• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[CONTRIB] UK Royal Mail & Overseas Shipping Methods

Indeed I just added to the handling fee, and that's worked well.

I noted I couldn't just add another version of 'airmail' shipping module straight away, almost got the code working but not quite!

Mind if I ask what extra modifications you're adding?

Indeed I just added to the handling fee, and that's worked well.

I noted I couldn't just add another version of 'airmail' shipping module straight away, almost got the code working but not quite!

Mind if I ask what extra modifications you're adding?

Will work on duplicating mods tomorrow, as need to update Parcel Force.

I was going to rework all of Stu's excellent mods for my own needs, as we use Royal Mail, Parcel Force and a courrier, for UK (and the amount of choices needed for that), but also europe and world zones 1 and 2. To confuse things more we use PF 9am, 24, 48 and sometimes pallet, so need many versions of each mod. Easily done, just time consuming, if you look in the shipping contributions there is a mod in there to duplicate the zones. Basically all these shipping methods are versions of the zone.

While sinking in the bath, I got to thinking about the UK, Isle of Wight (for courriers) IOM, scottish highlands etc, also for the European mod you needed, if you look on or around line 130 it states

// CUSTOMIZE THIS SETTING FOR THE NUMBER OF ZONES NEEDED

$this->num_zones = 2;

}

change the

$this->num_zones = 2;

to the amount you need,

$this->num_zones = 5;

Does this help you in your quest? Then no need to duplicate the mod.

As above, the UK must be one of the hardest places to sort the shipping tables out for. ANything below 2Kg is fine within the UK, but over 2Kg, a courier is involved and if going overseas it gets even more confusing. Then theres insurances to include, sizes etc etc.

Gone are the days where you could just stick a stamp on it and post it off. Go into one post office and they will charge you x and into another and it costs y.

I sell computer components, and for the light items its not an issue, but a PC or laptop, heavy in weight, high in price, need full insurance, next day delivery etc etc. The only way is courier, shop around theres a few good ones and some bad eggs, but even with couriers there shipping table at times can be confusing.

I will let you explore and see what a minefield the UK shipping can be for you and your customers.

Enjoy.

Stuart

Hi

I wonder if you can help. I am having some problems with my shipping prices at checkout.

Firstly my checkout prices (royal mail special delivery and airmail) are getting rounded up and I don't know how to change this.

Secondly It is saying on checkout that the items are insured for ?2500, i want it to say insured for ?500, any ideas.

Thirdly i need to add insurance to my airmale packages in the form of airsure but I cannot see this option anywhere, will I have to buy a special royal mail module for this.

Hope you can help, I am going loopy.

Thanks

Layla

Hi

I wonder if you can help. I am having some problems with my shipping prices at checkout.

Firstly my checkout prices (royal mail special delivery and airmail) are getting rounded up and I don't know how to change this.

Secondly It is saying on checkout that the items are insured for ?2500, i want it to say insured for ?500, any ideas.

Thirdly i need to add insurance to my airmale packages in the form of airsure but I cannot see this option anywhere, will I have to buy a special royal mail module for this.

Hope you can help, I am going loopy.

Thanks

Layla

If you wish to change the text beside the delivery option, edit the file catalog/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmspecial.php and change the line "define('MODULE_SHIPPING_RMSPECIAL_DELIVERY_TIMES', '(Insured upto ?2,500.00, ships Nextday)');"

If you are not offering the ?2,500 insurance, you might wish to alter the delivery price in the admin section. According to the Royal Mail website, ?2,500 insurance (Compensation for loss or damage) is available for ?5.60. Have a look at this page, (http://www.postoffice.co.uk/portal/po/content1;jsessionid=XS1ZCYWNKMT5QFB2IGFUOSQUHRAYUQ2K?mediaId=19100231&catId=19100178) from Royal Mail for the prices.

I'm afraid I do not know why the prices are being rounded up, but I'll have a look into it.

Regards,

Hi

I found these topics that might help:

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...62&hl=37569 and

http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/index.php?sho...94&hl=37569

I hope you find your answer.

Hi all.. this is a great idea for a contrib and I really hope I can get it working but right now I'm having trouble. Can someone just tell me if what I'm trying to do is possible?

I would like to have RM first, RM second and Airmail only. In theory if I just copy those modules into the shipping directory and relevant language files into correct place, and comment out the limits code (as requested I think, although this sentence in the install instructions is a little ambiguous "PLEASE OPEN THE ROYAL MAIL MODULES AND REMOVE THE LIMITS") should everything work fine?

Thanks in advance. Ben.

Also, If I get this working I plan to add a Surface mail shipping option. Will this be of use to anyone?

Ok I was going to try and be patient and wait for an answer but I HAD to keep trying to get this fixed.

I rolled back to a backup taken before i started trying to add this contribution, then followed the instructions letter by letter and installed all the modules, and I get this:

ukrmbroke.gif

for 1 x product costing ?9.00 and weighing 0.80.

