallery 2?

I will be setting up a store for action and adventure products. I want my customers to log journals about their adventures, trade advice and post pictures.

It would be nice if there was one log in.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I just installed this awesome contribution! Im having one trouble with it though... When I login from the store and navigate to the forums, i realize it hasnt logged me in on the forums. When I login on the forums (after i logoff from the store) it logs me into both places... Whats goin on here?

Thanks for all the help!

Paul