My 'Shipping/Packaging' properties are:

Country of Origin United Kingdom

Postal Code NONE

Enter the Maximum Package Weight you will ship 15

Package Tare weight. 0.500

Larger packages - percentage increase. 0

Thanks for any guidance. Ben

Looking at what you have posted the contrib is working fine, the Royal Mail Second class is exceeding, as you have a total weight of 1.3Kg (0.8Kg plus the Tare Weight 0.5Kg)

It seems though you have removed the limits from the second class module, if the limits were still in place, the postage options would not show up if exceeded.

Looking at what you have posted the contrib is working fine, the Royal Mail Second class is exceeding, as you have a total weight of 1.3Kg (0.8Kg plus the Tare Weight 0.5Kg)

It seems though you have removed the limits from the second class module, if the limits were still in place, the postage options would not show up if exceeded.

Ok thanks for replying (and to the PM), it must be something else then probably to do with my 'much-tweaked-and-hacked' install. The limits are still in place in the setup that generated that screeny.

I need to spend some time looking at a few other jobs for a couple of days but might try to come back to this at the weekend. Maybe its something to do with my actual php (windows) install, so i'll try it on a test server.

Cheers, Ben.

I am getting weight errors on my cart. The cart show the weight as 0.1kg, but on the shipping screen, second class is not available saying I have exceeded the 1kg limt

Any ideas?

Apologies, forgot the tare weight was located elsewhere in the admin section, and found it was set at 2!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all :)

first of all, great job on that contribution! I must say I've been fighting with the shipping prices for quite a while now (it's way too complicated IMO ...) and couldn't find a simple way to deal with it ... until now!

But I was wondering how the contribution was dealing with sizes? Because as far as I've seen in the code, the only limits are on the weight, right?

Anybody found a solution that combines weight and sizes?

For example, a Second Class letter under 100g costs 23p with royal Mail. But the max dimensions are Length: 240mm, Width: 165mm, Thickness: 5mm ...

Any ideas?

...Anybody found a solution that combines weight and sizes?...

For example, a Second Class letter under 100g costs 23p with royal Mail. But the max dimensions are Length: 240mm, Width: 165mm, Thickness: 5mm ...

Hi, I'm not using this contrib as I couldn't get it working, but the way I've handled that is to always use the 'packet' tariff for uk stuff, and the 'small-packets' tariff for international stuff. I decided that almost anything I send out will be over the small or large letters size/weight limit.

So unless you are sending out something really small and light often, and you have really picky customers, this 'policy' will probably work for you too.

Ok thanks for the tip ;)

As I have a wide range of products, including some light but bulky ones, I think I'm going to put the 'Individual Product Shipping Price' contribution instead of this one.

That might involve some more work to get a price on each product but at least that will be fair for customers ...

Anyway if anybody has another solution I'm still interested :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have an installation error, on the shipping module page in admin i get

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Warning: main(/home/sites/iMYSITE.co.uk/public_html/2006/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmfirst.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such device in /home/sites/MYSITE.co.uk/public_html/2006/admin/modules.php on line 128

Warning: main(/home/sites/MYSITE.co.uk/public_html/2006/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmfirst.php) [function.main]: failed to open stream: No such device in /home/sites/MYSITE.co.uk/public_html/2006/admin/modules.php on line 128

Warning: main() [function.include]: Failed opening '/home/sites/MYSITE.co.uk/public_html/2006/includes/languages/english/modules/shipping/rmfirst.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/pear') in /home/sites/MYSITE.co.uk/public_html/2006/admin/modules.php on line

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

whats it telling me is wrong and how can i fix it?

Thanks!

Ps - great contrib for us brits, hope you can fix my error!

Edited by davidandrews

Query on shipping

Ok, i have installed and its all working, but i have a query

I have set an item to 0.5kg and the weight shows the following pricing results:

Royal Mail 1st Class Standard

Delivery Weight : 0.5 Kg's (Ships normally within 1 to 3 days) ?1.70

Royal Mail 2nd Class Standard

Delivery Weight : 0.5 Kg's (Ships normally within 3 to 5 days) ?1.39

Royal Mail 1st Class Recorded

Delivery Weight : 0.5 Kg's (Insured upto ?32.00, ships within 1 to 3 days) ?2.38

Royal Mail 2nd Class Recorded

Delivery Weight : 0.5 Kg's (Insured upto ?32.00, ships within 3 to 5 days) ?2.07

Royal Mail Standard Parcels

Delivery Weight : 0.5 Kg's (Insured upto ?500.00, ships within 3 to 5 days) ?4.85

Royal Mail Special Delivery

Delivery Weight : 0.5 Kg's (Insured upto ?2500.00, ships Nextday) ?6.00

This ties in perfectly with the values, but how do i ensure that a large packet is adjusted as such to match in with royal mails new posting of items for larger packages?

Or does this contain "old values"?

its a superb contribution and many thanks for it, just trying to get my head around it.....

best wishes

Samantha and david andrews

Thanks for this fab code folks! It really was everything I was looking for!

I seem to have it all uploaded and all prices are looking good, the only problem I have is getting the actual Royal Mail images to appear? Has anyone else has this? They are all uploaded and are on ftp but when you go to checkout out you just get the blank x spaces where they should be.

I am quite new to all of this game so if have missed glaringly obvious out please help!

Thanks

Jenny